Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but I have to ask...anyone here have a Tracer GT?
I have a friend that is trying to decide between a Triumph 800 Tiger and the Tracer. He's selling his FJR1300 and is looking for a replacement. His riding is primarily long distance touring and the occasional mountain twists romp. I will say he does a great job in the tight stuff, but it's too much of a workout for him. Thus he is on the hunt for something lighter and more compact. Over the past several years he's taken two week trips from Alabama to Four Corners, The Calgary Stampede and this summer's trip plans are make it to the Arctic Circle. Any thoughts on the Tracer GT?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I took a serious look at the Tracer as I was coming from a Harley Road King. I know they are not in the "same" category, but the main reason I didn't like the Road King is the weight! I compared the 2019 MT 09 and the Tracer 900 GT before deciding the MT 09 would fit my style more. I really liked the Tracer, but could not justify the cost difference for me as I do not do any actual long trips on the bike. I figured I can add heated grips and windscreen for less than the $4K difference in price. As stated above, every review I read on the 2019 Tracer 900 GT says it is a very good travel bike. The reviewers were surprised at how comfortable it was and how many miles they could put on it in one day. I do not know anything about the Triumph Tiger, so can't help you there.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I imagine you're much more likely to find a Yamaha dealer out in the boonies than a Triumph dealer. It may never come up that you need one, but that would still be a factor for me.

I've sat on the Tracer GT, and it seems well layed out and comfy. If I ever start traveling around by bike, it's on my short list. Gotta wait until the kids are out of the house first...

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Troop needs to post up regarding his new Tiger 800.

Does the Tracer have electronic cruise control?

The Tiger is a true adventure bike with long travel and capable of off road stuff. The Tracer has substantially less travel. The Tiger comes in an XR and XC with a few important differences. Both great bikes.

The most important advice, in my mind, is to test drive each of them with his ultimate purpose being the primary focus. There are so many other choices as well.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Kinda weird how no one here owns a GT ?? Heck, my local dealer has a Niken but has never received a GT? OK Rideto, I'm thinking your friend is looking at a XRx? This would be the model that has cruise, ride modes, hand guards, etc. For the msrp of $12,999., the GT is a good deal with the included luggage. The XRx has a retail of $13,500 (?). The GT will be the sportier of the two as it has a 17" front wheel versus the XR's 19" and a 1" shorter wheelbase. Depending on your friends stature, the XR actually has a 1" lower seat height than the GT and has a roomier layout. Suspension wise, the GT has been upgraded from the FJ/FZ, but the Showa equipped XR will likely be a bit firmer. The GT will have a bit more overall zip, but the Triumph triple is smoother, less raucous. Fit and finish on the Triumph is also a little nicer. Mileage will be about the same with the Tiger having a 5 gallon tank. It also uses 87 octane. It's getting close to the time (Jan-Mar), when Triumph tends to include luggage as a purchase incentive for the 800 Tigers. Also, deals will likely be easier to come by on the Triumph as their might be leftover 2017/2018 models out there. Heck, this past January I was able to buy my new 800 Tiger XCx (with included 3 piece luggage/hardware) total out-the-door for $10,400. List, with luggage, was $15,700. As above, the dealer network favors Yamaha, but the 800 model has been very reliable over the years. I really liked my time with the FZ (also sold them so have experience with the FJ), but I like my Tiger more. Happy shopping for your friend :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Troop, your comparison was extra helpful. I've never owned an unreliable motorcycle, so considerations about dealer network have never entered my mind. I will say my buddy may think differently when he is on the Haul Road headed for the Arctic Circle.

And he is of, ahem, short stature.

And I got a giggle out of your tags on your truck.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have a 2014 Tiger 1200..the engine is an absolute joy....it will pull like a train from almost any RPM . I was not happy with the suspension so I had it redone by Traxxion Dynamics ..the newer bikes with the WP suspension are much better stock than mine was..that being said, I think the Tiger is a better choice if he plans on touring with it.

The tiger is heavier and it will feel heavier moving it around, but all that weight disappears once your moving.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Actually, they'll be within a few pounds of weight once fluids are added to the Tiger.
Tracer GT: Wet Weight 474 lb* (*does not include side cases)
XRx: Dry Weight 439 Lbs (199 kg)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Actually, they'll be within a few pounds of weight once fluids are added to the Tiger.
Tracer GT: Wet Weight 474 lb* (*does not include side cases)
XRx: Dry Weight 439 Lbs (199 kg)

Ah, you are correct, I was thinking of the 1200 weight.... (571 pounds)

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
More info.

I had a new 800 XCX like Troops very briefly. Great bike, but too tall for me. With its 8”+ travel on W.P. components, I was buying on the extreme end for smoothing out our terrible highways. It turned out to be overkill and a bad choice for me heightwise. It also sports a 21” front wheel contributing to its height. Troop is lucky being much taller than I am. I probably would have kept the Tiger if it had been the shorter XRX. As Troop said, the XRX has a 19” wheel to make it a lot more nimble in twisties. Those are alloy vs spoked wheels providing an easily pluggable tubeless tire, which Troop has bought and added to his collection for more tour friendly tires. The one takeaway on the XRX vs XCX is the suspension. The XRX does not offer W.P. suspension which is superb. As an added note, the third letter X provides cruise control as a standard feature not offered on the baseline XC and XR and Triumph cruise control is one of the best around. It can be used in any gear at any speed. I used mine through school zones set at 15 mph in second gear and it worked flawlessly.

Troop just mentioned the XRX Low Model with a minimum seat height of 30”. That’s a whopping 3” less than the Tracer, yet the Triumph still has .5” more travel. That should give it more compliance on bumps and handle a bit more loading for a long tour. If the buyer can deal with the standard height of the XRX, he will add another 1.5” to front and rear travel. An even smoother ride and substantially more loading capability. He would also have the 19” front tire in either of the height choices which is also a plus over the Tracer 17”.

Not bashing the Tracer, but, barring dealer network differences, I think the Triumph is the clear winner.

As some already know, I ended up with a BMW F700GS. I feel it’s a very good choice if the buyer is not set on a triple. It’s 48” tall vs the 53” on the aforementioned bikes. It also has the fuel tank under the seat, so the c.o.g. is very low making balance simpler. Mine is standard height which fits my 32” inseam, but they do offer it in a low model as well. The F700 has a 19” front wheel with tubeless tires. Horsepower is lower at 70, but I find it more than enough for freeway cruising at 80-90 mph or passing cars with room to spare. Constant, repeatable 55 mpg and 250 miles per tank is the plus side of the lower hp. The 7” of travel totally smooths out the bumps. The dealer network is great and it came with a 3 year warranty that includes free roadside service as long as its not off road.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Pros for the Yamaha: The engine is punchier, and it feels a little better balanced (less top-heavy). Better price IF you pay MSRP. Better looking bike.

Pros for the Triumph 800's: Perfect fueling from the factory (Note that I'm comparing this to the FZ-09, not Tracer), better luggage options, nicer fit & finish (It feels like a more expensive bike), IMO the ergonomics and wind protection are better. Just add Rox risers and a Madstad screen if you feel it needs it, it's comfortable for 800+ miles in a day. Definitely more comfortable passenger accommodation, especially with a Sargent seat.

They both have cruise and a decent tank range. I really love my '16 800 Xcx, but can't say which I would own if the 900GT was on the market 2 years ago.
Performance wise I feel they are very close, and if the intended use was touring I would base my choice on how well the ergonomics & suspension comfort felt to me.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Going back to the original post about liking twisties and tight stuff, the XCX with stock wheels would not be my first choice. I know from experience, the 21” front wheel can work, but the 19” is a lot friendlier through the curves. The whole point of the 21” is for off roading. If your friend is not into that, he should go for the smaller diameter. The extra bonus of that would be tubeless tires.

The Tracer has 17” front and rear which is even better for turning, but the downside is just over 5” travel. It surprises me that it’s such a tall bike given the short wheel and travel dimensions. I doubt that the ride would be less harsh than any other sport bike.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have the Tracer gt, bought it as a demo as the Yamaha sales rep had it but only 63 miles on the odometer, with the touring screen and top rack already installed. Got a good deal. I've taken it on one 3 day 1800 mile trip to Arkansas before the season was over. Well I lost October and November from cutting off the end of my finger. I rented the tiger 800 with the 19 inch front wheel for a trip to the Florida keys starting in Miami. Spent 3 days on it. If he wants an adv bike buy the tiger if he wants the better bike for everything else buy the Tracer. Although if things work out I'll be riding the Tracer to Alaska too. You don't need an adv bike to do adv things every once and a while. I'm on my phone so choppy post. Any questions ask away.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's funny you punctuated your post with "Seriously," it's almost like you know I'm full of Shiit or something. :laughing4:

I wish I had a better story for it, but pretty boring. Not 100% sure on the exact logistics of it, but my parents needed some furniture moved and a piece broke off of the table, and some how wedged my finger and basically ripped everything from the base of the finger nail bed and forward off. It snapped off a piece of the bone and everything was to mangled to reattach so they just filed down the bone, trimmed up the meat, and gave me a nub. On the bright side it cuts down on the time I spend trimming my finger nails.

I joke about the fact that out of all the stupid things I do and have done and it's a mundane task like moving a bed side table that gets me.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Sorry man. That sounds pretty gruesome. Homes are dangerous places. Farms are even worse.

Thinking this through, if I hadn’t said seriously, we probably would have been well entertained by your tale.

I won’t tell you to be careful, since the deed is done. My wife is good at telling me that after the fact. Cracks me up every time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pictures?

Seriously. I rode an FJ and a Tiger before purchasing the FJ: felt 'punchier' (more immediate, stronger throttle response, vs. softer. The FJ felt more responsive/nimble, vs, well, relaxed (nicer than slower). And one thing that really put me off - the Tiger had 40K on it, and it looked like 120K - faded and torn seat, corrosion, wear everywhere. Parking/maintenance can make a difference, but this example didn't speak well for the brand. On a cost/mileage basis, my used FJ (with 330kms) at $8500CDN, was a much better value than the Tiger at 40,000K and $6,400CDN. FWIW. FJr.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
13 Participants
Tigershark
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing