Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done they're 1st service yet. I'm debating on taking it to dealer or do it myself. Called the dealer and they wanted 250 for it. A few things they said they would do oil, filter,chain adjustment, and re calibrate or re time throttle body, and check computer for any codes. Seems expensive to me but what do you guys think. Also anybody know about the throttle body re calibrating, I have no experiance with that or have any idea what it entails. Thanks guys

W

·
0 Posts
A lot of dough for a fancy oil change but if you aren't familiar with doing this stuff yourself, then the money would be well-spent. It's pretty simple but does take time and patience. As far as the codes and ECU check, unlikely anything would need to be done with the throttle body but with the YCC-t this could be a mandatory check. Best look through the owner's manual and see if it specifies any procedure involving the throttle bodies, etc.

My FZ8 doesn't need anything like this but it's a different setup.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Sounds excessive to me...

Oil and filter are mandatory, but easy to do yourself for far less than $250. I would look for more info on the oiling system beforehand though, if the bike uses a dry sump or semi-dry sump oiling system there are extra details involved to ensure it's filled to the right level. No idea what the bike is equipped with yet though.

As for the other stuff, chain slack should have been checked at the initial setup, and it should still be well within spec at that point. Same with the throttle body, every bike can benefit from a throttle body sync, but after only 600 miles I doubt it's even close to necessary. And any codes through the computer should illuminate a light on the dash, so why would they even need to check that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 230 for the 600 mile oil change. I was planning to wash the bike, tighten/clean and lube the chain before Sunday anyway.. I'm thinking these first two services I'll have the stealership keep the warranty intact (with standard oil), then buy a shop manual and Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance my life away

·
Registered
611 Posts
So, is the 600 mile service at the dealership mandatory for the warranty?

Reactions: clousum

·
Registered
883 Posts
Although OK with performing oil and filter changes and chain lubes myself, I prefer to have a certified technician perform at least the first service on a new motorcycle. Not wanting to pay another expense so soon after taking possession of my Rapid Red earlier this month, I negotiated a free first service into my purchase agreement. Not having done so before, I'll probably add that to my goals in future purchase negotiations. The free first service is listed on the "We Owe" form provided by the dealer.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Maybe I can apply my $50 coupon for taking the Yamaha survey towards this. ;P

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The salesman ask me if i was going to do my service at the dealership, I said "NOP! I've been spinning wrenches for almost 25 years on anything from Honda Civic to Indycars... I can handle oil changes! If I grenade the engine I might stop by..." LOL

·
Registered
611 Posts
The salesman ask me if i was going to do my service at the dealership, I said "NOP! I've been spinning wrenches for almost 25 years on anything from Honda Civic to Indycars... I can handle oil changes! If I grenade the engine I might stop by..." LOL
LOL, That made me spit out my coffee a bit!

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
A lot of dough for a fancy oil change but if you aren't familiar with doing this stuff yourself, then the money would be well-spent. It's pretty simple but does take time and patience. As far as the codes and ECU check, unlikely anything would need to be done with the throttle body but with the YCC-t this could be a mandatory check. Best look through the owner's manual and see if it specifies any procedure involving the throttle bodies, etc.

My FZ8 doesn't need anything like this but it's a different setup.
I have read the Owners Manual TWICE and there is nothing in there about a throttle body recalibration.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look under the maintanance interval there is a fuel sync on bottom left hand page and its for every single service. They do not tell you how to do it in the manual though.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Dan, just change your oil and oil filter and record it. As far as the other things they are just checks. Check your chain tension, tires pressure, brakes, brake fluid levels, coolant level, throttle grip free play, clutch lever free play, brake lever free play (there should be none), lubrication of cable and levers.

As far as the valve clearance, check and adjust every 26,600 miles.

Sounds like your dealer may also be a snake oil salesman.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! Just saved myself some more $$ =) Oh wait, I already spent it on other stuff, lol

Reactions: eolith

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Look under the maintanance interval there is a fuel sync on bottom left hand page and its for every single service. They do not tell you how to do it in the manual though.
Your correct, section 7-3, 5 - Fuel injection - Adjust synchronization. It's up to you, I just spent $30 for oil and filter and then onto 1000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With the way I've been riding, I'm going to need the 600 mile service quite soon. I don't want to spend too much cashola on the service. This thread is helpful. I might do it on my own, but want to keep the warranty.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
With the way I've been riding, I'm going to need the 600 mile service quite soon. I don't want to spend too much cashola on the service. This thread is helpful. I might do it on my own, but want to keep the warranty.
I asked my dealership if me doing my own 600 mi service would void the warranty and they said "No".

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Deadduck thats what I ended up doing, about 2 weeks ago. No issues at all deffinatley saved alot of money. Very easy to do. I was just scared to void my warranty. But I will eventually by the tool to sync the throttle bodies. Def not right to charge that much money for oil, oil filter and checks. Well guess if they had to adjust the chain that makes up for it right? Lol

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Deadduck thats what I ended up doing, about 2 weeks ago. No issues at all deffinatley saved alot of money. Very easy to do. I was just scared to void my warranty. But I will eventually by the tool to sync the throttle bodies. Def not right to charge that much money for oil, oil filter and checks. Well guess if they had to adjust the chain that makes up for it right? Lol
Yeah, just hit 611mi and dropped my oil about 15 mins ago.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts