Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was out on the rocket, and was driving down a road that has a centre median that is raised about 4 feet, basically the same sensation as riding next to a brick wall. The wall was on the left side. I did notice that i could hear a very loud ticking noise from the left hand side of the bike (i imagine the wall was reflecting the sound back). I cannot hear this noise at any other time. I figure it was the chain, but i've never noticed this on any other bike. Today i inspected it and lubed it. Everything looks OK - i do noticed that the top of the chain does not have a lot of clearane on top of the swing arm guard.

Any one else noticed this?

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
With a bike this new and if your chain is properly adjusted and lubricated, I'd say there is nothing to worry about. If you've got a rear stand, put the bike on it and start the bike up and put it in gear. Shift it into 2nd and 3rd and slowly increase the throttle.....you'll hear some chain noise........that's normal unless you hear some serious clicking like a link is frozen up or something.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also hear the whine in 6 th gear I was wondering if this is normal and does anyone know what is causing it:cool:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Rapid Red... the chain would appear to touch the swingarm guard on ANY new bike while on the sidestand. When you ride the bike....the swingarm goes up as well as the rear sprocket which in turn makes the chain ride higher than it would parked on the sidestand. The gear whine in high gear is normal for this bike as was stated in many of the magazine articles.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I also hear the whine in 6 th gear I was wondering if this is normal and does anyone know what is causing it:cool:
I have whine in 6th gear too. It sounds like a straight cut gear to me, but it's just not quite loud enough for me to believe that's what it actually is. Unless 6th gear is cut on a different angle than the rest of the gearbox?? :confused:

Someone smarter than me will figure it out :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
The gears in this type transmission are all straight cut, except maybe the primary gears. For some reason some gear pairs are quiet and some are loud. I wouldn't be surprised if the later 09s eventually lose the whine, after Yamaha sees enough of the complaints in the forums.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm betting all the gears are straight cut

From the UK website
You can also check Yamahas Microfish on the USA website - but I like the picture best

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Ah... That answers that. It's definitely not as ear-splitting as the straight-cut gearboxes I'm used to... Lol. Thanks for enlightening me.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
The only time I've had mine in 6th gear, I was at about 130 MPH and I couldn't hear anything over the wind noise....even with molded ear plugs in.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
moo
Did you hit the speed limiter yet?
I will on Saturday.....I'm doing a track day at Road Atlanta. The back straightaway coming out of T7 is long enough to see approx. 175MPH on a liter bike, so I'm sure the FZ will top out long before 10 A/B

Reactions: Stellmon and v2Bob

·
Registered
151 Posts
TO solve the problem install a loud exhaust! My fz6 was so quite it freaked me out, I could hear the chain and even the brakes, got used to it, no problem on the FZ9. Still hear the chain and brakes just does not bother me any more

1 - 15 of 15 Posts