Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but this is what I hear:
when Im doing 60+ and in 6th gear, I hear a high pitched whirring noise. I thought I read somewhere that it was the chain cam tensioner? Its only in 6th gear, and at higher speeds. Also verified that its not my helmet or visor that is open.

Im at 350 miles, so when I bring the bike in for its first oil change, I want to be able to bring up any issues to the dealer.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Well, the cam chain tensioner would be related to engine speed, not gear position, or actual speed.

If it is only in this gear, at certain speeds, it's more likely related to the drivetrain. How's your chain tension?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure how to check that. I havent adjusted anything. Ive just been riding

·
Registered
272 Posts
Mine does the same I think it could be the stacked tranmission but I'am not to worried it, kind of sounds like the v drive boats I've owned. I have a friend picking up a new one and I'll see if his does the same thing. RR:cool:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The cam drive train makes a whine. I had an '86 Honda vfr400r (nc24 for those across the pond), that made the same whine. But it was constant. Here is a sound clip

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ride more, worry less.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Wow @ the vfr400r, nice bike. Was in my riding gap years, a lot of the bikes of the time I'm glad I missed, but that one looks fun.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sixth gear above 70 it doesn't whine. 60 mph in sixth is horrible, but I don't shift to sixth till 70. 3200 and no change. Maybe synthetic will help. At 4000 I will change to synthetic, but I don't have expectations.
Ditto the words of motomania!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably the chain, The bike is so quiet that you hear every little noise coming from the engine drive line and even brakes, dont worry about it, plug in an Ipod or get ear plugs!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes mine makes this sound between 5-6k RPM in 6th gear. Other owners are reporting the same. Another thread same topic is in the members Section of this forum

·
Registered
79 Posts
its the gears, like stated above 3rd and 6th just whine more than the others... chain tensioner issues TYPICALLY sound more like rattle that accelerates with rpm etc AFAIK

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
well, at least your bike doesn't sound like this, does it?

^and that's normal noise for a sequential racing gearbox.

i saw a guy on a zero the other day. the bike is so quiet it's scary.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alright, thanks alot guys. On to riding. Its almost spring here.. lots to look forward to

1 - 19 of 19 Posts