Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Have been running it in a variety of bikes and cars with no ill effect.

Sure sign of the economy: The 87 button at the pump is wore through the plastic

and the other 2 are in much less used condition.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You all know when you push the button for 91 octane, the pump automatically does a flush through the pump system and the hose all the way to the nozzle so you don't get a quart or so of the REGULAR 87 octane left in the system from the person who fuelled up on regular just ahead of you. I also hear that since less premium is sold it typically is not fresh as the regular gas. Sure wish I could find a 3 hose pump in town.

Reactions: C. Dolan

·
Registered
877 Posts
Interesting observation, in that fresh regular may be as good or better than stale promo.

Only 4 points difference between the two, anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You all know when you push the button for 91 octane, the pump automatically does a flush through the pump system and the hose all the way to the nozzle so you don't get a quart or so of the REGULAR 87 octane left in the system from the person who fuelled up on regular just ahead of you. I also hear that since less premium is sold it typically is not fresh as the regular gas. Sure wish I could find a 3 hose pump in town.
I have never heard this before and don't see any return mechanism to flush what is already past the point of the pump. Do you have a link documenting this? I typically avoid the one hose multi grade pumps...

·
Registered
734 Posts
Have been running it in a variety of bikes and cars with no ill effect.

Sure sign of the economy: The 87 button at the pump is wore through the plastic

and the other 2 are in much less used condition.
Most bikes and cars use 87 , like my gl1800 spec's 87 , but it will rattle , so I use 91.
So how will a engine respond that is designed for 91, react useing 87???? Just a thought.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My manual states to use 91, as well. So that is what I'll be using.

My GSX-R said to use 87, so that is what I used.

I'll be following the manual for everything but the break in.

·
Vendor
2,395 Posts
So is there evidence about the "flush" or are we all paying 91 price for whatever the driver before us pumped...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You all know when you push the button for 91 octane, the pump automatically does a flush through the pump system and the hose all the way to the nozzle so you don't get a quart or so of the REGULAR 87 octane left in the system from the person who fuelled up on regular just ahead of you.
HUH? Your incorrect if your referring to a single hose station.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have never heard this before and don't see any return mechanism to flush what is already past the point of the pump. Do you have a link documenting this? I typically avoid the one hose multi grade pumps...
I think he/she may have been misinformed. There is no magical fluid/ chemical that can be the "FLUSH" without blending. The only way to complete change fuel grades without blending in a one hose stating it to evac the system and they don't do that at your neighborhood convenience store.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
So is there evidence about the "flush" or are we all paying 91 price for whatever the driver before us pumped...
With a one hose system your getting about a gallon of whatever was pumped last.

That's why I try to find a 3 hose station. It's getting harder to find them nowadays.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was being sarcastic about the pump flushing whatever was last used. I figured we all have been pumping gas long enough to know that. Guess not. Sorry.

But the part about getting some of what was last pumped I believe to be true. I still buy 91. Detonation is not good for any motor. the part about older gas I heard from a tanker driver.

Reactions: Josh

·
Registered
584 Posts
There is not any 3 hose pump in my town. I have looked. There are some two hose pumps around town but diesel would really mess things up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts