Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the FZ09 is working great
getting the suspension sorted out 2010 zx10 shock modified length and valveing, working on forks
I am getting in tune with the throttle, clutch action and gearing every thing works feels way different than the R1
really liking the overall performance with stoll tec mod on ECU
only question is
6th gear wine, 55mph about 3800 rpms, faster speed wine goes away,, shift to 5th sounds good no wine
I have had many years of trouble shooting with GM vehicles this wine is not good wine means high frequency vibration this equals unwanted accelerated wear on parts involved with wining noise, the harmonics of the engine are setting this problem in motion at this RPM.
I have contacted Yamaha about this but like GM until there is many complains Yamaha will not start a case file on this issues.
NOT trying to cause a problem for Yamaha but they should be aware of this, I am sure they are.
The bike is a blast to ride and yes I will keep riding it wine or on wine.

·
Registered
582 Posts
been posted before. 3rd and 6th wine at lower rpms. I got 2550 miles on mine. normal imho

·
Registered
637 Posts
How tight is your chain?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same thing on my bike with only 450KM on the clock, as you mention mine also goes away at higher speeds and doesn't do it in any other gear. I thought it was just part of the break in process..

Reactions: Mcmann

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The whine comes from the straight cut gears in the transmission... Same reason every car with a manual transmission whines in reverse. But why the noise is only noticeable in 6th gear is beyond me :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mine has the noise too, but I'm not in 6th at 55! I don't shift into 6th until around 70 if I'm going to be there for a while. If not I don't bother shifting into 6th. The whine I hear is the same I have heard in my both my R1's, R6, Panigale, FJR, and also a friends Moto Guzzi I rode for a little while. To me it's normal and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Shift later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
That WHINE(sp) is aggravating at times. Mechanical noises that i know are not normal drive me batty, more so that others I believe. I run fifth till about 65. I know it kills fuel mileage, but can't take that sixth noise below 70 Above 70 it is just about quiet, or the wind conceals the noise. Third gear is the most annoying on mine. Get on the gas from say 3k and it screams.
I learned what speeds and throttle positions that minimizes the noise. So I compensate.
I mentioned in the original post that we just fluff it off, because there is no fix for it. Maybe a member here will prove that statement wrong. I tell myself that it is really is minor compared the the strengths that this bike has.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Got the whine! 6th gear (exact rpm's unknown...bike's always near red-line...the only way to break-it-in...500mi).
Startled me once...as I closed out a full day of riding...was zoning a bit...when the whine hit...thought someone fired a missile...realized it was the rocket under me. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
While looking at the bike before I bought it the dealer told me that Yamaha's were known to have a whine to the gear box. It is annoying...
Like others, I don't experience it until in 6th at slower speeds so I also tend to stay out of 6th until going a bit faster.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've got less than 7000 Kms on the bike , but I think the whine is telling me I'm in too tall a gear at too low a rpm... so the whine is relative to the gearbox load. The higher the speed (more rotations) the lower the load and therefore the quieter the whine. As an example: The 6th gear whine is very prominent at 100 Km/h, but at 130 Km/h I can barely hear it. I don't think the wind speed noise defeats it that much. Fifth gear behaves in much the same way... ??? Anyone experience the same thing?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
From day one, I've had a pronounced and very audible 'whirrrrr' in fifth gear that increases in volume as the speed increases. I get just a hint of the same noise in sixth, but it's way more noticeable in fifth. If I keep my throttle position at the same opening and pull in the clutch it goes away which makes me question whether it's the clutch or the fifth gear cog itself. It's pretty annoying so I try to never stay too long in fifth. I guess it's probably just another of the many odd noises the 09 makes as it runs fine and is just as smooth in fifth as the other 5 gears despite the damn noise...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts