Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

A few general questions.

7K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  Hawkerjet 
#1 ·
I am averaging around 32-35 MPG and I don't think that is the norm. I was getting 36 out of my '08 R1. What are your guys' average MPG?

Also, what is a nice cruising RPM? I often time find myself accidentally closing the throttle due to a bump in the road and over compensating in my recovery ending in minor whiplash. Anyone else have the same silly tendencies?

#3 ·
thats about normal for me, if i put it in B mode and avoid my usual riding style of burning as many fossil fuels as possible i get much much better.

I had issues with bumps in the road until i got my ECU flash from Stoltec, which cleared all but the worst bump issues.

#9 ·
I've noticed that like most internal combustion motors, I get way better mileage on a long ride that I do on my short 20 mile round trip commutes to/from work-and this is not stop n go traffic and there's only 1 traffic light and no other stops from home to work. I still average about 45, but I'll be damned if I can get more than 120 out of a full tank before I dip into reserve.

#11 ·
Literally just bought my bike today, about 40 miles on it, and the computer is telling me about 42 mpg average - most of that was highway, riding it back from the dealership and then into work.

How accurate is the fuel consumption calculations on these bikes?

#13 ·
Most of my miles are my 80mph 20 mile each way commute with hard acceleration at every opportunity. Based on my fill ups i average 35-40. Now if i go on a canyon run i increase my mpgs closer to 50 probably because of the decreased speed. If i commute in B mode and stay around 70mph i get closer to the 40-45 mpg, but its a challenge to ride that way.

#14 ·
I'm averaging about "I don't care" MPG. I ride it slow, fast and insane depending on my mood, road and chance of police on the given road. I don't understand who buys a FZ-09 and worries about the MPG.
My other vehicle is a Hemi Crew Cab Truck and on a good day if I drive slow on the expressway I might get 14 MPG.
Ride it, Fill it and Ride it some more.
LRoss78550

#16 ·
Just because you don't care about MPG doesn't mean it's wrong of others to be curious about it :p I don't particularly worry about my MPG at all, but I keep an eye on it just for shits and giggles. Plus, if it starts dropping for some unknown reason, I start to get suspicious.

... not that I've had that happen before, but I guess it's good to keep an eye on things?

#17 ·
It's also an insight to the quality of gas your buying.

A possibly un-interesting side note/story:

On a road trip I religiously kept track of MPG info (because I was headed for the boonies where MPG info was extremely important). I noticed that at some fill ups I would get really shitty MPG, and others it would be normal. I was chatting with a gas station attendant about it (he overheard me talking to myself about it in frustration, and writing things down in a notebook), anyways.... he told me that when you get gas at a little mom-n-pop gas station in the boonies (like the one he worked at), that the ethanol was added separately after the gas was poured in the station tank... so the ratio of gas/ethanol was literally a grab bag on any given week. BUT, if you filled up at a "brand name" station (Shell/76/etc) the ethanol ratio was mixed at the refinery and the "10% Ethanol" ratio was accurate.

Ethanol vs. Non-Ethanol makes a difference.

#18 ·
I figured there was something to this but didn't know that was the difference. That's pretty interesting.

It seems like even each major brand company has their own additives but I don't know if that's just marketing bs or if one over another really makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Gofor premium, most contains zero ethanol, but it comes out of the pump that someone just bought regular with...... Damnit! The three gallons the gas lines holds fills up My tank. I'm getting screwed!!!

Anyways, 36.5mpg with about 1k miles, a mix of highway and city, but mostly the first gear redlines with the front tire up .

#20 ·
I believe even premium has up to 10% ethanol. The only time this isn't true is if it's explicitly stated at the pump to be 'ethanol-free gas.'

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

#21 ·
I think 43 but I don't care lol... It's too much fun to ride it and not worry about that.

#23 ·
Oh trust me, I'm riding it pretty hard but I'm just at about 600 miles and am still staying away from absolute red line... Haha

I love this bike.

#24 ·
For commuting to work I'm getting 47 or better. Today I filled up at 151 miles (yes the countdown thing was on for the last 6 miles) with 3.1 gallons.
The 1250 Bandit I had got 47mpg too, until I put on a 3 tooth smaller rear sprocket. After all the corrections, it went up to 49mpg
The Bonneville gets 52 mpg and the 1100G gets 42 mpg doing the same commute.

After driving to the same place for the last 30 years, I just go with the flow or maybe 5mph faster.

#27 ·
Google it ... gas with no ethanol.... it's around but not easy to find

Reactions: 520FZ09
#28 ·
It's a joke

#30 ·
I am averaging around 32-35 MPG and I don't think that is the norm. I was getting 36 out of my '08 R1.
Your R1 is geared at 17/45. The FZ is 16/45. It's geared low which give better bottom end, which is the major reason why it's so wheelie happy, but also raises RPM's overall. I get about 34 average on the FZ and about 28 on my R1, but it's not stock. When it was stock I was averaging around 32. Throw a 17 tooth front sprocket on the FZ and your mileage will go up a little.

#33 · (Edited)
1850 miles so far.

Best I have seen is 50. The worst 35.

We have crap gas here in Communist California.

It all depends on the twist of your right hand.

Remember when you through a leg over your bike, this activates the nerve that goes from your right hand to your smile muscle.

More twist means bigger smile.

Twist hard fellas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.