Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

? about these suspension mods on a used bike

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  topsy 
#1 ·
Looking at used FZ-09s with suspension mods already completed.

I found one that has a Penske double clicker shock and .90 springs from Traxxion, setup for a 185 lb rider.

I weigh 205. I'm not a particularly aggressive rider, but I like to ride the N. Georgia mountain area.

I'm assuming this setup, while not ideal, will still be much better than stock for me. Opinions?

#4 ·
I'm 200 with gear and a relatively tame rider. I'm surviving w/o any problem with the Stock Setup which is far from ideal. Post #2 nailed it for you :cool:

#5 ·
You will be fine.

If you want it tuned closer to your weight and riding style you might have to put in heavier springs but probably not.

I suggest calling Traxxion Dynamics for their advice as they are great at determining what you probably want based on your weight and riding style/expectations and can compare the set up in the bike you are buying.

#6 ·
One other thing, request the stock parts from the original owner as well. That always adds to the resale value later as the mods can be reversed if desired. Can't imagine why one would reverse the suspension mods on an FZ09 unless they were totally screwed up.

#8 ·
No doubt the additional cost to you is justified.

#17 ·
You will not be disappointed. Suspension upgrade is huge on this bike. My Penske shock has a 600 lb/in spring. Stock is 550

#18 ·
Well, I lost out on the bike I was discussing, owner decided to keep it. I passed on an '09 at a dealer for $6900, it had less than 1000 miles. Next, I almost had a deal for a 500 mile bike for $6,300, but the owner sold it locally (I was about 4 hours away). I also saw one sell on ebay for $6,100, 30 miles on it, lol. Maybe some day .... but also looking at other makes/models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.