281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello @kevxtx , big fan of your build. I am going to be the proud owner of 2021 MT 09 SP very soon and I want to upgrade the exhaust. I would love to get an Akrapovic exhaust, but I have two main gripes with it:
  1. The design: I really really liked the look of the underbelly Ti Akra that was available on the previous models. A friend of mine had an MT 07 that had the same style Akra and I also saw that exhaust on plenty of MT 09s. The new design is also cool and race-y, but in my opinion it doesn't live up to the old one.
  2. EU road certification: I live in the European Union, and more importantly I live in a city that's really cracking down on illegal exhausts. It's expensive and a headache to own a straight pipe. The Akrapovic exhaust that's offered with the EU certification for the '21 not only looks fugly and massive, it's probably just as heavy as the stock one. Looking on the official website they don't even list the weight saving since it's probably embarrassing. The previous underbelly exhaust was available with the certification given that you also bought the cat.
Therefore, I was thinking of possibly buying the endcan of the previous underbelly exhaust (that you had on your previous MT-09(s), the header from the new one that you currently have and having a shop fashion some sort of link pipe to fit them together. Of course the mounting points for the endcan might be different, but I imagine making some brackets wouldn't be too difficult right? Do you mind sharing your opinion on this? As you have experience with MT-09s and Akras, I would love to hear your thought before I blindly jump in a serious investment.

Thank you
Chris

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
To pass the Euro5 emissions most of the bikes are now running 2 cats, Euro4 only needs 1 cat 200 core or more, I must say I agree with you it would look better with a under slung pipe, I am waiting for the China copy pipes for the 21 model so I can get a set of headers, then modify my Euro4 under slung ti can to fit my 21 model, don’t want to cut my 21 Akra link pipe.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #288 · (Edited)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Fuel tank Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Some more photo's

CONGRATS on your many mods to the earlier MT, kev. May I ask where you got the faux front-facing 'air-intake' scoop blanking plates, in blue - I think they add a nice touch.

Thanks...

281 - 290 of 290 Posts