Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had the FZ for a year now, and I'd have to say it's been a great bike. I knew they're were things that I'd have to address; This was fine with me, I mess with everything I own.

Wheels: painted graphite, then painted satin black, and finally painted gloss black, Angled Aluminum Valves added
Brakes: Speigler Front Brake Lines
Suspension: Front Forks:90 kg Springs with 10wt fork oil Rear Shock: 2008 ZX10
Engine: M-4 Slip On Stoltec ECU Flash APE Manual CCT
Controls: Grips (?) Shorty Levers (?) Throttlemeister Throttle Lock Wrist Rest
Windscreen (s): Summer 30cm Ermax Winter: Cee Bailey Screen (with No Predrilled holes mounted with Brackets I fabricated)
Foot pegs: (?) Rubber on top to absorb Vibration
Load Carrying: Yamaha Rear Rack 49L Coo Case
Tires: Bridgestone (OEM) , Continental Conti Motion , Shinko 003 Stealth

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Car Windshield Speedometer Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motorcycle accessories Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Automotive tire Vehicle Windshield Auto part Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You are racking miles up at about the same rate as me.

I have had mine around 10 months and have 10700 miles.

Such a great bike.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is. Nothing's perfect out of the box, this one just needed a little more than most. No regrets. Out of 63 bikes I've owned, this is only the 4th new one. I still have plans for hard bags and stretching the tank, so I guess I'm FJ'n it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well done! Like the all black treatment and the small details. How are the Shinkos?

Somehow staying out of the country for about to weeks slowed the mile for me..but nearing 9000 miles in a year.
Got the same case and seems like I am going to be FJ-ing it even more myself. Getting the sump guard, a new seat & footpeg extenders for the wife and possible side hard cases too. Maybe a center-stand in the future.

What are you planning for hard cases? Retrofitting a Givi/Shad brackets?\

And any ideas on the tank?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The black treatment is the tool dip spray. It's been on since spring, and no signs of wear. The plates above the foot pegs are another story, I've re-shot them a couple of times. You told me about the CooCases that went on sale at Twisted Throttle; $85 with the mount, thanks Motorock. I've got aluminum boxes that I still need to finish the lids and figure out mounting and latches. I bought a wrecked tank that I stare at trying to figure where it's going to get cut and stretched. A center stand will happen sometime down the road. I absolutely love the Shinkos. I bought them for a track school, got lazy, and left them on, and they held up really well. I'm at work, otherwise I could tell mileage. I will say that I'm surprised that they held up so well considering how soft they are. The Throttlemeister is the deal for distance too.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Yes, I remember how you cleaned up the coocase plate- and how I kept it as it is because it was cramping up room for my passenger.
As for the tank, is it not possible to increase the height down the center of the tank- like a hump? and maybe increase the hump on the sides that site just under where the handlebar comes close to the tank.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are two vent lines that must be considered. I'm thinking of taking the rear hump and pulling it back three inches at the top. After taking in place, look at getting a little more width above the knee. These are all thoughts, I haven't cut into it yet. I though about cutting it just in front of the filler, and moving it all back. I'm not wanting to raise the height any in the front, because I'm concerned with clearing the bars' turning path.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Congrats on the safe miles! Nice.

Reactions: Thantos

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sold my R1100GS in May. Before that, I split up the riding and commuting pretty equally between the two. The GS was better in the cold. I only ride the SV 650 about 1k a year. It's my wife bike, and you know how that goes. It's all set up for her, and riding it, I feeling like a monkey taking liberties from a football. With most of the riding now going to the FZ, mileage will go up quite a bit. I know the current windscreen is ugly as hell, but it works well (transformed) the FZ for cold riding. As the Airheads say: "Function over form, fact over fiction, and friendship over friction."

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There are two vent lines that must be considered. I'm thinking of taking the rear hump and pulling it back three inches at the top. After taking in place, look at getting a little more width above the knee. These are all thoughts, I haven't cut into it yet. I though about cutting it just in front of the filler, and moving it all back. I'm not wanting to raise the height any in the front, because I'm concerned with clearing the bars' turning path.
How about something like this for the tank? Some on top-center, some on the shoulder flanks- all out of the way of the handlebars.

On another note, did you do all your own service for all these miles?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like your tank design. I'm not sure that the vent tubes would allow for the rise in the center. Going with that design, I may need to cut the tubes and attach immersible fuel injection lines to the required length. Also, it's easier to cut and weld on the flat areas. As to maintenance, yes I've done it, but it has been much easier than most bikes I've owned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts