3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check this out:

2015 Yamaha FZ-07 | FIRST RIDE

What do you think now.......???
ah decisions decisions. I just bought my FZ-09 last Thursday, and I was about to sit down to sign on the dotted line, when they were wheeling out a liquid grey Fz-07. I had to think things over, and like you Steve, was trading up from the Honda CBR500r. I talked myself into the 09 over the 07 thinking that the 07 wouldn't be a substantial enough upgrade over the 500r I was riding.

I must say, after reading the reviews and watching some youtube videos on the Fz-07 I'm experiencing a slight case of buyers remorse.

The Fz-09 is an amazing machine, but to be 100% satisfied, I will have to invest at least in suspension upgrades and a new seat. It was tough enough getting the wife on board with the upgrade to the Fz-09. another grand in mods is not something that is going to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
ah decisions decisions. I just bought my FZ-09 last Thursday, and I was about to sit down to sign on the dotted line, they were wheeling out a liquid grey Fz-07. I had to think things over, and like you Steve, was trading up from the Honda CBR500r. I talked myself into the 09 over the 07 thinking that the 07 wouldn't be a substantial enough upgrade over the 500r I was riding.

I must say, after reading the reviews and watching some youtube videos on the Fz-07 I'm experiencing a slight case of buyers remorse.

The Fz-09 is an amazing machine, but to be 100% satisfied, I will have to invest at least in suspension upgrades and a new seat. It was tough enough getting the wife on board with the upgrade to the Fz-09. another grand in mods is not something that is going to happen anytime soon.
I haven't rode the FZ07 but i can't imagine the suspension being substantially better. You'd likely have to invest a similar amount either way IMO (i just don't think Yamaha would add better suspension to a cheaper bike). With that being said - if i were to invest my time and money into 1 rig over another - i'm glad i'd pick the 09 given the power is nothing something i'd get tired of any time soon.

With the FZ07 i'd feel like i'd have to make a similar amount of major mods and after i did that - i'd be wanting more power anyway.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
How much does the FZ-07 weigh vs. the 09? ...less weight could make the same craptastic suspension feel better.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think some other reviews try and say the same. Sean from Revzilla (earlier was in RideApart) also prefers it to the 09 but I think he would rather have both for different duties.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How much does the FZ-07 weigh vs. the 09? ...less weight could make the same craptastic suspension feel better.
yamaha has wet weight of 397lbs. Claimed FZ09 wet weight is 414lbs. I'm not experienced enough to know if 17lbs is a major difference.

I do know that if i eat a five guys cheeseburger vs. a salad - it takes me 5 seconds longer to get off the couch.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yamaha has wet weight of 397lbs. Claimed FZ09 wet weight is 414lbs. I'm not experienced enough to know if 17lbs is a major difference.

I do know that if i eat a 5Guys Cheeseburger and Fries vs. a salad - it takes me 5 seconds longer to get off the couch.
Fixed that for you. Hope you don't mind...

If I go on a diet for several months & lose 17 lbs, will that equal buying a new bike.........and saving $7k...???

Reactions: mrugeFZ-09

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One 5Guys Cheeseburger & Fries = 7 lbs add'l body fat :cool:

Reactions: mrugeFZ-09

·
Registered
263 Posts
After reading that article I definitely want to ride an 07 now but I'm a heavy dude so I'm pretty confident I made the right choice. Could be different after I lose 60lbs.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
This is not actual but in racers terms approx. 7 lbs equates to 1 HP.
what about load on suspension though? Unfortunately i don't know much about the 09 rear shock vs. the 07 - yamaha has "Single shock; adjustable preload; 5.1-in travel & 41mm fork; 5.1-in travel" for both the 07 and 09 - so seems like the shock is the same?

I would assume 17lbs makes a difference on the suspension load - but if the previous shock is set to a weight of 175lbs (i don't know if that's totally true but i remember someone saying that on the forum) - if the new bike sheds 17lbs you could argue an acceptable weight would be more tuned to 192lbs? That's a pretty significant difference - though either way - i'm 215lb geared so i'd personally be looking at suspension and would rather have the extra HP of the 09.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
what about load on suspension though? Unfortunately i don't know much about the 09 rear shock vs. the 07 - yamaha has "Single shock; adjustable preload; 5.1-in travel & 41mm fork; 5.1-in travel" for both the 07 and 09 - so seems like the shock is the same?

I would assume 17lbs makes a difference on the suspension load - but if the previous shock is set to a weight of 175lbs (i don't know if that's totally true but i remember someone saying that on the forum) - if the new bike sheds 17lbs you could argue an acceptable weight would be more tuned to 192lbs? That's a pretty significant difference - though either way - i'm 215lb geared so i'd personally be looking at suspension and would rather have the extra HP of the 09.
Yeah, not sure about all that.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yamaha cut a lot of corners to be able to sell such a ridiculously powerful motorcycle and so much tech for such a low price with the 09. They didn't have to do that with the 07. Comparing stock to stock, the 07 is probably a better all around machine. But with approximately $1500 in upgrades, the 09 turns into one of the best bikes in existence IMO. And it's still a steal even then.

·
Registered
555 Posts
What do I think?

I think dreadlocks or not.............Ari is turning into a bit of a girl.

Kidding.

My issue, would be the non adjustable, non USD forks on the 07. In Yamaha's own words "tuned for comfort and commuting". So I cant imagine it to be any better than the 09 as Ari has stated. Having no adjustability at all is a disadvantage, but then again the target audience isnt the same as the 09 I suppose.

Noted that he mentions that the 07 has wavy rotors like its bigger brother.........my 09 does not have wavy rotors.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Check this out:

2015 Yamaha FZ-07 | FIRST RIDE
What do you think now.......???
No... I have ridden both... No... Oh ya, and i forgot to mention... NO!

You can feel how significantly weaker the bike it, how often do you get a ride on a different bike and are immediately bored?... Not often, but with same exact ergonomics with timid power, its not even as fun as fz9 in b mode.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I agree. I mean dreadlocks? Cmon man. I am a large guy also 6'2" 260lbs. I imagine the power of an SV650 and while they are plenty spunky don't think it would have the liter bike pull of the 09. More upright? Didn't think that was possible. I don't notice my suspension til I start to push it. Maybe the 07 can't push it enough to notice. The throttle? Some of you guys had it fixed but it doesn't bother me too much. Ever ride an SV? Not real smooth either.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ari made a few mistakes in that article including the wavy rotors- didn't we discuss this in another thread? He does get a few things wrong every now and then- everyoe makes mistakes but he is reviewing so accuracy would be appreciated obviously.
Anyway, I think its the simplicity of the 07 that is appealing to a lot of people- and at that price point (&weight), the suspension probably feels much better. When I sat on it, it didn't see much different to the 09 right next to it. It felt cramped to me though- but just by a bit. I am about 6', 32" inseam and weigh under 150lbs. Going by the reviews, it seems like a peach of a motor, esp in that segment- the competition should feel threatened. However, to me, the FZ09 is much better- though I can understand the fun that the 07 can be.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think the most important point was made above regarding the 07............

The competition should feel threatened. The 09 blew everything else away near its price range. The 07 is going to do the same.

Yamaha, are onto some real winning combos, and seem to be getting back in touch with what consumers are wanting today.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think the most important point was made above regarding the 07............

The competition should feel threatened. The 09 blew everything else away near its price range. The 07 is going to do the same.

Yamaha, are onto some real winning combos, and seem to be getting back in touch with what consumers are wanting today.
Particularly the svf650. Suzuki has dragged ass at revamping that bike at that price point. Hopefully they will get the hint once they see their share disappear to Yamaha.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts