Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Looks like I'm not the only one responding to an old dead thread. Taking bets on Andy answering or not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I might be
You're not. I haven't INTENTIONALLY wheelied mine yet. First bike for this 40 something fart.

( Airliner Speak) When your copilot says very softly in your year... "V One, Rotate" and you feel your front wheel lifting off the ground... I can find a some very colorful adjectives to describe the situation.

1. Need new undies?
2. WTF are you doing... wait, this feels fun... but hold on a minute there sire, see point 1.
3. The devil over my left shoulder is smiling... He's the one that said, "V One, Rotate"!
4. The angel over my right shoulder, flapping his wings at full tilt, is trying to reach my right hand and release some pull. ( He wins for now )

After 16k miles, I am still too inexperienced to wheelie. I still don't have full gear. Need pants and boots. I honestly do not have the balls yet. All the babysitters on my bike are engaged. The only thing I partake of is the A mode 100% of the time, even in rain.

I have scrapped my pegs at least twice, but I feel I can still improve my cornering skills substantially.

Maybe when I'm about ready to retire/sell the my first MonsTah-09, I'll start practicing wheelies.

For now, I'll keep extra stock of undies, and a couple under the seat.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Now I feel like an idiot. Didn't even notice this thread was elderly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I don't know how someone can say wheelies are scarier than scraping pegs? I'm way more afraid of hitting some dirt leaning in a corner than popping wheelies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess it's cause I don't have experience doing wheelies, but have had experience scraping pegs.

In the worst case scenario, both could lead to serious injury/damage. IMHO lowsiding while scraping pegs, would be "less" dangerous than any type of mishap that can happen while doing a wheelie???

Again, inexperienced rider here!

41 - 46 of 46 Posts