Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of mine has put about 700 miles on this thing and allowed me some freedom to explore its performance. The only mods so far were a slip on exhaust and a small windshield.
As with his R1 the 4 cylinder crossplane engine is brilliant. For the first few miles I found the throttle a bit sensitive, the brakes were somewhat wooden, the seat was hard and downshifting seemed vague. Once I adjusted "me" only the seat remained hard. This was a perfect example of why a test ride needs to be more than 10 minutes long!
Litre bike power is addictive but I still can't get excited enough to own another one. It still feels like a big bike and I'm just not able to wheel these things around despite it being quite comfortable. However, I really enjoyed doing third gear power wheelies over the rises on Dunkinfield Ave.
Les Rides The MT-10--Oct 2019 002.JPG

·
Registered
462 Posts
Litre bike power is addictive but I still can't get excited enough to own another one. It still feels like a big bike and I'm just not able to wheel these things around despite it being quite comfortable.
My days of owning anything that weighs more than the fz09 are behind me also. Too many aches and pains along with bloody arthritis! The fz feels like a bicycle compared to my hot rod bandit which I have only taken out a few times this summer. With physical limitations lighter is righter?!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The big bikes are fun but you have to be on alert the whole time you are riding them. They are a lot of work. The 09's are no slouch but they are much more manageable with their lighter weights of course. I have a friend that went from a perfectly good FZ-1 to the 10 and he thought he was happy at first. He eventually missed the comfort of the FZ-1 so he sold the hard edged 10 and bought a last production year FZ-1.

In my opinion, if I'm looking for the hard core experience I'll jump on a superbike. Anything else... is either my FZ-09 or Dual Sport or something else : ) I recommend prospective MT-10 buyers really think long and hard about buying one. They are pretty specialized bikes to me.

How about the Super Tenere? Have you ridden one of those? On paper I read about them and thought I would love one... but...

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about the Super Tenere? Have you ridden one of those? On paper I read about them and thought I would love one... but...
BMACZ06, a member here that lives close to me had a Tenere but he traded it before I had a chance to try it out. No big deal, but the sad part is that he also sold his Aprilla Tuono before I could ride that!
Barry----Dec 2018 001.JPG

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ahhh what a neat looking bike. So your friend traded off the Tenere and the Ape (Tuono I am guessing?) and moved on to a FZ-10?

(The coffee is kicking in and I type fast - hold on tight)
A friend loaned me a Vstrom 650 for a year and that completely blew my mind about what an everyday bike should be. They were fairly new at the time so having a SUPER smooth running, fuel conservative bike that would actually go quick when you opened the throttle up all the way was amazing. Back then you had smaller bikes which were just SLOW but then you had the big CC bikes which were just rockets but extremely heavy. I rode 5K on the Vstrom 650 and once you learned it you could ride it very quickly and it was an amazing all around bike - but ugly. :D

The Tenere looked to be the next ADV style bike for me - super dependable, low maintenance bike I could thrash wherever I wanted. I rode a brand new one and I just can't get over how boring the engine is to ride! It's got decent power but the power is just so linear and boring. It would put me to sleep. Now I will eventually get an older BMW GS simply because the engine has character and it has all the traits I need in a bike... fuel MPG, range, shaft drive, somewhat sporty etc etc... The Tenere are coming down in price fast so I might take anther look at one.

I did take a recent camping ride on an Aprilia Caponord. That was supposed to be the much cheaper alternative to the Multistrada but it just couldn't touch the Duc in the handling department. The Ape tourer is extremely heavy and doesn't have near the dealer network in it's pocket. These facts destroyed the chances of it selling. The Aprilia Cap also can have some mechanical or electrical gremlins which also makes it a bike I highly DO NOT recommend. But if you are a Aprilia guy (decent mechanic) then they are a great bike you can pick up CHEAP these days. I could write a great review on them - anyone have any questions just ask. My friend still has his and it's fun to talk about.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ahhh what a neat looking bike. So your friend traded off the Tenere and the Ape (Tuono I am guessing?) and moved on to a FZ-10.

A friend loaned me a Vstrom 650 for a year and that completely blew my mind about what an everyday bike should be.

I did take a recent camping ride on an Aprilia Caponord. That was supposed to be the much cheaper alternative to the Multistrada but it just couldn't touch the Duc in the handling department.

View attachment 157047
Different friend.The Tenere went towards one of the new GS 1250s and I think the Tuono just went. For some reason it seems everyone loves the Tuono but nobody ever seems to keep one very long.

Aprillas, sorry, not for me. I watched two well healed friends deal with four of five of the 550 twin Motards and they both finally gave up.

You're right about the Vstrom 650. I have two friends that have owned them for a long time and never once have I been able to ride one. I suppose if I asked--------
I have ridden the SV650 though and love that motor so a neat bike for me would be a 650 Versys that weighed 40 pounds less and had a SV twin engine around 800cc. Of course this would be in addition to my FZ not a replacement!

·
Registered
123 Posts
For some strange reason I decided to check the site to sees what is new and what do I find? My buddy Les got a chance to ride an FZ10 in the my favorite color scheme.

I like the FZ10 but have trouble getting past its looks. The front end is hideous and the rest of the bike does not flow that well. It gets crappy fuel mileage/range but does have Yamaha reliability. Something the Aprilia Tuono can only aspire to. I am tempted by the FZ10 and am hoping to ride one again next week at a dealer demo in Miami. I haven't had a real chance to push one and test its capabilities.

The Tuono is the one bike I can't get out of my head. I shouldn't have sold it. Aprilia has a crappy dealer network and if you have a problem it can be a real nightmare to deal with. With that said, it is an AWESOME bike that needs to be ridden. I can't explain the riding experience it delivers better than any other bike available. One has to experience it for themselves. The cross plane FZ10 engine sounds great but the Tuono is in a different league. Nothing else comes close.

I was considering a FZ10 but the more I think about it the more I think I need to pick up another Tuono. If I do I will make sure Les has a chance to ride it. I don't need another bike but that doesn't stop me from looking.

I still plan on picking up a Tenere 700 as soon as they become available.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
A friend has had a Tuono for just over a year, hasn't had any problems, but his mileage is fairly low.
Brilliant bike though.

Reactions: shamrock

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A friend has had a Tuono for just over a year, hasn't had any problems, but his mileage is fairly low.
Brilliant bike though.
Have you ever been able to take it for a spin?
I have zero interest in owning one but I sure would like to try one out for an hour.
bmacz06 is a "Yamaha Demo Herder". You know, one of those folks that leads or follows the group during the demo rides and he brought up a very good point to me. He told me that short test rides only expose the things that you don't like about a bike and thinking about my past test hops I would totally agree.
So, all you guys be on notice. If you have anything interesting to ride PM me but keep in mind I'll need at least an hour to give her a good workout!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good call on grabbing up a Tenere 700! I agree. I can't wait to ride one. I need a mid-size ADV and the new Tenere looks perfect. And of course a Tuono would be a great compliment to the garage to satisfy the irresponsible side of us. I can't handle the FZ10 looks at all either. My FZ-09 I picked up for so little it doesn't make sense to sell it. An Aprilia would be a great 2nd or 3rd bike! Prices have some down on used ones so they are looking better.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I have zero interest in owning one but I sure would like to try one out for an hour.
bmacz06 is a "Yamaha Demo Herder". You know, one of those folks that leads or follows the group during the demo rides and he brought up a very good point to me. He told me that short test rides only expose the things that you don't like about a bike and thinking about my past test hops I would totally agree.
So, all you guys be on notice. If you have anything interesting to ride PM me but keep in mind I'll need at least an hour to give her a good workout!
Not yet, but now that we're living in the same island I'm sure I'll get a fang on it.

Reactions: shamrock

·
Registered
713 Posts
I got one for you to try ! Have you ever tried a quarter mile ? No need to waste an hour ,takes about 10 seconds !

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Tavares Ride---Oct 2108 011.JPG

No thanks, that thing of yours would embarrass me because 10 seconds to you could turn into 20 seconds for me and I would probably still kill the clutch!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well the 09 is a ladies bike over here, that's the wifes ride. I personally just did a 150 mile mountain ride on my FZ10 and while the wifes bike is ok in town. There isn't another bike I'd take over my 10. And I've had over 40 bikes. To each his own! Remember it's not what you ride, but that you ride that makes us happy!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Jeez, not another bloody gender? That makes 101 now, 09 riders.
I thought it was just age giving me moobs, now I know it's my bike.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Sad you missed Barry’s Tuono, Les. The first FZ-10 Barry rode was mine when we did a 50 mile swap with me on his Aprilia. The only thing better than a crossplane four is the V-4. Sweetest sound you’ll hear on two wheels. The Tuono would really do a number on your head. It was just a little too race oriented for me. I was happy to hop back on the 10 and Barry was happy to get back on his. Lou, if you ride a V-4 Tuono, you’ll think you died and went to heaven. Take the ride if you can get it.

I have to say, though, the FZ-10 was way better than expected coming off my FZ-09. It’s heavier, but never once felt like it. Never, ever was more work than an FZ-09, plus lighter and way more agile than an FZ-1. Going from an FZ-10 back to an FZ-1 is not something I would ever do. The FZ-1 is less maneuverable, but even worse would be going from the crossplane 4 to the conventional inline 4 and associated vibes. The crossplane 3 is great, but the crossplane 4 is even better. Brake-wise, I immediately swapped to HH ceramics, same as all my other sportbikes. Couldn’t beat them with the ABS. The only time I clutched it was between first and second (all without a quickshifter). Overall, the 10 was a definite upgrade and I’m not dissing the -09 at all. If I could handle the shorter sportbike suspension, I would have stuck with the -10. An MT-10 SP would be the next best thing to a super track bike.

Barry and I rode down to a KTM dealership this summer for me to test ride a 790 Duke. A resounding “no” on the Duke for too many reasons, but we both had a great outing on our 8” plus suspension BMWs over beautiful Wisconsin farmland and, of course, Barry knows all the best routes. Great ride sir. At 70, I just don’t need the sportbike spinal corrections over potholes and freeway slab separations.

Of no interest to me, but I just posted the new V-4 Duc Streetfighter. Probably the price of two Tuonos.

Been away for a while, because this new forum bugs me, but I miss the people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts