Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the FZ09 has more HP and torque then the Street Triple R but I also read the suspension needs work and the fueling is an issue for many. The Street Triple R is pretty much good to go, has been tested over time and is a proven excellent bike. If the suspension is sorted out and the ECU reflashed, will that be sufficient to bring this bike up to the Street Triple R standard over all, not just power and the ability to do wheelies in 4th.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Each person has their own perspective on this. The two glaring issues with the fz are undoubtedly suspension and fueling. Other factors that are important to me are availability of parts, and knowledge on how to maintain and repair, and cost,of ownership

I'd imagine the fz is less to own and operate, and after riding it, the engine would eclipse the triumphs mill.

Bottom line: what is important to you?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Suspension upgrade is a must for the performance minded rider. For those who don't ride aggressively and prefer to just cruise, it is sufficient.

I went the budget route on the rear shock with the Kawi ZX6rr. I had it re-valved and re-sprung. I have about $500 invested it it. For the front I went the high end route with the AK-20 cartridges. That ran about 1k.

Fueling (twitchy throttle off idle) is also a personal issue. Most guys complain and do the re flash thing. But for me I really like the great snap off idle and the engine braking as well. So I am running all stock in that compartment.

All said and done I am happy as a clam at high tide regarding my FZ09. Got to bee the most fun bike I have ever owned.

PS: The FZ is easier on the eyes than the Speed Triple. Lol.

Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was at the same crossroads. After test riding both, I went for the FZ09 (obviously) because: a) I don't think the fueling is all that bad, b) I think the Yamaha has a more comfortable seating position, and c) the Yamaha looks way better IMO.

One of my riding buddies has the Street Triple R and we swap every once in a while on long rides. He now wants to trade in and get the Yamaha. To quote him, " I dunno, there's just something more fun about your bike. "

At the end of the day if the only things holding you back are the suspension and throttle from an otherwise amazing bike, I strongly suggest you at least go test ride it. It all depends how you want to ride. Will you be making track days, canyon carving, or just city riding? For me, I'm just city riding/commuting, and doing small day trips with buddies and the suspension/throttle are absolutely no issue. In fact I kind of like the challenge of getting perfect throttle control with this bike.

So....how will you be riding?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I went with the ohlins rear shock and spent less than $700 on it (can't specify specific price but it was a good deal). The front fork needs to be addressed at some point but this bike is night and day different even with the rear shock swap out. I haven't done anythign to the fueling - I will at some point but we have a supporting vendor here doing flashes for $80 bucks.

I got my bike for $7,500. Spent <$700 to address the suspension so far and will do the fueling at one point. I'm considerably under the $10k i would have spent on a street triple R and I have an engine that makes me laugh like an insane person every time i ride it.

Throw in better dealer network, bombproof parts (minus the CCT :) ) and you got yourself a hell of a bike for the price.

Consumer Budget Savvy Purchase Unlocked :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I don't mind the fueling at all. I think it's a bit overstated.

The suspension is adequate if you are 150lbs or less, which I am. Over that, it will need some work.

However, once you set up the suspension custom, it will be better than the STR, already has a better motor (with fewer leaks to boot), much better parts availability, dealer network, lower cost parts/aftermarket options... All for much less than the STR.

The only reason I see to buy the Triumph, is to join the Triumph club. Once you do, you will return to Japanese bikes within a couple years, for a myriad of reasons :)

I ditched a 2011 Speed Triple for this bike, and don't regret selling that bike, ever...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

The suspension is adequate if you are 150lbs or less, which I am. Over that, it will need some work.

However, once you set up the suspension custom, it will be better than the STR, already has a better motor (with fewer leaks to boot), much better parts availability, dealer network, lower cost parts/aftermarket options... All for much less than the STR.

The only reason I see to buy the Triumph, is to join the Triumph club. Once you do, you will return to Japanese bikes within a couple years, for a myriad of reasons :)

I ditched a 2011 Speed Triple for this bike, and don't regret selling that bike, ever...
Thought you were unloading this whip fizzer - change of heart?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I went with the ohlins rear shock and spent less than $700 on it (can't specify specific price but it was a good deal). The front fork needs to be addressed at some point but this bike is night and day different even with the rear shock swap out. I haven't done anythign to the fueling - I will at some point but we have a supporting vendor here doing flashes for $80 bucks.

I got my bike for $7,500. Spent <$700 to address the suspension so far and will do the fueling at one point. I'm considerably under the $10k i would have spent on a street triple R and I have an engine that makes me laugh like an insane person every time i ride it.

Throw in better dealer network, bombproof parts (minus the CCT :) ) and you got yourself a hell of a bike for the price.

Consumer Budget Savvy Purchase Unlocked :)

$7500 OTD? How the heck did you manage that? Where? When? Back in November, 8500 seemed like a great deal here, just across the river!

As for the OP, Drewski summed it up for you. It all depends on how you will be riding. I am all stock in fuelling and suspension, and I commute and tour, usually two-up, and have no issues in either department. Maybe, if I go track riding, I may get the "upgrades" but stock is fine for me. Also, to mention, I am a lightweight at under 150/55 lbs fully geared. Did two 230 miles days this weekend with only a 10 minute rest-stop each- solo touring with the top case on- was a lot of fun. You don't need much to have fun.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As said above, truly depends on your riding situation/age. I say age but this could just be me, as I'm a young buck and spend about 60% of my riding hitting any corner I can. The difference between me and most other people with age is I haven't developed the fine tuned skills to give a damn about crappy suspension. IMO if you truly care about performance you are more likely to change the suspension regardless of the bike to fit you better; but it is in no doubt that the STR has better suspension.

Other than that the motor is something completely different... Like no other bike you've ridden before, and it's kickass...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
$7500 OTD? How the heck did you manage that? Where? When? Back in November, 8500 seemed like a great deal here, just across the river!
No i was ~$8,250 OTD - $7,500 was the final cost of the bike - (excluding everything else). Just tryign to compare apples to apples on retail of price of STR vs. FZ09 minus taxes etc.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I comapred the two and went with Street Triple R. They both are great bikes. Overall HP of both STR and FZ-09 is about the same. FZ-09 has more torque and price going for it. Triumph has ABS, better fueling, suspension and looks better IMO. You will find tons of opinions on both bikes. On FZ-09 forum, you will get most bang for the buck point of view for Yamaha. On Triumph forum, they feel like owning a Triumph is some how better than owning Yamaha (complete BS, of course). Go test ride both and pick the one that works for you. I have put 700 miles on my Street Triple and I am very very happy with it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wondering what you didn't like about Speedie. I think if Triumph shaves 50 lbs from Speedie, it will be a wonderful bike. That's pretty much the only thing I dont like about Speed Triple.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well...

It was 470+ pounds
After 12 months, the anodizing on the forks was very faded
The black powder coat on the wheels fades and turns grey without continued polishing, the new owner just emailed me a few weeks back asking about this issue too...
When I bought an extra set of radiator cowls (pearl white), the pearl white didn't match the original parts! I reordered, same thing. Went back and forth with Triumph, no solution, their paint just no longer matched.
Aftermarket slip on exhaust was $1200+

There were too many annoyances for a $13k bike...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
No i was ~$8,250 OTD - $7,500 was the final cost of the bike - (excluding everything else). Just tryign to compare apples to apples on retail of price of STR vs. FZ09 minus taxes etc.
Hey Beck we must bee joined at the hip! That is exactly what I paid OTD for mine too.

Had to go out of state to get the deal. Oregon where there is no sales tax and the Reg is cheap.

Unlike California where most places wanted north of 10K OTD. Bunch of Communists!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Cali prices definitely seemed nuts but you guys have year round great riding weather! I bought mine during a snow storm (we got a foot that day). Road it home in late december in 20 degree temps - froze my ass off - but loved every minute of it.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
OTD means one thing & one thing only -- THE PRICE Paid OTD including Tax, Tag, bogus Stealership fees, etc....It's the Only Number that counts -- the amount of Money (All in) you ultimately paid. :icon_thumright:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depends on where you live in the world, the availability of good dealers, real experts, lower cost parts and price relativity between the two bike varies heaps, the US and most parts of Europe have heaps of reflash experts, suspension gurus and parts wholesalers which by default drive the costs of the very necessary upgrades the bike needs (RBW fixes, mcct and suspension for all those over 70 kilos), if you live away from all the main continents, import duties, exchange rates etc almost create a situation where buying a sorted bike from the factory is the better option, the street triple handles out of the showroom floor, has a sweet motor with an intuitive and precise throttle, but is a lot dearer stock and doesn't go as well, looks are subjective.
Where I live its at least 3 grand to sort the suspenders out to a street triple standard, about $1200 for a budget fix, closest reflash outfit is in Aussie which wont be much change out of a grand (inc freights etc), screen $200, tail tidy $200, akro pipe,$1800, M4 with duties and freight $750, air filter $200, pads and ss lines $200, you would have an awesome MT09 for $20000 NZD, Street Triple R with and arrow muffler about $18000 NZD. You could have an awesome MT09 stateside for about 10 - 11 grand with high quality suspension bits and all the above bits, $12000-13000 NZD (0.85 ex rate).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Cali prices definitely seemed nuts but you guys have year round great riding weather! I bought mine during a snow storm (we got a foot that day). Road it home in late december in 20 degree temps - froze my ass off - but loved every minute of it.
My heart goes out to anyone who lives in cold country. My last job we flew into Teterboro, White Plains, Newark, etc alot. The cold is enough to kill the average man.

I was living in San Diego at the time. We often had 80 degree days in December and January. Image going from that to below zero in Jersey. Yikes!

I bought my Fz09 in February and have ridden it almost every day since. Socal is great for riding but the politics of the state are not to my liking.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
OTD means one thing & one thing only -- THE PRICE Paid OTD including Tax, Tag, bogus Stealership fees, etc....It's the Only Number that counts -- the amount of Money (All in) you ultimately paid. :icon_thumright:
That's my beef with OTD prices on a national/international forum including tax, the tax varies a lot depending on where you are, so if OTD includes the tax it is hard to compare. Sure, if you are deciding if you are willing/able to pay it you need to include the tax, and insurance, maintenance, etc.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
That's my beef with OTD prices on a national/international forum including tax, the tax varies a lot depending on where you are, so if OTD includes the tax it is hard to compare. Sure, if you are deciding if you are willing/able to pay it you need to include the tax, and insurance, maintenance, etc.
My thoughts exactly - which is why i talk about total price of the bike - not that i've purchased many (this is my first new one). But hard to compare with every state having varying tax rates etc. Retail pricing is constant no matter the other factors - i dont think there's any reason not to use that as a comparison point. Either way i dont think you can argue the FZ in anyway costs more than a STR - even with the highest end suspension mods and ECU flash.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts