Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new bike last night. I've only ridden it from the dealer to home. Had to work today and it also got real cold. I'm off Friday and the weather should be good. A couple of comments: The first time I stopped at a traffic light my right leg interfered with the engine case. It may not be a problem. It just depends on how hot the case gets next summer. The manual states it is for models FZ-09E and C. I'm wondering what that means - more versions coming? The break-in instructions say to avoid prolonged operation above 5600 rpm for the first 600 mi and 6800 rpm for 1000 mi. Anyway, it was rush hour and the freeway was stop and go so I stayed on the surface streets. Didn't have much chance to feel it out but it feels like it wants to go. Slow speed throttle action seems to reveal significant driveline snatch. The sound under full throttle is awesome (brief operation).
ED

·
Registered
36 Posts
I picked up my bike about 2 weeks ago and I have about 1100 sport touring type of miles on it. 44 mpg initially then up to 54 mpg trying to see what I could get out of it. What a sweet engine. I am amazed at how cool the engine runs 154 - 158 F. Probably hotter in the summer. I was running 30 psi front and 34 rear with the stock Dunlops. The front tire pressure is probably good for the track but under hard street braking the wheel wants to pull into the turn. I'll try 32 psi and see how it does. Can't wait to tidy the tail get a little fly screen to tidy the front.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The first time I stopped at a traffic light my right leg interfered with the engine case. It may not be a problem.
ED
The plastic cover on the case will keep your leg off of it. I noticed it the first couple of rides too, but once you're used to it being there you automatically move your leg out so it doesn't hit.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Welcome, and grats!

What I've seen based on asking folks on my VIN list is that JYARN33E0 is a prefix for a non CA bike, JYARN33Y8 is a CA bike.

Speaking of which, mind posting your bike info on my VIN list? (link in my sig)
Mine is JYARN33E3EA... #234

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
N2faster: It is good to hear that mpg is better than reported elsewhere. As far as the tire pressure, the manual specifies 36F/42R, quite a bit higher than the 33/36 on my FZ-6R. I need to verify what they set it at. I've heard that the suspension is soft but so far it feels really good on Houston's rough streets.

Eolith: VIN is JYARN33E6EA000728. What are your plans for that list?

I hope I am using this forum correctly. My mind is still in the last century.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The VIN list is purely for the members to get a sense of how many bikes there are, where they fall in the lists; but mainly it was someone else's idea, people seemed to identify with it as it kind of represents a sequential bike production, and I was willing to manage it and keep it updated with a simple excel sheet with formulae to put the forum BBCode table together.

...from my phone...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I spent today riding my recumbent but rode the FZ-09 yesterday. Life is tough when there is more than activity to soak up your time. I have a couple more observations. It is really easy to bring the front end up. Similar, I guess, to the Ducati Hypermotard if my son can be believed. The riding position feels like dirt bikes I've had in the past. I'm sure that high center of gravity contributes greatly to being wheelie prone. Based on all the excitement from pulling wheelies in first and second before I could blink, I GOT MY MONEY"S WORTH! It seems to be getting stronger each time I ride. I assume the computer is learning my riding habits. Filled up the gas tank for the first time. It took 2.5 gallons, 0.5 gallons less than my FZ-6R. There are no curvy canyon roads around here. The nearest are a few curves near Brazos Bend, separated by long straights. My chicken strips are destined to remain wide.
Ed

1 - 12 of 12 Posts