Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My long time friend, Greg (Bird) Calhoun, co-host of the Electric KoolAid for the Road podcast series decided last week to move his late father's 1965 Sears Allstate Puch 250 Twingle on to it's final resting place

The Bird donated the restored (1965) Sears 250 to the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum this past Thursday. Bird and his Poppa Bill spent many hours sourcing parts and researching their little project. Bird's dad passed in 2010. The museum folks were well cuffed to get her, especially as they did not have a 250 Puch in their collection. AMA Hall of Famer, Brian Slark, Technical Director of the museum, was very complimentary on the level of restoration and he commented that it had been just the night before where he had read a wonderful article about this unique bike. Poppa Bill is surely smiling in Heaven, knowing that his work will forever be alongside the best on two wheels...in what is without question, the world's greatest collection of motorcycles.

As for me, I was brought along to help transport the bike for it's ride out to the museum and as we pulled the straps off, and eased that 50 year-old motorbike down the trailer ramp, I grew quiet. Bird slowly wheeled that piece of family history into the building and then lowered the kickstand one final time, leaving the Puch parked up right next to Dave Sadowski's 1990 Daytona 200 winning Vance & Hines Yamaha OWO1 Superbike. The juxtaposition of those two vastly different examples was startling, but somehow it looked very"right".

Bird stepped way with a look of quiet pride tempered by a touch of melancholy. It was then we understood the full weight of his decision to let the little single cylinder/two piston, two-stroke go for all time and forever, to it's final resting place.

It was a deeply affecting experience shared with a knowing clutch of men.

On the left, Brian Slark with Bird in his Mean Joe Green jersey, on the right.

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Car

Bird has been battling Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer for some 28 months now and his time draws near. Whenever we ride together, I feel as though it could be the last.
It was almost a year ago that Nick Stolton helped me by accelerating a build schedule for my new FZ so that I could be ready to join Bird for 5 days
in North Carolina. That trip was one for the ages and the man was on fire. Despite the pace he was both relaxed and precise in his lines. In more than a few corners he
was scraping the hard bags on his ST1300 and nearly wearing out a new front tire in the process. It looks as though I may get one more spring trip with the man I
call my best friend.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Great story and tribute to Greg and his father. I will make a special effort to go by and see the bike. Cheers!

Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And here is another shot from the Barber Museum.

The "Pianist" seated at the baby grand piano/player piano is in helmet and full leathers and the piano was playing
Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major.

And dig Mr. Barber's antique outboard motor collection there on the right.

Man that place is off the chain!!!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Model car Toy vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 5 of 5 Posts