Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

A good case for wearing a helmet.

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  NickJ 
#1 ·
Motorcycle helmet Helmet Personal protective equipment Cobalt blue Headgear

Not one to preach. I've gone without one plenty of times, but not at 70 MPH, like this fella was doing.

See less See more
#5 ·
I took it from a Facebook post that had minimal information. It just said that the guy went down at 70mph on pavement. The angle of the damage is suspect, but I guess if he was tangled up w the bike or something it is possible. Maybe we're better off not knowing!

#9 ·
I was a believer in full gear long before my 85 MPH lowside back in 2005. Bike was totaled, I slid on my right side for 100' or so before I ended up next to a tree along the edge of the road. I received a fairly serious concussion, broke three ribs, and tore up my right shoulder. I had ZERO road rash, and I have no doubt that I would have been serious injured or killed without the proper gear on.

Full coverage Shoei helmet
Sidi Racing boots
First Gear 2 piece full leather suit that had a full circumference zipper
AGV racing style leather gloves

Reactions: NickJ
#11 ·
Saw that helmet on Reddit a few days ago. As best that I remember, the story was that the rider was hit by a large piece of cardboard that came off someone's truck, knocking the rider off his bike. He was then lucky enough to have a bus pass over him and he was pinned on the undercarriage of the bus with his helmet wedged into the road, grinding away, until the bus stopped. Rider was in ICU but expected to pull through.

Had a lowside myself in June and was damn glad I had a full face helmet on. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#13 ·
That is absolutely crazy!

I see guys out here on their big Harley's and Victory's and whatever and all they have on is a bandana and a sleeveless shirt, and I cannot help but think how cool skin grafts are.

I am not the best about wearing protective clothing, but I ALWAYS wear a helmet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.