Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as the days get shorter and the temps start to tumble towards the winter lows and snow is on the way, the mind turns towards getting our motorcycles ready for the long cold months. I am looking for advice on making sure that I don't have to shell out BIG $$$$ in the spring because of clogged carbs and dead batteries and improper storage.

What I know/planning to do:
#1 pulling the battery and putting it on a battery tender in my office because I don't have enough outlets in my garage
#2 filling the gas tank with stabilized 91 gas and running the bike long enough to fill the carb bowls in the 02 R6 & 80 XS650 (stabilizer suggestions?)
#3 R6 on track stands and the 650 on the center stand to keep from getting flat spots on the tires
#4 Throw a old blanket on them to keep off the dust

Anything past this I am all ears.

Side note: Southerners a.k.a. FL, TX, NV, etc... who don't have to go through this because of your mild winters and year round riding ability, we know :) yes I am jealous but it is a fact of life for us in the North.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
464 Posts
StarTron is good fuel stabilizer/treatment, when i used to work at a boat marina thats all we would sell, nothing else, i actually just picked some up for the fz yesterday. just make sure you fill your tank to the top to prevent as much condensation as possible

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
StarTron is good fuel stabilizer/treatment, when i used to work at a boat marina thats all we would sell, nothing else, i actually just picked some up for the fz yesterday. just make sure you fill your tank to the top to prevent as much condensation as possible
Thanks for reminding me I am also adding Dry Gas to the fuel mix.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Not sure how hard it would be on the newer bikes. But the older bikes with carbs, you should be able to take the tanks off drain the fuel, and open the screws on the carbs and completely drain any fuel in the bikes. That is you best bet.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Fill the fuel tanks, air up the tires , change the oil,plug in a battery tender and add your fuel stabilizer of choicer..I prefer Star Tron.
This is what I do and Ive never had a problem....2 street bikes, 2 quads and 2 dirt bikes all get the same treatment..well, the dirt bikes dont get a battery tender.Ive never had a fuel problem on any machine over the winter , lawn mowers included .
As a note, my snow blower also spends its whole summer with a tank of Star Tron and it has never failed to start in the winter when needed

The 09 will get spoiled this year and spend its winter holiday up on stands..most likely with a bunch of parts missing. :tongue4:

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
So as the days get shorter and the temps start to tumble towards the winter lows and snow is on the way, the mind turns towards getting our motorcycles ready for the long cold months. I am looking for advice on making sure that I don't have to shell out BIG $$$$ in the spring because of clogged carbs and dead batteries and improper storage.

What I know/planning to do:
#1 pulling the battery and putting it on a battery tender in my office because I don't have enough outlets in my garage
#2 filling the gas tank with stabilized 91 gas and running the bike long enough to fill the carb bowls in the 02 R6 & 80 XS650 (stabilizer suggestions?)
#3 R6 on track stands and the 650 on the center stand to keep from getting flat spots on the tires
#4 Throw a old blanket on them to keep off the dust

Anything past this I am all ears.

Side note: Southerners a.k.a. FL, TX, NV, etc... who don't have to go through this because of your mild winters and year round riding ability, we know :) yes I am jealous but it is a fact of life for us in the North.

Thanks for your input!
Hey Florida here. Thanks for the honorable mention;

For what it's worth, our summers Suck. You can't imagine how much rain we get every day, in addition to humidity that's at least 75-95% daily. Summers down here basically sideline most of us for 10-12 weeks, minimum. And the roads are so flat & straight I've got more chicken strips than a KFC. :cool:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's also a good time to lube your cables and pivots and do a nut and bolt check. That way come spring, just check your tire pressures, fire her up and drive. :)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
It's also a good time to lube your cables and pivots and do a nut and bolt check. That way come spring, just check your tire pressures, fire her up and drive. :)
Every day is a good day to lube your cables.:)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fizzer is also right about seafoam, great stuff I love it, I just personally use it more as a cleaner than a stabilizer even though I did use it last year on my kawi

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If you can't get the tires off the ground, I'd at least put them on something, bar minimum a piece of cardboard or wood. Concrete floor is bad for sucking the moisture out of tires.

+1 for full tanks with fuel stabilizer, battery on a battery tender, lubed chain, and bike on a stand if you can.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I insulated the crap out of my garage and got a little oil filled heater. My wife thinks I did it for the dog but nothin's too good for my mutts and machines. I've always used Sta-bil, guess I just never tried the other stuff. 40+ degrees is time to run 'em for 10-20 miles. Colorado uses sand instead of salt on the roads so it can be a little scary. Cold air with the extra O2 makes a noticeable difference in performance but my hands go numb after a while, even with ski gloves on. Been thinkin' about heated units, but I don't ride in the cold as much as I used to. Full tank and battery tender is good advice. I'm gonna try the cardboard idea until I can afford some stands.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you guys cannot drain your gas tank and insist on filling it up for storage. Then at least try to get ethanol free gas.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Filled my V-Max with ethanol free premium yesterday. Will ride some when weather permits. Hopefully there will be some windows to get some miles in on the FZ. Ethanol free gas for her also (for the semi-dormant months).

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hook the battery up to a battery tender
Put fuel stabilizer in the tank along with a FULL tank of gas
Get the wheels up off the ground somehow
Give it an oil change first thing when you pull it out from storage in the Spring

That's about it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Even though I do a fresh oil change, why is it necessary? I've always just been a sheep with that, never done oil changes in any other toys besides the streetbike.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Oil gradually accumulates acids as a byproduct of the combustion process. That's why it's better to change the oil in the fall right before storage; that way the bike doesn't sit for months with acids in the oil potentially causing damage to engine internals.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Even though I do a fresh oil change, why is it necessary? I've always just been a sheep with that, never done oil changes in any other toys besides the streetbike.
The idea behind changing the oil before storing it is that you want to get all the moisture and acidic combustion by products out that will potentiality be siting inside your engine. .

leaving dirty oil in is probably not going to kill anything, but I feel better knowing that the oil siting in my machines for 4 months is clean

EDIT: Yoyodyne typed faster than me..:)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts