Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather warmed up to 50 today, for a brief one day only departure from the winterpocalypse. There won't be anymore days for a while where I'm able to ride, so this was the first time I was really able to mess around with the bike and start setting it. Firstly, the FZ-09's suspension isn't as bad (for city riding, anyway), as I was led to believe. In fact it seems just fine for anything I wouldn't call overly aggressive riding. That, however, is not the point of this post The point is the second thing I noticed after playing with the power modes.

I've heard a lot of people complain that the throttle delivery is overly snatchy in anything but "B" mode. I've found that to be the opposite. The added sensitivity of "A" mode is where I'm most comfortable. It feels easiest to control, even for "city" riding. Am I the only one who has found this? Does it have something to do with the fact that the bike I learned on was an SV650?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Weather warmed up to 50 today, for a brief one day only departure from the winterpocalypse. There won't be anymore days for a while where I'm able to ride, so this was the first time I was really able to mess around with the bike and start setting it. Firstly, the FZ-09's suspension isn't as bad (for city riding, anyway), as I was led to believe. In fact it seems just fine for anything I wouldn't call overly aggressive riding. That, however, is not the point of this post The point is the second thing I noticed after playing with the power modes.

I've heard a lot of people complain that the throttle delivery is overly snatchy in anything but "B" mode. I've found that to be the opposite. The added sensitivity of "A" mode is where I'm most comfortable. It feels easiest to control, even for "city" riding. Am I the only one who has found this? Does it have something to do with the fact that the bike I learned on was an SV650?
The only "over aggressive riding" you can do in Pittsburgh is to dodge the potholes. When we talk about aggressive...we mean hauling ass on a long road with plenty of corners....and to see how fast you can make it from start to finish. I was raised there and apart from RT 910....there isn't a road with enough corners to find out how each "mode" works...from apex to apex. You have the right bike for Pgh city driving..and the suburbs though. Wait until you put on a 1000 miles and let us know what everyone else knows about a "twitchy" throttle.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I found STD mode very sensitive in parking lot type traffic. B mode just seems very smooth. I am still braking in the engine. The said stay under 7000 but did hit 9000 today. There is a distinct difference between STD and B. The bike pulled up today in 1st gear accelerated hard and it startled me. Should expect this after all I've read.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

You're not the only one, that's exactly how I feel. A mode doesn't feel twitchy, it just feels very responsive, and feels like I'm the most in control in this mode. I have a harder time predicting how the bike will react in B, although it's "smoother" without a doubt. I don't bother with STD anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts