Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far so good. Seat definitely needs reshaping. Love the low end torque. No leaks, weeping, or loose parts. A mode is o.k. on smooth roads you know well. I have played with shock and have decided I will upgrade when available. Front end works for me so far. Of course, my first mod was to remove federal reflector bracket for license plate and drill new holes for plate in the slot indents provided by Yamaha. I'm looking for some bar end mirrors as I'm wider than your average Japanese fella. The Akrapovic pipe is shown on their website but no suppliers have them yet. Haven't had a chain since my RF900. Does anyone have experience with the Scottoiler? Wifey says bike looks cool (especially likes blurple wheels), but says roadstar Warrior was better for passenger. This means she will probably only sit on back once. (O.K. by me, we have T-Max which she will ride on with me anytime!) I am amazed by the torque/power. Hit 8000 rpm in third gear and she started to come up gently. I'm over 200# dressed to ride so I'm impressed!!

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Nice. There are a couple of us Warrior (or ex-warrior) guys on here already, welcome to the club :) That's pretty bad if the Warrior was more comfortable for your wife, because I've never heard anyone refer to the passenger accommodations on them as comfortable, lol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Congrats and welcome. I have a Russell Day Long on my KLX. It is a great improvement over the oem seat. I think that Lucky, who posts on this forum, ordered a Laam seat. Hopefully he will give his opinion of it soon.

·
Registered
619 Posts
So far so good. Seat definitely needs reshaping. Love the low end torque. No leaks, weeping, or loose parts. A mode is o.k. on smooth roads you know well. I have played with shock and have decided I will upgrade when available. Front end works for me so far. Of course, my first mod was to remove federal reflector bracket for license plate and drill new holes for plate in the slot indents provided by Yamaha. I'm looking for some bar end mirrors as I'm wider than your average Japanese fella. The Akrapovic pipe is shown on their website but no suppliers have them yet. Haven't had a chain since my RF900. Does anyone have experience with the Scottoiler? Wifey says bike looks cool (especially likes blurple wheels), but says roadstar Warrior was better for passenger. This means she will probably only sit on back once. (O.K. by me, we have T-Max which she will ride on with me anytime!) I am amazed by the torque/power. Hit 8000 rpm in third gear and she started to come up gently. I'm over 200# dressed to ride so I'm impressed!!
I've put scottoilers on my ZRX 1100 and Husky TR 650. They're great, especially for bikes without center stands. I really like the fact that the chain stays lubed constantly, instead of periodically. If there's vacuum available, which I think the FZ has, then installation should be pretty easy. I'll put one on my FZ when I get one.

--Chris

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Overlubing a chain causes it to collect dirt, which leads to premature wear, especially the o-rings. I get the chain hot, then use Maxima Chain Wax. I used it in motocross for years with great results.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
TMAX is the only bike I have my wife will ride on. It's a blast, super low C of G for super quick transitions in the twisties.

·
Registered
768 Posts
+1 for a different seat shape. I have already contacted Sargent and Corbin and put the word out. Sargent was most responsive.
>>>
Scottoiler? I won't have a chain driven bike without one. They don't over lube the chain. It's gear oil, not sticky chain lube. Since the oiler provides a steady supply of clean oil as dirty oil is carried away by the rotating chain, the grit/gunk doesn't accumulate.
I have a Scottie on my coffee table right now awaiting installation on my 7 day old FZ-09.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I hated the seat my first 100 miles. After reminding myself to squeeze the tank with my legs more I've eased up on hating it. I can see why some would want a different one though. I'd like a flyscreen though. Also A and STD mode really do suck at stoplight speeds.

Love everything else about the bike.

·
Registered
882 Posts
TMAX is the only bike I have my wife will ride on. It's a blast, super low C of G for super quick transitions in the twisties.
If I had stayed with the maxi-scooters, a T-Max would have been close to the top of my list for purchase. I was oh! so close to buying one about two years ago.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I finished installing a Scottoiler and dual outlet oiler tip this afternoon. The outlet bracketry won't work with the FZ-09 swingarm. So, I placed the part atop the "ledge" created by the silver colored metal plate inside the left swingarm and "glued" it there with oil resistant RTV silicone sealant. Once it cured over night, the oiler is firmly in place. The trickiest bit was finding and connecting to a vacuum port. I ended up uncapping the balance port to the third cylinder (after removing the fuel tank and airbox, it was "easy". )
The oiler reservoir nestled right up inside the frame under the seat as shown.
I've only taken one short ride of < 20 miles to see if it was flowing oil (it was). I turned the flow rate down and will ride it some more tomorrow.
The nice folks at Scottoiler should have a FZ-09 to tinker with in about a week. Hopefully, they will come up with a somewhat more professional adapter, etc... Until then, my 9th Scottoiler-equipped bike and I are happy.
finished.jpg IMG_7360.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts