Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my line of work I talk with a lot of people about their cars. Guys with Audi twin turbos or Z28 Camaros try to tell me how fast their cars are. It's hard to explain to them that after riding literbikes with quarter mile times in the 10s and 0-60 in under three seconds that my perspective is skewed and cars just don't impress me anymore. Today I went to the Mile Hi Nationals at Bandimere Speedway where I saw Pro Stock bikes running just over 7 seconds at 185 mph and Top Fuel dragsters running under 4 seconds ar 320 mph ( in 1000 ft ). So it occurred to me that while I think most people don't really know what fast is maybe I don't really know either. This is my eighth consecutive year attending the Nationals and I still love it. Also they ran the new Challenger Hellcat with a 700 Hp supercharged V8. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go wash all the tiny bits of rubber off of me.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I'd remind you, but I think you know how lucky you are. Maybe you could shoot some video to share... perhaps? ;)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Fast is a relative term. What did the hellcat run?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They say that you're not supposed to put the videos or photos on a public site that they are for private use only. I actually didn't take any but I have in the past. The finals are usually on ESPN. The hellcat ran against an original 70s Challenger and whipped it with a 12.15. You gotta remember the track is at 5800 feet above sea level. The announcer said it usually ran low 11s. My friend that was with me drooled over them all day and he's not even a Mopar guy. They did have one in " O So Sexy Red " damn nice color.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah that Hellcat is a heavy pig.

Reactions: Sinner

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
This logic applies to airplanes too.

I fly a Beechjet which is in the light/small category. Park it next to our G-450 and suddenly it is a pretty small jet.

Park our G-450 next to a Boeing 747 or Airbus 380 and wow look how little that G-450 is.

Considering speed a 1 liter sport bike may go 180mph. My jet cruises at 500 mph. But the space shuttle orbits at about 18000 mph.

Yea but my daddy can whip your daddy! Lol.

·
Registered
103 Posts

I fly a Beechjet which is in the light/small category. Park it next to our G-450 and suddenly it is a pretty small jet.

Park our G-450 next to a Boeing 747 or Airbus 380 and wow look how little that G-450 is.

Considering speed a 1 liter sport bike may go 180mph. My jet cruises at 500 mph. But the space shuttle orbits at about 18000 mph.

Now I don't feel like my bike is fast anymore :sad7:

I'm going for a ride now to pick on some cars that think the're fast. That might make me get over it:devilish:

·
Registered
833 Posts
yes, you basically add a full second for a run at Bandimere. So, the Hellcat hypothetically would run 11.15 at sea level...again this is an average, but pretty accurate , been proven over many years, this particular track. That being said I have a buddy with a Roush Mustang, modded of course, he runs 11.5 at Bandimere, very fast car considering I bet I couldn't get an 11.5 out of the FZ-09....maybe close idk? probably be a great race!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Car guys don't understand fast unless they have some serious coin dropped on their cars. When I say "fast" I'm not talking about 0-60 or quarter mile times. Drop a huge motor in a little car and hold the wheel straight...viola...you go fast. No, I'm talking about a tight, twisty road. Only cars costing well into the $100,000 range are capable of keeping an $8000 motorcycle in sight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Car guys don't understand fast unless they have some serious coin dropped on their cars. When I say "fast" I'm not talking about 0-60 or quarter mile times. Drop a huge motor in a little car and hold the wheel straight...viola...you go fast. No, I'm talking about a tight, twisty road. Only cars costing well into the $100,000 range are capable of keeping an $8000 motorcycle in sight.
This is my perspective too. Wether you're talking cars, boats, airplanes or space shuttles the motorcycle always delivers the most "bang for the buck".

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife's Gixxer is faster too. But it won't go 300 mph!

·
Registered
612 Posts

If you stand still on Earth's equator you would be doing 1000 mph sideways towards the East, and how fast is our solar system moving relative to the galactic center..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts