Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much as I have tried to find the answer on the internet, I can't. Also my Yamaha dealer does not know anything more than it's a new feature to sell the bike.
Anyone here have the knowledge on the new traction control?:confused:

• Is it just a software update? New sensors? new ECU hardware?
  • Can a pre 2016 bike be upgraded to added TC? How? How much?
  • How does it work - e.g. front & rear wheel spinning and differential sensing to change inigition/fuelling?

·
Registered
99 Posts
You would have to compare the parts diagrams between the two to tell what has changed.
I do believe there is a different ECU used, as well as various sensors.

I'm sure you could add TC to a bike that didnt have it before but the cost would not be worth while unless you had one that was scrapped you could use for parts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sorry mate, this is the best I can find:-
Yamaha releases 2016 MT-09, adds traction control to its ABS | Responsejp (Motorcycles / cars )
"The MT-09A that has an anti-lock braking system (ABS) has adopted a new traction control system (TCS). When detecting the spinning of the rear wheel during departure or acceleration, it controls both the fuel injection quantity and the throttle valve aperture during ignition, supporting a smooth departure and running performance."

P.S. I have a 2015 ABS and find it has plenty of grip, once the suspension has been sorted anyway - I only ride on the road, but have never felt the need for TC on this bike.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think this is a regional market question...

I've got a 2016 (U.S.) bike and it doesn't have TC or ABS. To be best of my knowledge, they weren't even options available when I bought mine.

On a side note, I was in the dealership the other day picking up parts and they had the new grey/neon-yellow color combination on the floor. It looked good!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think this is a regional market question...

I've got a 2016 (U.S.) bike and it doesn't have TC or ABS. To be best of my knowledge, they weren't even options available when I bought mine.

On a side note, I was in the dealership the other day picking up parts and they had the new grey/neon-yellow color combination on the floor. It looked good!
In North America there is no TC/ABS/Slipper Clutch on the FZ-09 of any year. It was only offered in Europe from the information I have. Which is unfortunate as I really like the FZ-09 but want the extra barriers as I use the bike often in the rain and with people who can not operate there cages very well.

After comparing the diagrams of the MT-09 with those and without there is a significant number of changes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
And Aus, don't forget us.
So apparently, MT09's get the option, but not FZ09's.
That'll teach you lot to change the name of a bike.
The MT-09 is also offered in a few different trim levels as well. I wish they were the same here, if they were I would have been looking at the FZ-09 over the XSR for myself.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
You can buy most of the street rally and street tracker parts from ebay germany.
Apparently Yamaha US thinks you are all afraid of change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can buy most of the street rally and street tracker parts from ebay germany.
Apparently Yamaha US thinks you are all afraid of change.
Indeed. I think there idea was to keep the cost down on the FZ-09 and increase the sales with just a single model as the ones with ABS/TC would sell fewer and skew there sales figures.....because at the end of the day the mighty dollar rules all.

·
Registered
390 Posts
While on the subject what does your 'FZ' actually stand for? I know that 'MT' stands for 'Maximum Torque'

Sent from my iPhone 

·
Registered
99 Posts
While on the subject what does your 'FZ' actually stand for? I know that 'MT' stands for 'Maximum Torque'

Sent from my iPhone 
FZ was formerly known as the Fazer lines of bikes. Then they went to the FZ series as the name was not doing so well over here. Naked bikes period did not do so well until recently when they started to take off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm not sure what it stands for, but I bet the F is for Four Stroke. FZ = 4 stroke, TZ = 2 stroke
The FZ label dates back to the 1980s (eg, FZ750), long before the Fazer existed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In North America there is no TC/ABS/Slipper Clutch on the FZ-09 of any year. It was only offered in Europe from the information I have. Which is unfortunate as I really like the FZ-09 but want the extra barriers as I use the bike often in the rain and with people who can not operate there cages very well.
That's a shame - can't think why US wouldn't get these unless Yam thinks it's a VERY Price sensitive market. That theory is also suggested in that we don't get the cost reduced YZF-R1S version over here in UK, maybe not across Europe. Do they think us Euros are made of money :confused:

Looks like I'll not be adding TC to my '15 bike then...

·
Registered
7 Posts
None of these comments answer there ops original question imo... can you get actually TCS for a 2015 or below mt09. None of us care if it’s has abs or anything else. The question is is it possible / how ... to add TRACTION CONTROL.
I just bought an mt09 thinking tcs was a standard thing and was horrified upon gazing left to where the tcs switch should be and finding a blocked off hole

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having a blocked off position for a traction control switch suggests putting it in might be possible, unless they manufactured the 2015 model already with plans to have tcs on it but couldn’t be bothered to make different parts... I’d wager it’s because putting it in is still possible

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
My '14 has traction control. It's the twisty thing on the right side of the bars. Works really well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts