Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke 600 today. I'm excited. Hoping to get to 1000 soon. The bike sounds great, I think the exhaust has gotten louder if that's possible. Rode around in Standard mode a bit today, the throttle becomes an on/off switch. As soon as I shifted from first to second, I felt the front get light.

In 642 miles I still have not wheelied the bike, so I think you need to go out of your way to do this to a degree.

Today was another 100 mile ride. We went through the mountains, up and down the mountains with turns everywhere. That was fine. Don't do that behind a Harley who doesn't know how to ride through turns. Did that for a good 50 miles. The bike is a party when you are by yourself or with other people who are comfortable with their bikes. It was windy and I don't have a screen, this wasn't a problem. I could see being able to go for a while on this bike as long as you are willing to stop for gas. Hmmm....almost had a tractor run into me and a lady turn left into me. This isn't the safest thing to do, is it?!?!? Ugh. Had on enough gear for a track day.

Anyway, I took the BRC2 on this bike. I was going to leave before the test since I already have my license, but stayed since I was there for five hours anyway. I passed on the FZ-09. Hah. Here's what I noticed about the bike at BRC2-

-Riding slowly, around 7 mph, is a bit of a challenge since this bike wants to move. The cruisers are easier to ride at really slow speeds. So, the FZ was actually harder to ride through the weaves.
-I suddenly became a figure 8 pro. This bike is really easy to turn. All of the turning exercises were way easier with this bike compared to a cruiser. The emergency stops were just as easy, but I felt the difference in the brakes. If I had to stop, this one would be the bike I would want to be on.

So, how have you liked the bike now that you guys have put some miles on it?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just passed 2000 miles this weekend. Best bike I ever owned. I can't go back to the cruiser at this point. It definitely took me a while to get used to the steeper steering rake of this bike. It was sketchy to ride one handed at first, because It seemed twitchy as hell, and was much higher off the ground. All good now. I see 5000 miles by the end of the summer for me. I haven't put that many miles on a bike in one season since I was in my 20's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
put it in B mode for slow speed maneuvering, it's much less twitchy. I think the bike excells at slow speed maneuvering once you do this. Otherwise, Yup.

bike wants to go fast, bike wants to bob and weave like a streetfighter/supermotard. goes fast, stops fast.

gives me permagrin every time I ride her.

I do wish it was less then 107 out so I could go for long long rides like i like.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the ARC on mine a few weeks ago, +1 for B mode in a parking lot. Also try dragging your rear brake for slow speed control/maneuvering.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm at about 1100 miles. I'm absolutely loving it. The bike can be a little bit unpredictable in some ways due to the combination of snatchy throttle (in STD and A modes) and rear suspension's tendency to compress so easily under hard throttle, but I'm working on dealing with those. Already got the suspension sorted out (Penske 8983 + springs/oil). ECU flash is in the near future.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
398 miles on mine. I agree with you Jen, I think the exhaust has a little more growl to it now than when I picked it up. It's definitely a fun bike.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nearing 5500 miles..and yes, slow speed maneuvers are very very easy on this one. I remember when I took this to the Bear Mt ride with a hipster-centric ride out of NY, in the obstacle course, I could easily make the bike stand still and crawl on the dime- in the first go- when people were dropping their heavy GSs and Harleys (dont know why this one dude tried to use his Nightrod for the obstacle course- optimistic chap that!)! Figure 8s are pretty easy yes...that's why I want to challenge this bike in a slow training course like this one:
Looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Will turn 1,000 miles on my next ride. Wish it didn't rain so much here in Ohio so I could ride to work more. Can be fun riding in the rain, but I don't like the unnecessary wear to chain and possibly other exposed components. That being said, wish I didn't work near as much either so I could actually enjoy maybe say... 1/2 day of actual joy riding at least every couple weeks. Like everyone else, I definitely love this bike more and more every time I ride too. What a blast to ride! And great all- around package for the money.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Also: The "on/off" throttle response in STD and A modes is one of the common complaints people have with the bike and it's why so many people are going to get ECU flashes. It smooths out the throttle response in STD and A modes so that it's just as smooth in those modes as it is in B mode, and a smooth throttle is a must for people who ride aggressively or ride track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm with ya I'm just over 700 miles an had my first service Saturday (159$) an does seem like the exhaust is a tad louder. I'm still kinda nervous for std an A mode maybe one day

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm with ya I'm just over 700 miles an had my first service Saturday (159$) an does seem like the exhaust is a tad louder. I'm still kinda nervous for std an A mode maybe one day
LOL.

1433 miles here. Got it exactly three weeks ago today. Ordered the m4 this morning as well.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I got up Friday the 4th and left out around 5:45am and rode to Tennessee. Once I got to Paducah Ky I got off the slab and hit the twisties through Land Between the Lakes park into Tenn. Then cut west and picked up 231 south. I was going to take it down to Hwy 70 but ended up almost running out of gas and had to back track and found some alternative routes. I put just under 500 miles on it Friday and then came back Sunday, but took the slab the whole way which sucks. Traffic was heavy, but there is no such thing as a traffic jam on this thing. I rode aggressive lane splitting and carving through the idiots who don't understand what the left lane is for. I know for a fact I pissed quite a few people off and probably had a lot of people calling me an idiot. I figure if you are going to drive in the left lane and take 5 minutes to pass someone and there by causing a line of cars to pile up behind you, you are an *******. If you are going to drive like an ******* I'll drive like an *******. Rant over. Friday was 500 miles. Sunday was 400 miles and I now have 4300 miles on the clock. I plan on ordering a couple of those small auxiliary gas cans to strap on the back of the bike before my next road trip. That small gas tank had me twice looking at that flashing bar and praying for a gas station.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have a bit of experience on 100 horsepower streetbikes so Ive been putting it in A mode first thing. At 1150 miles I love it. At 6'2" it is very comfortable lots of legroom and upright for my bad back. My first trip through the canyons above Boulder was the first time I noticed the suspension. I don't think I'm riding hard enough to worry about it right now. You don't stop riding because you get old you get old because you stop riding. Wheelie on dudes!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
-Riding slowly, around 7 mph, is a bit of a challenge since this bike wants to move. The cruisers are easier to ride at really slow speeds. So, the FZ was actually harder to ride through the weaves.
-I suddenly became a figure 8 pro. This bike is really easy to turn. All of the turning exercises were way easier with this bike compared to a cruiser. The emergency stops were just as easy, but I felt the difference in the brakes. If I had to stop, this one would be the bike I would want to be on
Jen,
There is a trick to slow speed maneuvering, just drag the rear brake while you apply the gas, as in the whole time you are on the gas a little bit, drag the rear brake. You can go two miles per hour perfectly in control and balanced. Try making figure 8's in any empty parking lot using that method.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
642... she's still brand new! :)

Pop 7K mark today (580 miles day. WPB to somewhere in GA)

Glad you enjoy your ride. Ok... gotta sleep now. Still plenty of riding to do in the morning :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7k already? Wow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts