Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this: in fifth gear around 4-6 grand there's a pronounced mechanical 'whirring' noise coming from the right side-I'm assuming the clutch area-buts it's not the ever present FZ 'clutch rattle', and it's not the dreaded CCT noise, I'm overly familiar with that and I have the set screw mod anyway. It's only noticeable in fifth, and doesnt sound the least bit destructive-just a loud 'whirring' is the best way to describe it. It lessens as the revs climb in fifth, and will disappear if I downshift to fourth or upshift to sixth. It's probably always done it, but only just became noticeable because after installing the set screw, I now tend to move my right leg away from the bike periodically while riding to see if the damn CCT is acting up again. It rides fine in fifth, no clunkiness or trouble going into or out of 5th and still normal power delivery, just the odd noise. I've read some people have noise in 3rd and 6th, but I don't-my noise is only in 5th. For those who've had the 3rd and 6th noise, is it a similar 'whirring' sound, and is this normal? Wierd...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Im thinking that it is just transmission noise. This bike loves to talk, its like a woman. It will talk all day, even if it is saying nothing at all :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Except it gives us no tax break :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Mine sounds the same way in 5th.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Fizzer nailed it-this bike does love to talk, you hear everything it's doing. Might just be the way they stacked the input/output shafts, and like I said-it's not a 'that just sounds wrong' noise like the CCT, it's just a very mechanical whirring sound. But that's one of the things that makes the FZ such a unique bike, very mechanical looking with a soundtrack to match. Thanks for the replies...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts