Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19'' MT-09 SP
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, not my first bike but I just want to check somethings out.
My 09SP (19) is nearing the 20k mark. I did the 10k maintenance 8 months ago in which I changed oil, filter, brake oil, coolant flush, k&n air filter and on it went.

On the 20k I'm doing oil and filter again, not touching the coolant, doing block off plates and airbox mod and in a month or two finally flashing the ecu.
Question, should I do plugs now? If I remember, the block off plates throw a code when the solenoid is removed right?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Am I missing something important on this maintenance routine?

Thank you for your input, Pedro

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
True. I'm lifting the cam cover next time I change plugs, only the radiator in the way then.
No,no don't remove the radiator! Just remove the front fender and then the two top screws holding the rad, slide it off the bottom pin and pull it forward. Gives you plenty of room.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I removed my rad when I did mine only to give it a good cleaning. First used compressed air then gave it a good hot bath in the tub using Super Clean and came out great ! Just do not let the Super Clean dry it will leave stain marks.

·
Registered
19'' MT-09 SP
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More mileage, better spark. I’m sure someone will pop up and tell all the benefits.
The mileage for me is the better gain. My 09 is used everyday so kms rack up quick, change it now and I don’t worry about it the next time.
Now I just want to know for sure if the block off plates will throw a code. The ecu flash won’t be done right now.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Please post some info on any difference in engine characteristics with block offs installed.
They make no difference in the way the engine performs and you can simply plug up the air box breather tube to achieve the same thing.
The plates allow you to remove the AIS plumbing that drapes itself over the cam cover to make a much neater and more accessible engine compartment.

·
Registered
296 Posts
They make no difference in the way the engine performs and you can simply plug up the air box breather tube to achieve the same thing.
The plates allow you to remove the AIS plumbing that drapes itself over the cam cover to make a much neater and more accessible engine compartment.
Seems like a nice way to clean up and make things less complicated to work on.

·
Registered
19'' MT-09 SP
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly this reason. Less is more. They say that the popping decreases as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts