Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new MT09 owner here. I've always had a soft spot for the 09 since they came out. I've ridden my cousins 2015 09 and loved the engine but wasn't a fan of the chassis and suspension. Over the years since, I've gone to a bunch of Yamaha demo rides and I can say that I've ridden every bike that has the CP3 engine in it, even the 3 wheeled Niken GT.

I bought a 2017 MT07 and had a blast with it and then I moved on to a 2019 KTM 790 Duke. The 790 is a fantastic bike but it is let down by KTM's infamous reliability unfortunately. Day 1 and it had a brake light that was stuck always on and a valve cover oil leak. Little while later had a failed immobilizer that disabled ABS, traction control, and the quickshifter while I was riding it. After all that was fixed, the front rotors started warping. Everything was taken care of under the warranty but it really put me off and kept me worrying what was going to happen next. I missed the Yamaha piece of mind (previously I've owned 4 Yamaha motorcycles and 3 of their Waverunners).

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

When the 3rd gen MT09 came out, it caught my attention. Better suspension, slightly bigger engine, and electronics that rivaled what the 790 has. I demo rode the standard MT09 and the SP twice. Loved the updates so I put a deposit down at my local dealership early May. Time passed and the delivery date kept getting pushed back month after month. Eventually, I put a few feelers out from the Yamaha dealer inventory site and got a call from a dealership 5 hours away. Secured a deal, hooked up my trailer, and drove to get it.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Excited to finally call an MT09 my own and look forward to all the fun we'll have!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,416 Posts
Hi everyone, new MT09 owner here. I've always had a soft spot for the 09 since they came out. I've ridden my cousins 2015 09 and loved the engine but wasn't a fan of the chassis and suspension. Over the years since, I've gone to a bunch of Yamaha demo rides and I can say that I've ridden every bike that has the CP3 engine in it, even the 3 wheeled Niken GT.

I bought a 2017 MT07 and had a blast with it and then I moved on to a 2019 KTM 790 Duke. The 790 is a fantastic bike but it is let down by KTM's infamous reliability unfortunately. Day 1 and it had a brake light that was stuck always on and a valve cover oil leak. Little while later had a failed immobilizer that disabled ABS, traction control, and the quickshifter while I was riding it. After all that was fixed, the front rotors started warping. Everything was taken care of under the warranty but it really put me off and kept me worrying what was going to happen next. I missed the Yamaha piece of mind (previously I've owned 4 Yamaha motorcycles and 3 of their Waverunners).

View attachment 168236

When the 3rd gen MT09 came out, it caught my attention. Better suspension, slightly bigger engine, and electronics that rivaled what the 790 has. I demo rode the standard MT09 and the SP twice. Loved the updates so I put a deposit down at my local dealership early May. Time passed and the delivery date kept getting pushed back month after month. Eventually, I put a few feelers out from the Yamaha dealer inventory site and got a call from a dealership 5 hours away. Secured a deal, hooked up my trailer, and drove to get it.

View attachment 168237

Excited to finally call an MT09 my own and look forward to all the fun we'll have!
I think you can generalize to a point that this is a problem with most Euro bikes. I had an air cooled old technology Ducati Scrambler and had the same type of issues. The motorcycle press raves about Euro bikes but never seems to address reliability and seems to ignore parts and service prices which are almost double Japanese motorcycles. I've never had a Yamaha break down or had to make a warranty claim. The other positive about Yamaha is that there are a gazzilion aftermarket parts and accessories. Having an unridable motorcycle in the garage just sucks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you can generalize to a point that this is a problem with most Euro bikes. I had an air cooled old technology Ducati Scrambler and had the same type of issues. The motorcycle press raves about Euro bikes but never seems to address reliability and seems to ignore parts and service prices which are almost double Japanese motorcycles. I've never had a Yamaha break down or had to make a warranty claim. The other positive about Yamaha is that there are a gazzilion aftermarket parts and accessories. Having an unridable motorcycle in the garage just sucks.
Totally agree. I've always heard the stories about reliability but decided to see for myself. I don't regret owning the 790 but it answered my questions about KTM. They can build a hell of a bike but still struggle with making them solid and reliable. I really like the 890 Duke R but after hearing that they have similar issues that the 790 had, it was an easy decision to go with the MT09. Not sure what it is. Bad quality control? Cost-cutting on certain parts? I don't know, but the fact that KTM didn't seem to care to fix issues that they know about, even with a new model, isn't doing much to help them shake the stereotypes that they've become known for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Awesome bike! Sorry to hear about the issues with the KTM, but now you have a king of reliability and smile maker-in-chief. Reliability (plus associated maintenance costs of exotic/uniqueness) always stopped me getting a euro bike.

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Totally agree. I've always heard the stories about reliability but decided to see for myself. I don't regret owning the 790 but it answered my questions about KTM. They can build a hell of a bike but still struggle with making them solid and reliable. I really like the 890 Duke R but after hearing that they have similar issues that the 790 had, it was an easy decision to go with the MT09. Not sure what it is. Bad quality control? Cost-cutting on certain parts? I don't know, but the fact that KTM didn't seem to care to fix issues that they know about, even with a new model, isn't doing much to help them shake the stereotypes that they've become known for.
Well said and that's the whole reason why I didn't run down and buy a 890 right after riding one.
Hey, it's fun to hang out with crackhead strippers but I ain't marrying one!

·
Registered
260 Posts
. I don't regret owning the 790 but it answered my questions about KTM. They can build a hell of a bike but still struggle with making them solid and reliable.
I cut my teeth on late '80's / early '90's KTM dirt bikes. The average person wasn't aware of what they were. " KTM? K....that a Kawasaki model?" Every friend that had a Japanese equivalent of my KTM's, the KTM would walk all over it. Buying parts was hard and the aftermarket basically didn't exist for them. Fast forward a bit to the late '90's/ early 00's and KTM hit their stride. They were making superb dirt bikes with great suspension, stonking engines and they were light! The Japanese had to play catch up, and KTM is still a dominating force in the offroad world. But like you say, their reputation for reliability isn't great these days. My '02 KTM dirt bike is a WAY better machine than my '98 Honda was. Not just in performance, but the build quality and reliability is way better. I don't constantly have to patch the KTM up like the Honda required. KTM "innovates" a lot nowadays. Always a new model having to hash out teething issues. But look at Yamaha's FZ 07 and 09. New models and the hit the floor running with perfect reliability. It CAN be done.

People expect KTM to push the performance envelope, and many are willing to give KTM a reliability pass for the performance they give. I think it's an odd combination of KTM relying on their name for sales combined with people buying them as bragging rights rather than machines to actually ride. I'll always have a soft spot for KTM ( and I'll never let my RFS go!), but I'm riding and buying Yamaha's these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts