Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Beat me to it Bobby..........a re-flash should do the trick for sure.

·
Registered
663 Posts
The boys at Cycle World seem to like the FZ-09. Bikes that are more practical, seem to be leading the way these days. The 132 mph limiter isn't a big deal to me. My old 750 tops out at about a buck ten, so 132 would seem crazy fast to me.

I guess time will tell what tweaks Yamaha decides to make with this bike.

W

·
0 Posts
Someone please tell me this limiter is easily removed.
I have a 2013 CB1100 Honda. It is limited to 112 mph. The limiter cannot be defeated unless a wheel-speed sensor is disconnected, disabling the speedometer and ABS if you have it (disconnecting the speedo is illegal but then what isn't?). It's baked into the ECU software. No one has found a way around it since 2007 when the bike came out. Power Commander makes no difference. Since the Nine has no ABS, it may be picking up speed from the transmission or crankshaft. Personally I wouldn't wanna go more than 132 mph on the FZ9. That is "lose your license" speed. Seems like it might be fun in the twisties once the suspension is upgraded. What I do find ironic is here riders were complaining not long ago about a lack of great middleweights and the Triumph is a great example of that class; now the motojournos are saying the Triumph is faulted because it's not "big" enough? WTF? It makes almost 100 HP at the rear wheel and weighs about 400 pounds. That's a strange observation.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I have a 2013 CB1100 Honda. It is limited to 112 mph. The limiter cannot be defeated unless a wheel-speed sensor is disconnected, disabling the speedometer and ABS if you have it (disconnecting the speedo is illegal but then what isn't?). It's baked into the ECU software. No one has found a way around it since 2007 when the bike came out.
honda ecu's have been notoriously difficult to hack. flash-tune doesn't do hondas and ecu unleashed will only do current generation 600 and 1000rr's.

yamaha ecu's have traditionally been a piece of cake. i'd be surprised if the 09's were any different.

W

·
0 Posts
Yamaha has said this bike is not for max speed but for real-world riding. With the stock suspension the limiter is probably a good thing. There are so many other bikes one can get right off the showroom floor that will haul ass. The FZ9 has a character all its own and it's definitely not about top speed. Yeah, my GSX-R 750 will do 167 mph (the magazines say so but I won't ever see it) but the FZ9 will stomp it in roll-on contests, gear for gear. And it is a lot easier to loft the front end on the FZ9, I'm pretty sure, if that's what one is into. However the ECU flash might be cool if it smooths out the oft-reported "switchy" YCC-t. 132 mph sitting bolt upright? Not for me.:cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wouldn't be riding with anybody that has an issue with a 132MPH limit. ONLY bad can/will happen! You will lose your life or your license.

Maybe I'm just to old for you FZ09 riders......

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My CBR954RR with a Speedo Healer hit 169 mph, and I have to say that I hit triple digits rapidly on many occasions, but I have the luxury of tucking under the fairing. The vibration at those speeds does blur my vision. I hit 130 more times than I can count on my antiquated 1982 Kawasaki GPz750, and I was almost naked in the wind. I will want to remove the limiter on the FZ for sure. You stand just as much of a chance of losing your license cracking wheelies as you do going fast. I am buying the FZ for the motor, which I want to utilize.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldn't be riding with anybody that has an issue with a 132MPH limit. ONLY bad can/will happen! You will lose your life or your license.

Maybe I'm just to old for you FZ09 riders......
Sure Paul, there's a few speed demons on here, but I seriously doubt the majority will be taking a naked bike to the limiter. The wind buffeting at those speeds is a bit on the uncomfortable side.

Check out the break down of ages in the "how old are we thread." It really surprised me. I'll be 51 in three days, and I'm in the middle of the pack. The FZ-09 seems to hold a wide range of appeal. My criteria for a new bike are comfort, looks, reliability, and mileage. Just about in that order. Speed didn't really factor in at all for me.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts