·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil changes so far include

500 miles
1000 miles
and 3000 miles

All have been with regular oil and OEM filter ect.

Now after a winters nap before I start her up I wanted to change its at 5000 mile give or take.
I was going to stay with yamalube and the OEM filter I really don't plane on extending my oil change and I don't run in cold weather. Only 60F or higher for me thanks.

So what do you think. is the yamalube good as long as you keep it changed every 3000 or should I switch?

I want to do the maintenance and feel good about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Yamalube will work just fine. I've used it in many bikes and never had problems. However, you might as well fork over another couple bucks and run a full synthetic. Many people including myself like the Mobil 1 Racing 4t. It is pretty good stuff and can be found at just about any auto parts store and Wal Mart. That's what I've always run in my street bikes with a K&N oil filter. It seems to shift a bit smoother with the Mobil vs Yamalube.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I put Shell Rotella T6 in at 2k miles. smoother shifts were worth it to me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You can't go wrong with Yamalube or any OEM oil for that matter. OEM oils are very basic, often made by 3rd party oil manufacturers that slap a brand on it (**VOA** Yamalube 10w40 JASO MA | Used Oil Analysis - Motorcycle | Bob Is The Oil Guy)

Rotella T6 is a great, economical choice. Lots of great feedback on it, and I've run it in my crappier bikes. If money is no object, I would splurge for an application specific oil. For break-in, I'm running Motul 3000 (mineral oil) 10w40, same as my dealer uses. Sold a 2006 GSXR600 with 55K miles that ran like a clock, and Motul 3000 was it's life-blood (dealer forgot to add oil at the 600mi service and I had to turn around after 2 miles- still no problems after that).

Once the FZ-09 hits 3K miles, I've got 6 quarts of Redline 10w40 Motorcycle oil waiting... Bought it in bulk on eBay @ $10/quart, it's a California based company, so I'm supporting local. My car (2013 Genesis Coupe 2.0T) absolutely destroys motor oil with no regard for the environment and Redline really holds up to the high temp of the turbo.

HTH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,
the follwing clip on YouTube shows you, how I did an oil change on the FZ-09
(I did my very best with the English subtitles):

·
Registered
588 Posts
A full synthetic oil will give you much smoother shifting for more miles than a regular dino oil. Its up to you if you decide to go with bike specific synthetic or not but I do suggest going to synthetic! Bike specific is going to cost you more. Rotella T-6 is very reasonably priced and it is highly regarded...thats all I ever use.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
I've used Racing 4T for many years with no complaints other than the absolutely stupid price they're asking for it now. So I'll look for an alternative next time, but still full synth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts