Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went for a short ride tonight after work and noticed this clicking when I went to pause my music at a light. It definitely just developed on this ride and I don't understand it... I have not exactly babied it but I have hardly ever taken past 8k and never to redline.

Any ideas? Glad I payed for a 4 year warranty...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So from what I'm understanding after scrolling through ten pages, I need to take it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes take it in tell them whats its doing and tell them is a known issue and make them get you a new one dont let them say its just normal or what ever and its all covered with your warranty so no worries

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes take it in tell them whats its doing and tell them is a known issue and make them get you a new one dont let them say its just normal or what ever and its all covered with your warranty so no worries
Man... What a buzzkill. Can't believe this. Great way to spend my day off. So again, from my understanding, there is an updated chain tensioner and that is what needs to be replaced and installed?

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes i got mine about 3 months ago cuz i got sick of listening to the horrible sound randomly coming and going , the new one is much better never makes noise only when i first start my bike it ticks quietly for a few seconds then its done

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i got mine about 3 months ago cuz i got sick of listening to the horrible sound randomly coming and going , the new one is much better never makes noise only when i first start my bike it ticks quietly for a few seconds then its done
Ok cool. Looks like I'm heading to ridenow on Sunday to drop it off because I can't even enjoy riding it right now because of the noise. Too bad their service department is closed until Tuesday every week.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Man... What a buzzkill. Can't believe this. Great way to spend my day off. So again, from my understanding, there is an updated chain tensioner and that is what needs to be replaced and installed?
and i just realized your in az haha once you get that thing replace we should go for a ride before it gets hotter then hell out here

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ok cool. Looks like I'm heading to ridenow on Sunday to drop it off because I can't even enjoy riding it right now because of the noise. Too bad their service department is closed until Tuesday every week.
i know when my bike would make that noise i hated riding my bike that noise alone made me not want to ride it haha

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and i just realized your in az haha once you get that thing replace we should go for a ride before it gets hotter then hell out here
Yessir. Down in good old Tucson. Definitely down to meet up too. Always good to ride with people and meet new faces.

i know when my bike would make that noise i hated riding my bike that noise alone made me not want to ride it haha
Yep, I noticed it tonight for the first time at idle and then realized I was also getting it about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the rev range. I just hope it's not a lengthy fix because I have grown accustomed to being able to ride home after work and enjoy my purchase.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yessir. Down in good old Tucson. Definitely down to meet up too. Always good to ride with people and meet new faces.

Yep, I noticed it tonight for the first time at idle and then realized I was also getting it about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the rev range. I just hope it's not a lengthy fix because I have grown accustomed to being able to ride home after work and enjoy my purchase.
once they get the part it shouldnt take them more then a hour to put it on and if your worried about the bike and want to ride it you can it wont harm anything to ride it. or you can do that trick with the set screw

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
once they get the part it shouldnt take them more then a hour to put it on and if your worried about the bike and want to ride it you can it wont harm anything to ride it. or you can do that trick with the set screw
Yea I need to figure out the set screw trick I'm just concerned with how much to tighten it. It seems like there is no exact science to it and I would need to figure out the exact bolts to get.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would if I was up in Mesa haha. I guess I have an in when Ridenow Ina tells me it's normal. Hope you're able to back me up lol!

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is another member on here he did A diy write up how to fix it urself.. I did it and it worked perfect.
The bolt head u see on the cam chain tensioner is actually a plug.. take it out and adjust the Allen set screw that's inside (4mm Allen if I remember right) 1/4turn tighter.. no more. And put a longer bolt in place of the plug (one that hits the Allen and keeps it from backing out) with a jam nut on it so it won't loosen as well

·
Registered
644 Posts
The new tensioners are on back order, expect a long delay.
I may be doing the bolt thing this weekend. The trick is to not over tighten the adjuster.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What tools are needed?

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
3mm Allen wrench for the adjuster.

With the bike idling, you will feel vibes coming through the adjuster, as you turn it, you will feel those vibes disappear pretty quickly. Lock it there with a finger tight set screw, the set screw will turn the adjuster, so only finger tight, then tighten the lock nut.

If after another ride, it still sounds a bit ticky, give it 1/8-1/4 turn more.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts