Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm a real newbie. I just bought my new FZ at the Toronto Motorcycle Show. I take delivery in a week and a half and won't be able to ride for at least a month (it's negetive 25 degrees celcius here today). I was deciding between the FZ and a CBR600RR. I was thinking I was getting to old for the aggresive postion on the CBR and didn't really need the racetrack handling. I went for the FZ based on all the magazine reviews. Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision. Man, there are a lot of issues with the FZ I'm reading on this forum. Somebody PLEASE tell me I made a good decision and bought a great motorcycle. I'm so nervous now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Issues?
Look, for the price, we nit pick this thing apart. This is the most fun street bike I have ridden.
Depending on your size, skill, and intended use/purpose, I don't think you can beat it for the money.
Sure there are a few improvements that make it better for some of us, others love it as is.
After my suspension upgrade, I can't think of a bike that I would give mine up for.

Reactions: RichBaker

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Tell us about your "newbieness" and what you mean by it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry All! I'm a newbie to the FZ-09. I've been riding for 35 years. I just sold my 2006 Hayabusa. Got that out of my system over one summer. It's not the bike for me. Too heavy, lumbering, and too aggressive a riding position, but ungodly fast. I was just looking for trouble. I had a little sabbatical from riding, due to a large speeding ticket that I eventually got off, but the wife put her foot down. That bike was a 2000 Ninja ZX-9, my absolute favorite of 10 bikes I've owned over my years including FJ1100, FJ1200, GS1100, Katana 750, CBF900, etc. The bike will be used as a daily commuter to work, running errands, and the frequent evening and weekend hour long blitz. It seemed actually ideal for that and a heck of a lot of fun. I'm just now concerned with the rattles, knocks, cam chain, ticks, etc etc etc. All opinions will be very welcome. I could use a little reassuring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Brian-2,
Can I ask the details of your suspension upgrade, or is this posted in another forum section already? Thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi Brian-2,
Can I ask the details of your suspension upgrade, or is this posted in another forum section already? Thanks!
Sure! Check out Stoltec Moto's section here on the forum. My bike is turning into a billboard for 'ol Nick! I have his ecu flash,rear shock (tuned Penske), and fork cartridges (G.P. Suspension).
I'm 230 in gear and the bike was just too soft for me in stock form.

He owns a 09 and has spent countless hours doing R and D on this unit. He is also great to do business with!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Cam chain tensioner and California emissions (flooded starts when warm) are the only two problems I have had to deal with. I ride it every day with the exception of the occasional rainy day here.
The suspension is akin to pasta al dente. Pretty soft. Liveable if you're doing the type of riding you describe and the suspension settings are cranked up. Fantastic for blasting down to the store and short work commutes. If you're riding hard in the mountains or track, you'll probably want better suspension. I want better suspension. I could only afford to swap the front springs & oil so far and that was a nice improvement. I can't spend $600-$1200 on a rear shock. Maybe once the bike is paid off, but not now.

I've already done the hard part with regards to the tensioner. You have a couple of choices: 1. Have the dealer warranty the part with the one that actually fixes the issue (if yours actually does have a problem) 2. install the set screw/jam nut fix like I documented in the "I got a tick" thread. I've met probably 10 people who have the bike and it works perfectly fine, no rattle... so it's not a for sure thing that you're getting one with the wonky tensioner.

No California emissions on yours so forget about hard starts. There's a fix for that anyway.

If I were you I'd me more worried about getting a wheelie ticket! You'll like the bike, it's a blast.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sorry All! I'm a newbie to the FZ-09. I've been riding for 35 years. I just sold my 2006 Hayabusa. Got that out of my system over one summer. It's not the bike for me. Too heavy, lumbering, and too aggressive a riding position, but ungodly fast. I was just looking for trouble. I had a little sabbatical from riding, due to a large speeding ticket that I eventually got off, but the wife put her foot down. That bike was a 2000 Ninja ZX-9, my absolute favorite of 10 bikes I've owned over my years including FJ1100, FJ1200, GS1100, Katana 750, CBF900, etc. The bike will be used as a daily commuter to work, running errands, and the frequent evening and weekend hour long blitz. It seemed actually ideal for that and a heck of a lot of fun. I'm just now concerned with the rattles, knocks, cam chain, ticks, etc etc etc. All opinions will be very welcome. I could use a little reassuring.
After reading that ^, it sounds like the FZ-09 is the bike for you. People get on here and any other forum and whine and complain just about everything. I'm not saying some concerns here aren't legit but many are just trivial. It's a fine bike and I have absolutely no complaints other that the speed limiter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll wait and see on a lot of it then. Can I live with the suspension, do I get the cam chain tick, and I shouldn't get the hard warm starts. I'm not concerned about the speed limiter. It will be fast enough for me. I never came close to challenging the Busa. Since that Ninja ticket, I've become soooo scared of cops. Had I been convicted, that one would have really been a life changer. When the officer handed me the ticket, she said "btw, your license is going to be suspended and you'll never get insurance again as long as you live". Long story how that ticket was beat, but some other time. Thanks again all. Can't wait for riding season. WhoooHoooooo! Oh, and I've always been scared of wheelies. Maybe I can learn on the FZ.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Any bike forum has people posting issues. It's typically a very small percentage unless it's a ducati forum :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Fwiw...I do not have the cam chain issue...my motor is butter smooth. Ride it a while and change things at your own pace...the FZ is wonderful bone stock, even better with mods

·
Registered
730 Posts
Rode a 90 FJ12 for 20 years.... The FZ is an EXTREMELY worthy successor!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You;ll never buy a bike that wont have "issues" On the forums, people live with these bikes for years and always find ways of improving them. Dont let that appear to be issues. So do the factories. Thats why you find second generations, third generations, etc. Yamaha coudl have made a fz-0 with incredible suspension. They've done it with other bikes. But, would you be ok to pay 12,500 for the Ohlins version with Brembo brakes? Oh, and we'd find ways of improving that one as well.

Try the Honda CBR 600 forum and you'll see it does too. Not to mention its pretty much a 2009 bike.....or older.

I mean, whats the hottest sport bike right now, if not for all time. Probably the BMW s1000rr? Go to that forum and you'll see issues.

I bought a Honda snowblower. 637.00 dollars. Went to the snowblower forum. Guess what..it has issues. Easily solved, but it too has issues. Needs a lean carb jet....ok, I'll get right on that.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Welcome and grats on your order!

Just ride it. You'll be quite happy with it. As folks say, there are issues with everything, and mostly people like to talk about what's wrong with something, not so much what's right with it.

In the meantime, here's hoping I get good weather before you do, so I can bring my 2nd one home! Wind chill was below 0 F this morning...

·
Registered
186 Posts
The suspension bounces like a car with bad struts through a corner. Very confidence despiring

Other than that great bike, I am actually opting on more aggressive bars with the suspension.

Oh, and you will become addicted to power wheelies, but newbie heed my warning and set it to B mode for a while. A mode might put you on your butt if you arnt careful.

So much torque, so much....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Most fun motorcycle I've ever rode. No problems after 1700 miles, would have a lot more miles but its been cold that last month.
Haven't had any tics from the engine. Suspension is ok for someone my size '170 lbs.' Maybe its just me but I couldn't be any happier with my decision.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts