Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today, Peggy and I decided to do our part in social distancing and to be able to get out of the house for a while. We are very lucky to live in an area where you can point the bike about any direction and come across some good roads to ride. So, here is where we spent the afternoon doing our part.....

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is definitely taking some getting used to. Everything I've learned over the years of riding is kind of like doing the opposite. I put an aftermarket sway bar up front a week or so ago and the handling and cornering is improved 100%. I can actually push it pretty hard into the corners now and it feels planted. With the OEM sway bar, not even close. I'm not going to keep up with a two wheel bike with a decent rider on it, but I can push it fairly hard and stay on a line now without it wanted to drift out to the outside part of the turn. The new sway bar made the cornering like night and day difference.

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is really enjoying it so far. I don't know if at some point in time she will want to be riding her own bike, or will just be OK with taking it easy and riding on the back of this one. Time will tell I guess, and we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think it's more important that she like it haha. I'd try and get her to sit on an Mt03 and see how she feels. They're very approachable.

I've never had a chance to get on one of those can ams, but I work with someone who owns one of those and a guy with a slingshot. Neat concepts and designs, but I'm not sure if it's for me. Glad you're starting to get a good feel for it.

Orange is their fastest color yes?

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
383 Posts
I think it's more important that she like it haha. I'd try and get her to sit on an Mt03 and see how she feels. They're very approachable.

I've never had a chance to get on one of those can ams, but I work with someone who owns one of those and a guy with a slingshot. Neat concepts and designs, but I'm not sure if it's for me. Glad you're starting to get a good feel for it.

Orange is their fastest color yes?
Certainly is the best color! My mom had one. They are snowmobiles on wheels so if you can ride a snowmobile you can throw one of them around as well. The new ones have a much better seating position though!

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly is the best color! My mom had one. They are snowmobiles on wheels so if you can ride a snowmobile you can throw one of them around as well. The new ones have a much better seating position though!

Yea, the Phoenix Orange is running at least 10 more H.P. than any of the other colors.....the reason we chose it! (y) When we first went to look at them, I sat on both the RT model and the F3 model....they were side by side in the showroom. I immediately didn't like the F3 as they are more like a cruiser style bike seating position. Your feet are more out front, like riding a cruiser.....kind of laying back a bit. The RT riding position is more like riding a naked standard as far as foot position and handle bars....so I knew my search would be for a RT and not a F3. I've never been on a snowmobile, but they look like they would be an absolute blast to ride. The only problem with that is...
1. We don't have enough snow here during the winter time to even cover the grassy areas in a normal winter (that's a good thing BTW)
2. I hate cold weather so I would only ride it when it was at least 70 degrees and sunny! o_O

We are going to head out again today for another ride and find some more twisty stuff. Rt 68 heading south out of Tellico Plains, TN is a great road and has some fairly good twisty stuff as well as some more open, higher speed flowing turns. So far I'm pretty happy with the comfort of the stock seat, although I've not had a day that I piled on the miles, so we'll see how that goes. Oh, BTW.....floorboards Rock as a contributor to rider comfort! Do I sound like a senior citizen yet?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I bought my wife an 09 with 3k miles on it a few months ago and she doesn't really ride it. To me it feels like riding a 4 wheeler on the street. Definitely not for me, I'll stay on 2 wheels

·
Super Moderator
4,207 Posts
We are going to head out again today for another ride and find some more twisty stuff. Rt 68 heading south out of Tellico Plains, TN is a great road and has some fairly good twisty stuff as well as some more open, higher speed flowing turns.
Ah, HWY 68. One of my all time favorite rides. Send us a report on that.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
This my bike alternative, ( a distant one). The only car I've owned that still makes me go "holy shit" when I nail it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah, HWY 68. One of my all time favorite rides. Send us a report on that.
Lloyd......it was almost deserted today when we rode through....I've never been on it with that little amount of traffic. Probably more bikes than cars, but not many of anything. The fast sweepers on 68 are sometimes a little deceiving...if it is off-camber a bit. The sway bar does a great job keeping things on the line you are on, but off camber messes with it. Bottom line, we ended up all the way down to 74 then went west towards Ocoee then turned up 30 then 315, then 39 back to Tellico and home. A bit over 160 miles today and my ass is killing me. It's probably not the seat so much as I'm just out of riding shape. Oh, and 160 miles through a lot of twisty stuff, is an upper body workout for sure....damn I'm out of shape!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice ride, seems like that rear tire will be toast in no time. Are Rt. 129 and Rt. 28 open? Was planning a trip to see family and might have to take a detour.

·
Super Moderator
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once you get to Deals Gap Resort (coming from the TN side), you can only go as far as Cheoah Dam...then 129 is closed and only local residents and commercial vehicles are allowed into Graham County....they will turn you around. I'm not 100% sure on Rt 28 where it starts, right by the D.G. Resort and heads towards Fontana. It appears to be open on Google maps, and that would make sense as it is NOT Graham county....it is Swain County.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts