Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My front was actually low when I got it home from dealer.

I updated my air compressor as I am pretty anal with all my vehicle tire pressures...

This compressor works really well. The tank is small, but it fills quickly and effortlessly fills tires.

Also use this with it...

It was a bit tricky to air the tires up. The hose on the gauge is long for bikes and would be a lot easier if it was at a 90 degree angle. BUT, now that I know how to do it, it doesn't take long at all to hook it up. The front tire is tricky b/c I had to snake it through the rotor.

Reactions: NickJ

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cute lil' 'pressor, how loud is it? The one I have now does well for what I need but dang it's loud.

Lol, yeah, I'd be looking for a different (what is it called, an air chuck?) design.
It's about usual loudness as far as compressors go. Once you get the gauge on though, wowzers! lol. I may have to make a video of it doing its thang.

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
hopefully you're NOT running 42 psi in your tires...are you?

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Go by what the tire manufacturer says, not Yamaha. I'm thinking it should probably be more in the neighborhood of 30-31 front and around 30 rear.

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Yea, you have to go by the manufacture recommendations. My track day tires, the Michelin Power Cups.....29 - 30 cold pressure on the front and 21 - 22 cold on the rear. My ST1300 I run the Michelin Road III's and I run 41 - 42 cold pressures in both of them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't get a manual? Does your dealer know? Even Doug's seem high. Max psi for a tire is just for max loads etc.
I got the bike and keys lol. I'll get an owners manual on Monday. Lol

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All bikes have a sticker, usually on the chainguard or frame that will tell you the recommended loads and tire pressures......
Here is the sticker. It is under the seat.

Reactions: eolith

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Yea, that's Yamaha's suggestion and personally, I'd ignore it. Having said that, those pressures will work for extended highway riding/commuting, but will totally suck for getting the tire up to temperature to be able to stick real well in the twisty stuff. Everyone's riding style/needs are different and you need to set the tire pressure at what works for YOU. Higher pressures will almost always give you better mileage and longer wear, but don't get as sticky as the same tire run at a lower pressure. And, like I said, each manufacturer has recommendations for what works best for their tire.

Reactions: eolith and DNFDOUG

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah, I've read that in relation to a lot of autocrossing tips (for cars, naturally), and for long drives, I'd pump up the pressure for mileage, but for the fun stuff, and for autocrossing, lower pressures were often better, but you had to manage the temperatures to keep them in the "zone" - a difficult task when you have a 30-60s run with an hour in between runs...

Anyone have any other recommendations from their experience?

·
Registered
962 Posts
With max load of 390lbs you would want to run 36/42 - other than that it's too high. The sticker and the owners manual seem to both be messed up. They mention for below or above 198lbs with the same max psi's. I'm running 33/39 and it feels good for carrying me and my daughter (300lb load).

I use my labelmaker to put a sticker on my air gauges for each vehicle's (and each bicycle's) tires..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I use 30 on both tires. Grips great, heats up quick, and I have confidence in the corners. I may start putting up to 35 front and rear for commuting and lowering it otherwise...but I don't have a compressor and I don't mind being extra sticky on the highway.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts