Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide whether to upgrade the brake lines and pads but keep the ABS or remove it altogether on my 21 MT09 SP. I’m setting it up for strictly track day use.

Anyone have experience pre and post ABS?

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
I personally don't like ABS for the track. I need direct feedback from the lever with as little tubing as possible. Ever since I upgraded my master cylinder to the Galespeed unit, I've been extremely satisfied with braking confidence.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have yet to have a bike with ABS and like MK3Brent, I want all the feel I can get at the lever. I went with an R1 master cylinder and am happy with it.

·
Vendor
1,994 Posts
at the track the ABS drives me nuts, I fully deleted it , on the new bike you will need an ABS module to prevent the bike from locking you out of the menus. FTECU is still working on it with the 21-22.

this is what you will need once they get it figured out for the new bike

Yamaha ABS Delete (vcyclenut.com)

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
I went from an ABS equipped bike to non ABS on the 09, I can live without it. Not so much on our cars though. Bikes are much more of a sensory experience, you get a much better feel for what all the bits are doing than in a cage. Plus, fingers are much better than feet. Ask your wife/GF.

• Haha
Reactions: vcyclenut

·
Registered
Batmobile
1,137 Posts
I run ABS at the track, doesn't bother me at all..just a preference.

·
Registered
Batmobile
1,137 Posts
I usually am hard on both brakes until I tip in and then it's all front trailing, I feel it kick in, just doesn't bother me. Left my traction control on at Roebling and that almost was a bad time though.

Just gonna say, some people ask to get bumped, some of us get recognized by the coaches. 🤷‍♂️🤣

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
282 Posts
I had no issue with the ABS on track ,but yeah I use just the front brake. When you brake hard with the rear, ABS does get easily involved.
TC in track, at least for me ,is a must. I was used on using full throttle in the apex, mainly because I had a 70 hp bike, but on a 120hp one,doing that is a guaranteed high side.
I think that Yamaha should really have a Supermoto Mode for the ABS like the KTMs do. I mean it's just a software issue, is it so hard to implement that? No one (who knows how to ride at least) crashed because his rear wheel locked.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Having been an off-road guy first, I use the rear brake a bunch. I trail brake with both brakes, but the rear brake is also my traction control when I get on the gas hard when I'm cranked over. Old School, but that’s the way I like it.

·
Registered
2020 XSR9, Shock Factory M rear, K-Tech fork pistons
157 Posts
ABS off for me, Yamaha system is just to sensitive when tyres are hot and lacks feel. On my previous Tuono V4 the ABS was still connected and had so much more feel with Goodridge hoses compared to the Yam

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Everyone has a slightly different style preference. The perfect setup for one rider may not work at all for someone else. Today we are blessed (or cursed) with rider aids to do at least some of the work. Every high-end (expensive) racing team has an engineer whose job it is to make software adjustments to accommodate a riders preferences. In the years before they became as sophisticated it was the riders that had to learn to adapt to the bike rather than have the bike adapting to the rider.
Think of all the great riders both past and present that could ride a wild horse bike that no one else could. Casey Stoner is one more recent example. Marc Marquez maybe also but is it a case of just a coincidence of a bike that fit his style or his ability to adapt? I will have to wait some more to make a decision on that one.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I personally don't like ABS for the track. I need direct feedback from the lever with as little tubing as possible. Ever since I upgraded my master cylinder to the Galespeed unit, I've been extremely satisfied with braking confidence.
Which Galespeed did you go to? I've started this rabbit hole on the R1.

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Which Galespeed did you go to? I've started this rabbit hole on the R1.
17mm VRC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts