Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my accident that I can't remember, I want to get a camera to record my commute. And maybe weekend rides.

What do you guys have/use, and where do you mount it?
What's the best feature of it?

I'm wondering about battery life, waterproof ness, and if they automatically record over themselves.
Cheers for the help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if its chest rigged , the new entry level go pro hero is pretty good

if its helmet mounted, go for a more aerodynamic shape imho (pod like)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think a camera is an excellent idea for a commuter. Maybe we should all use them to protect ourselves, like the police are having to do. I have a GoPro2, with a 32GB card, the battery will run out before the card. Battery life is also shorter if you use the Wi-Fi remote.
I have tried, the Ram mount, on the bike, and top and side mount on my helmet. I could not feel the camera on my helmet, other than a little add weight. Of course I was traveling at legal speeds. The GoPro2 will make video, and still images. You can select quite a few options, you would do well to check out the website. The GoPro software is pretty good. Also competition has sprung up, that is always good. The GoPro has sort of become the gold standard for this type of camera, the case is excellent and I've seen videos where the camera survived that were amazing. I agree with ktk ace, the new little GoPro is looking interesting, I got my camera on close-out for less that $200 and it came with good selections of mounts. Hope this helps. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
OP - how long is your commute?

Constantly on a gopro only lasts a couple of hours. You can buy bigger batter packs but not for the entry level one that just came out. If your commute is under an hour the new cheap gopro is great or I believe the contour 3 ? Whatever the contour entry level one would be good as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased the GoPro 4 Black (Great deal on Owners forum for $375 with Touchscreen backpack) and have used it to record my rides/commute. There are GoPros at every level now starting at $129.99 and that one would probably work fine as long as your commute isn't more than an hour or so since the battery isn't removable. You could then charge it at work and use it to go home as well with a fresh battery.

Mounting location wise my helmet Kabuto Aeroblade III doesn't set up for me to place the GoPro where I would like (On the chin) but the chesty was actually a nice location for it. The only downside is you can't see where I'm looking, only forward.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OP - how long is your commute?

Constantly on a gopro only lasts a couple of hours. You can buy bigger batter packs but not for the entry level one that just came out. If your commute is under an hour the new cheap gopro is great or I believe the contour 3 ? Whatever the contour entry level one would be good as well.
anywhwre form 25 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic.
trying to avoid the go pro because it looks like you have a cigarette packet attached to your helmet - the sena looks pricey, but good.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Check out the contours. Good helmet mounts and low profile. Sony makes a decent one too but not as compact as the contour

·
Registered
311 Posts
The garmin virb/virb elite are pretty cool since they have GPS built in and their software allows map overlays (a small silhouette of the road you're on and your exact location on it) as well as speed, which could be very useful for your intended purpose

- ipx 7 water & shock proof
- 2000 mAh battery (aprox 3 hrs record time)
- can accept up to 64gb microsd card so storage should not be an issue
- 1080p
- gps / speed / altitude recorded
- giant flip switch so you can always know whether its on by feel
- elite version has wifi and has a smartphone app for control through the app ( has a remote as well)
- has desktop software
- takes still pix

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
987 Posts
I use the Modius Action Camera for my forward facing camera and the Innovv C3 as my rear camera. The C3 lens is just above the license plate the the main camera is under the seat.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how hard are the contours to aim?

thanks for the advice, guys, keep it coming if there are other options.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I use a gopro hero 3 black, with a 32 gig card and the battery backpack. completely waterproof in sealed case up to 60' underwater so rain wont affect it. you can go older model to save money but this is by far the best camera ive used for video on a bike. im sure the 4 is better, ive never had the 2 but this one is night and day difference better than the original. I have a clear touring screen on the bike with the camera on a ram mount behind it (screen has to be clear, smoked will look like solid paint on video)

this is the camera described but still on my SV650, this is also dumbed down 4 or 5 settings from what the camera is capable of so that my older laptop doesn't stroke out while editing the footage

·
Registered
654 Posts
by comparison this is old footage from an original gopro with the fish eye lense

·
Registered
654 Posts
apologies for the triple posts, this is a very cool feature, you can tell it to take still pics and how often then edit them together to make a movie which ends up with great night time visuals, heres an example (this is from the hero3 but the original has the same feature just not the picture quality)

Reactions: Safoo71

·
Registered
213 Posts
I use a Sony HDR-AS30V on my bike and it's a great action cam. It includes a couple of mounts that it will snap right into (one curved and one flat) and I simply zip-tied one of the mounts to my handlebars. I don't like the idea of mounting a camera to my helmet as it could snag or apply pressure to the spot that it is mounted on in the event of a wreck. I bought a 64GB micro-sd card for dirt cheap and it will record about 10 hrs of video at 1080p. This camera includes GPS tracking if you want to track your route and speed. With GPS turned on it averages about 2 hours of battery life, with GPS off about 3+ hrs. It is waterproof in the included enclosure which also protects the lease from bugs and other objects as you ride.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I also use the contour roam2 with a ram ball attached to the bottom of it. I normally have it attached to the handle bars and its super easy to aim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm considering the Contour Roam 2. It's just $100 and I just want to record my daily commute.
How does the bar mount hold on a motorcycle? Their website shows it fits bicycles

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
apologies for the triple posts, this is a very cool feature, you can tell it to take still pics and how often then edit them together to make a movie which ends up with great night time visuals, heres an example (this is from the hero3 but the original has the same feature just not the picture quality)
That is a cool feature. How often were you taking pics?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts