Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The same size rear tire on some FZ-09's look wider than others, even when they read 180/55 on the sidewall. I'm not talking about other sizes here, just the stock size 180/55 for the rear on the stock 5.5 inch wide rim. I have a Michelin Pilot Road 4 on the rear and it must be the narrowest of the brands in size 180/55. The Angel GT and the stock Dunlops look wider in the same size. When the dealer eyeballed it with a tape measure, he said the stock Dunlops were about a 1/2 inch wider than my new PR4.

I can't find anything on the ACTUAL measurement straight across each brand of tire in this size, so I'm hoping we can get users to share their actual tire width until we have most of the brands represented in size 180/55. Those of us that want a wider looking tire for aesthetics and give up some turn-in ability (covered in depth in other posts on here) we can use this reference accomplish our goal.

For consistency, the tire should be mounted to your stock 5.5 inch wide rim, inflated to the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure, raised on a track stand, and measured cold. I used pieces of a 2x4 that were good and straight to use on each side of the tire from top to bottom to have a good straight-line measurement (pic attached). We'll have a small margin of error using our own tape measures (wish I had a caliper), but it will give us a good idea of how much variance between brands there is. If someone at a tire dealership has access to brands and a more accurate way to measure, please share your findings.

Here's mine - Michelin Pilot Road 4 180/55 (500 miles on it and inflated to 36 PSI) = 6 7/8 inches wide (175mm)

List so far:
---Width in inches and if the manufacturer's website shows a measure, I placed it in parenthesis---

Michelin Pilot Road 4...6 7/8

Shinko Hook-up Drag...6 7/8

Shinko Raven...7

Michelin Pilot Power 3...7

Bridgestone Battlax S21...7 1/4 (184 mm)

Avon Storm 3D X-M...7 1/4 (188 mm)

Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3...7 1/2 *for an aspect ratio of 60, need a measure for 55

Dunlop Q3 Sportmax...??? (7.37" or 187 mm)

Pirelli Angel GT...???

Nudge your pals riding on the Q3, Angel GT, and any others to contribute. Thanks for sharing so far, pretty interesting

Attachments

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Those of us that want a wider looking tire for aesthetics and give up some turn-in ability (covered in depth in other posts on here) we can use this reference accomplish our goal.
Never, ever base something as important as tire choice on aesthetics unless it's just a show bike and never actually ridden.
What planet are you from and do the same laws of physics apply there?

·
Super Moderator
5,712 Posts
Wow..........OP was slammed on his first post. Did anyone even bother to say welcome to the forum?

OnThree.......Welcome to the forum. Once you get to know everyone.....if you stick around that long, most of them are harmless.....mostly!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Welcome. Don't mind Mr Rat, he's fine when you get to know him.:friendly_wink:

Just measured mine 175mm, tyre's the same, PR4

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
OnThree..., sorry if my post sounded a little mean, but the thought of basing tire choice on aesthetics horrified me. I was going for humor with the other planet thing.
Also, I might be a little stressed out right now; I'm scheduled for cancer surgery this Thursday morning.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
i put a 190/55 on my ducati 1098S rear wheel that is on my honda vfr 800.
because of the ninja 250 seat and subframe, the 190 looks like a 240 section.

dont change the tyre, just change the seat unit.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
OnThree..., sorry if my post sounded a little mean, but the thought of basing tire choice on aesthetics horrified me. I was going for humor with the other planet thing.
Also, I might be a little stressed out right now; I'm scheduled for cancer surgery this Thursday morning.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully caught early?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I agree with the OP...and that is a 180 tire should be 180mm wide. I wouldn't expect a 16" tire to be 15.5" either.
Run 15 psi, that'll fatten it up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For those of you who want the wide tire look, and are not willing give up good handling, go with a 60 series tire. I have a 180-60-17 diablo corsa on now and it's 7.5" and handles great. It is just shy of 1" taller though, so I dropped 1 tooth on the front sprocket

1 - 19 of 19 Posts