Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is at 4995 miles. Its never been in for service since new. I have been changing the oil though, of course. My rear tire is gone, and I have some PP3s to have them install.

This is my first bike, and I am not exactly familiar with what I need to have checked out.

Here is what I have on my mind:

1: Tires
2: Perform reflash for 2015/throttle tables.
3: Check on CCT, seems pretty noisy to me.
4: Headlight Harness recall

Anything else to add? Does the drive chain need to be lub'd or tensioned?

I need to find another dealer besides where I bought the bike. The service guy there says he has never heard of any CCT issues, and that he will not do the 2015 reflash unless there is a PROBLEM with the throttle. He seems lazy to me, I would rather take it somewhere that enjoys their job or at least likes taking care of people. I checked the Yelp reviews and they are consistent with my experience, so I need to find a better service department in the Chicago area.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
throttle body sync?

Great choice on the PP3s - solid tire. I would ditch that dealer - the CCT is a known problem complete with a service bulletin and should be fixed accordingly - if left alone it can really mess up your ride.

I was told the ECU flash is at the owners request and has nothing to do with a throttle issue - or otherwise said - if you say there is an issue with the throttle and would like it reflashed - they should comply.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
When you take a bike for first service....you don't tell them what to do. Yamaha tells them what is required to fulfill the first service.
The reflash is free and the headlight recall harness is free.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well the chain should be cleaned and checked about every 600 miles. They'll check some torques and may check the throttle bodies, but typically nothing is done with them till around 12k mile mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
What CD599 said.
Also, read your owners manual. It has a service interval as a general guide.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a shop north of Chicago a bit, Lake Villa, by me that I just got my 600 mile service done at for $210. Though they said they are still waiting on the program license to flash on computer. So no help there but everything else seemed like a decent price. HOWEVER I will not be going back to them for another service, bike, parts, or gear. Yes for a big(er) dealership it was a ok price I got my bike back and i was a mess, greasy finger prints on the tank, chain lube was slung everywhere. When I addressed the guy about it he said the rim was already dirty and they don't detail bike, and the fingerprints? "With dirty ( storage dust) wheels they must be yours" last straw with them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
DO NOT HAVE THEM DO THE HEADLIGHT HARNESS

They will be splicing your wires and making a mess. Do it yourself on amazon, read up on the headlight threads, including mine. Its a disaster, and they did it before I bought the bike.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Is there an official CCT recall? I just have a home made fizzer kit and it no longer ticks at all for me.
No official recall, just s service bulletin. They replaced mine and the ticking hasn't come back with over 2k miles on the new one. There have been posts that the longer set screw can still cause the issue over time. I wouldn't fix what's not broken but I would keep an ear out for it. When it no longer self adjusts there's no turning back - time for a new one.

So, it's still got the original oil and filter in it?
The third sentence of ops note is that he's been changing the oil regularly.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Lube your chain more than once every 5k.
Clean the chain and lube it every 500 miles. It will last much longer.

I'd also ask them to lube all your cables, check electrical connections, etc. Motorcycles vibrate and things become loose on occasion.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Reactions: bryce
1 - 16 of 16 Posts