Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

181 - 200 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought a red pair a yr ago but the tires just won't wear out............. Oh.... of course.... I need to ride it more LoL : confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always nice to watch your thread...so that it is: when you´ve finished your MT09 MK1, simply buy the 2017 MK2! The 320mm brake rotors are waiting to hop on mine, too - looks great! As the rest of your bike does, of course.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Always nice to watch your thread...so that it is: when you´ve finished your MT09 MK1, simply buy the 2017 MK2! The 320mm brake rotors are waiting to hop on mine, too - looks great! As the rest of your bike does, of course.
Thanks mate, the 320mm brake rotors + gripy pads gave the best brake results of all the brake mods that I have done, I will be fitting my Brembo mater soon but am still looking for a reasonable set of Brembo calipers.

One thing I have found is quite a difference between the different brake levers as in brake feel, the differences are quite a lot & can only put it down to the measurements between the centre to centre between the lever pivot bolt & the centre point of the master cylinder push rod & how much the lever mount preloads the master cylinder plunger, as I have found some of the china levers the front brake feels a little spongy with more lever travel but has greater force & other levers have less lever travel & the brake feels hard & firm.

These are my latest levers below, the lever is firm with little brake lever travel quite noticeable from the ones I took off with the top click lever, they have 80 turn click adjustments compared to 6 on the lever type, I changed to these as I could not find a lever distance that I liked one lever click was to much in each direction & these work well with all those fine adjustments, they cost Oz$36.00 off EBay.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The OEM FZ09 master is a 15mm if I remember well. It felt quite on/off to me with the 320mm rotors, hard to modulate. The FZ8 comes with a 16mm master and you can still mount the mirror :) That setup has been working great for me.

Thanks mate, the 320mm brake rotors + gripy pads gave the best brake results of all the brake mods that I have done, I will be fitting my Brembo mater soon but am still looking for a reasonable set of Brembo calipers.

One thing I have found is quite a difference between the different brake levers as in brake feel, the differences are quite a lot & can only put it down to the measurements between the centre to centre between the lever pivot bolt & the centre point of the master cylinder push rod & how much the lever mount preloads the master cylinder plunger, as I have found some of the china levers the front brake feels a little spongy with more lever travel but has greater force & other levers have less lever travel & the brake feels hard & firm.

These are my latest levers below, the lever is firm with little brake lever travel quite noticeable from the ones I took off with the top click lever, they have 80 turn click adjustments compared to 6 on the lever type, I changed to these as I could not find a lever distance that I liked one lever click was to much in each direction & these work well with all those fine adjustments, they cost Oz$36.00 off EBay.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
No problems with the brake feel & modulation from my side with the STD master cylinder.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 · (Edited)
Added a bit of shape to my front indicator mod on my 2017 09, these are hand made with a hack saw drill press & shaped with a file, I will more than likely get them anodised black.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
What are those levers, Kev? They are beautiful for $36.

i have R1 rotors and an 05 FZ1N master - i couldn't get used to the way the OEM master felt. And like Marthy, i like the mirror where it is.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 · (Edited)
Undo the clutch cable at the lever end, rap many layers of electrical or making tape either side of the bend, then slide two ring spanners over the tape then pull the two spanners together this will open up the bend so the cable can be routed correctly & not dent or scratch the metal tube on the cable. I never had this problem on my 2014 & 2016 MT09 but did on my 2017 model, the bares came off my 2016 09.

Just an example below on how I bent mine, just make sure you use lots of tape.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Undo the clutch cable at the lever end, rap many layers of electrical or making tape either side of the bend, then slide two ring spanners over the tape then pull the two spanners together this will open up the bend so the cable can be routed correctly & not dent or scratch the metal tube on the cable. I never had this problem on my 2014 & 2016 MT09 but did on my 2017 model, the bares came off my 2016 09.

Just an example below on how I bent mine, just make sure you use lots of tape.

That sir is genius and exactly the kind of advice I have been looking for. Going to try it now. I'll update shortly

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
Pretty much have moved all my mods from my 2017 MT09 to the 2018 MT09SP except for the Andreani inserts & Matris rear shock. Yamaha have done a great job on this suspension once set up it is so good I am really happy with it, I have done a 1000kms of riding in the twisties this week & the bike just feels planted even over the rough stuff.

2018 MT09SP: Full Woolich Race tools & tune, up/down QS, launch control, pit lane limiter, Shorty clutch lever, Protaper bars, Lithium iron battery, steering damper, Titanium bolts & nuts everywhere, Akra Carbon, R1 front 320mm wave brake rotors with Ti caliper spacers, EBC HH pads, full set Hell brake lines, MT07 Wave rear rotor, R1 tail tidy with 2016 rear axle, R1 indicators, 11.600g of weight removed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kev thanks again for your seamless service and help with my questions, as discussed my bike now feels like a premium product after your "ECU stuff" ;)

Cheers mate and great to read the history in this thread.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Kev thanks again for your seamless service and help with my questions, as discussed my bike now feels like a premium product after your "ECU stuff" ;)

Cheers mate and great to read the history in this thread.
No worries.

181 - 200 of 270 Posts