Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 16 MT09, bone stock, and I am aware of how to wheelie. I have seen videos of people wheeling an MT 09 on third gear, sometimes even a power wheelie. But with my MT although 2nd gear clutch ups are very easy, I'm just not able to get it up on 3rd gear even if I redline it during clutch up in A mode. Is it something to do with it being the first gen or do I need to service it fully?

Any help of guys who have experienced this or have first gen MT09 would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
358 Posts
With Stock gearing for 3rd gear you have to find the right rpm somewhere between 6-7000 rpm if I remember correctly and let off the throttle to preload the suspension and snap it back full ... I never fully mastered it myself though .

Now that I’ve dropped 1t on my front sprocket it comes up in 3rd with absolute ease in 1-2-3 and I haven’t rlly lost much off the top end . I can still hit go to jail speeds x2 lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With Stock gearing for 3rd gear you have to find the right rpm somewhere between 6-7000 rpm if I remember correctly and let off the throttle to preload the suspension and snap it back full ... I never fully mastered it myself though .

Now that I’ve dropped 1t on my front sprocket it comes up in 3rd with absolute ease in 1-2-3 and I haven’t rlly lost much off the top end . I can still hit go to jail speeds x2 lol
Sounds like you are talking about power wheelies. That means clutch ups would have been easy on third for you, right?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about power wheelies. That means clutch ups would have been easy on third for you, right?
Ah ... I never did many clutch up wheelies cause I’ve heard these bikes clutches don’t like abuse . I’ve done a few though an in my experience it’s around the same rpm . I usually had a 50/50 shot of them working but I’m far from an expert I’m sure others have no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
CW knows! He has five or six broken baskets sitting on a shelf in his workshop but then ya gotta remember he has something like 160K on his 09.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah ... I never did many clutch up wheelies cause I’ve heard these bikes clutches don’t like abuse . I’ve done a few though an in my experience it’s around the same rpm . I usually had a 50/50 shot of them working but I’m far from an expert I’m sure others have no problem.
😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
I do clutch up in third most of the time, its easier to control IMO. 2nd gear is to touchy and agressive.
No problem to pull it up in third gear without the clutch, just a thug backwards and youre front wheel lifts.

I also manged to clutch it up in 4th but it feels like hard work for the motor haha.

Clutch up is 90% techniqe , it needs a lot of practice to do it right.
I started doing wheelies and learning on my kawasaki er6.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a nice power third gear wheelie today coming back from the cigar shop, but I have to admit there was a little hump in the road that helped. These 71 year old reflexes aren't what they use to be so I didn't push it too far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m guessing due to your laughing you must be the local professional 3rd gear clutch up master of the eighth dragon 🐉 🙂
I’m guessing due to your laughing you must be the local professional 3rd gear clutch up master of the eighth dragon 🐉 🙂
nah...this lmaooo
Ah ... I never did many clutch up wheelies cause I’ve heard these bikes clutches don’t like abuse . I’ve done a few though an in my experience it’s around the same rpm . I usually had a 50/50 shot of them working
Not sure why it was so tickling lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been clutching up my 2015 Fz09 in 1st since I bought it in 2015 and not had any problems with the clutch or basket. Bike now has 4800 miles and been clutched up literally thousands of times. This past summer I went down 2 and up 2 on the gearing as I am working on my slow wheelies and its working great! I clutch up, catch it with the footbrake, and go back and forth between the two.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts