Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
he just broke the upper fairing stay, windscreen, clip on. haha what really sucked was it wasn't his bike, first time riding the team bike. o well, stuff happens. anyway here's the clip.. ALMOST saved it, almost.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Seems like he pretty much just panicked. Watching the video, it looks like if he would have been prepared, as far as correct body position on the bike, he could have just leaned it right and went right on through the turn.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
You wrote it, before I did..........my exact thoughts.
I'm fast that way Ray. And I know that from personal experience. Back in 2009 at Little Talladaga, I came out of the farmhouse turn and nailed it down the straight (by the silo) and suddenly found myself coming into T1 way too hot. The problem was, I was sitting exactly centered on the seat and panic mode set in. I tried to scrub off enough speed to make the turn, but soon realized that in my present body position, I was not going to make the turn. I decided I'd just continue braking until such time as the front wheel was ready to go off the edge of the track and into the grass, then feather the rear brake. Of course, this all happened in a matter of less than a second of time and I went off track...........and down the enbankment.......and tumbled at least 6 or 7 times before I quit.

Lessons learned: Body position, learn where your brake markers are, Don't panic, Look/lean/believe!

Reactions: Tigershark and buck

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The way I see it was.....R6racer rolled off and braked too soon, and allowed the "buddy" to get along side. Problem was "buddy" was on the wrong line to make the corner and realized he was in too hot and just got out of shape trying to collect it up.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
He really wasn't too hot into the corner.........he just flat out paniced and wasn't smooth on the brakes, which then snow-balled into a partial stoppie and being out of control. That corner looks like a loooong sweeper, which if he knew how to trail brake even just a little bit, he would have been fine and no issues. I guess trail braking was out of the question though, he already set himself up for failure with the panic braking.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
He really wasn't too hot into the corner.........he just flat out paniced and wasn't smooth on the brakes, which then snow-balled into a partial stoppie and being out of control. That corner looks like a loooong sweeper, which if he knew how to trail brake even just a little bit, he would have been fine and no issues. I guess trail braking was out of the question though, he already set himself up for failure with the panic braking.
Look at the first frame Vern. The rear wheel is 3 inches off the ground...and out of alignment with the front. Yep...too hot and on the wrong line.

Reactions: r6racer

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I still say the he wasn't going fast enough to grab that much brake to cause the rear end to lift. Smooth application of the brake instead of what he did would have scrubbed off more than enough speed to still bend it over and make it through the turn.......provided he had the body position that he needed and hadn't upset the suspension and line with his bad braking skills....or lack thereof. And yes, he's definitely off of the preferred line, but nothing that he could have handled if he had known what he was doing. Live and learn I guess

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The way I see it was.....R6racer rolled off and braked too soon, and allowed the "buddy" to get along side. Problem was "buddy" was on the wrong line to make the corner and realized he was in too hot and just got out of shape trying to collect it up.
Look at the first frame Vern. The rear wheel is 3 inches off the ground...and out of alignment with the front. Yep...too hot and on the wrong line.
thats not me he's passing, I wouldnt have let him pass me anyway if that was me :la:

but you're 100% right, he went in too hot for that turn. if he even tried to take the corner he would have smashed into a much slower rider up front. he's a expert level racer and went into a corner a little too hot. trust me.. he's not the type of guy to panic, he was honestly still trying to make the corner while he was laying in the gravel :icon_thumbright:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like he pretty much just panicked. Watching the video, it looks like if he would have been prepared, as far as correct body position on the bike, he could have just leaned it right and went right on through the turn.
I'm fast that way Ray. And I know that from personal experience. Back in 2009 at Little Talladaga, I came out of the farmhouse turn and nailed it down the straight (by the silo) and suddenly found myself coming into T1 way too hot. The problem was, I was sitting exactly centered on the seat and panic mode set in. I tried to scrub off enough speed to make the turn, but soon realized that in my present body position, I was not going to make the turn. I decided I'd just continue braking until such time as the front wheel was ready to go off the edge of the track and into the grass, then feather the rear brake. Of course, this all happened in a matter of less than a second of time and I went off track...........and down the enbankment.......and tumbled at least 6 or 7 times before I quit.

Lessons learned: Body position, learn where your brake markers are, Don't panic, Look/lean/believe!
Lol you may have done it in the past, but this example isnt what you did. Watch the video again, that speed for that cambered corner would have been bad, and lets pretend he did take the corner magically. Where do you think he would have ended? On top of another bike. The rider in front of him runs about 15 seconds slower a lap, that may not sound like much to you but thats a godly amount of difference in track pace.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Lol you may have done it in the past, but this example isnt what you did. Watch the video again, that speed for that cambered corner would have been bad, and lets pretend he did take the corner magically. Where do you think he would have ended? On top of another bike. The rider in front of him runs about 15 seconds slower a lap, that may not sound like much to you but thats a godly amount of difference in track pace.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree about that. I obviously wasn't there, but the video shows me a different story.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts