Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am looking frame protection for my 2021. I cannot find any info on if some of the 2020 kits will fit the 21 or not.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts
I contacted these guys and they said it's the same fit.

That said i have my doubts as it's a new frame isn't it.
I would be a little leery. The '21 is indeed an all new frame - though the engine cases and mounting bolts may be very similar, so technically the same sliders could work. But I would wait until I see more info.

Also, I find it odd that the ones you list above say they fit "2017-2021". Anything that fits 17-20 should also fit 14-16, so it's weird that they put it that way...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm waiting to see what more reputable brands like R&G and SW-Motec come out with first. They're usually pretty fast to get to market and I trust them over no-name eBay stuff. They're more expensive, sure, but I've found you generally get what you pay for especially when it comes to the raw materials used in the products. Of course there's some added "name brand tax", too...

Looks like SW-Motec is showing that parts from previous MT's will fit: SW-MOTECH USA Shop - high-quality motorcycle accessories (protection category).

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'm waiting to see what more reputable brands like R&G and SW-Motec come out with first. They're usually pretty fast to get to market and I trust them over no-name eBay stuff. They're more expensive, sure, but I've found you generally get what you pay for especially when it comes to the raw materials used in the products. Of course there's some added "name brand tax", too...

Looks like SW-Motec is showing that parts from previous MT's will fit: SW-MOTECH USA Shop - high-quality motorcycle accessories (protection category).
See, more weirdness. SW Motech has parts that they say fit “16-21”... Really, though? Why wouldn’t these parts fit 14-15, then? And things like engine guards and chin spoilers. How are they the same, when the 21 has a completely different exhaust pipe?

I think I would definitely call a company and talk to someone in person who can guarantee me parts will fit before I trust a web page that may have been programmed to simply change the model year numbers.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Looks like maybe if you want the single-spool slider that goes into the forward engine mount, they could possibly use the same ones. But there are others that bridge the forward and rear mounts on the cylinder, and obviously those won’t work on a ‘21.

The good news is, it looks like there’s a new mount behind the clutch this year, so that may be a good place for a slider...

·
Registered
22 Posts
See, more weirdness. SW Motech has parts that they say fit “16-21”... Really, though? Why wouldn’t these parts fit 14-15, then? And things like engine guards and chin spoilers. How are they the same, when the 21 has a completely different exhaust pipe?

I think I would definitely call a company and talk to someone in person who can guarantee me parts will fit before I trust a web page that may have been programmed to simply change the model year numbers.
I emailed SW Motech directly a few days ago and got a reply this morning. They say they haven't got the 21 model in their workshop yet so can't say 100% if previous protection will work although the set up looks similar to the previous generation forward facing guards.

They also confirmed to me that that their previous soft bag pannier set up won't work with this model due to new footpeg configuration :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
I contacted these guys and they said it's the same fit.

That said i have my doubts as it's a new frame isn't it.
I bought that same kit from that same Lithuanian vendor for my 2020 model.
I'm quite happy with it. I can't say if it will fit the 21 model though.
If you want to compare mounts etc we could meet up somewhere in the south dublin, north wicklow area.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought that same kit from that same Lithuanian vendor for my 2020 model.
I'm quite happy with it. I can't say if it will fit the 21 model though.
If you want to compare mounts etc we could meet up somewhere in the south dublin, north wicklow area.
Very decent of you pal. I'll have to wait until i get the bike first as i put the deposit down and due to problems on Yamaha's end the dealer hasn't received it yet. I'm hoping i get it before the end of this month. I like to have crash protection straight on the machine especially with a wheelie monster like the Mt09 (y)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very decent of you pal. I'll have to wait until i get the bike first as i put the deposit down and due to problems on Yamaha's end the dealer hasn't received it yet. I'm hoping i get it before the end of this month. I like to have crash protection straight on the machine especially with a wheelie monster like the Mt09 (y)
No bother at all.
I haven't popped any unintentional wheelies yet but then again I haven't hammered it yet either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bike due to be collected next week fingers crossed. Done some digging and im thinking the 2020 and earlier model crash protection will work on the 2021. Here's two diagrams of both models frame with part number 90110-10043-00 used on both to connect frame and engine so im pretty sure those forward facing crash posts will be good to go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Bike due to be collected next week fingers crossed. Done some digging and im thinking the 2020 and earlier model crash protection will work on the 2021. Here's two diagrams of both models frame with part number 90110-10043-00 used on both to connect frame and engine so im pretty sure those forward facing crash posts will be good to go.

I'd be very surprised if it didn't fit given that its the same part number for both bolts.
It's an m10 fine thread.
It only just cleared the plastic radiator cover though.

I'd say you can't wait for it to come I'm. What bike shop are you dealing with?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you closely at the parts catalogue for the ‘21 model, it uses a different bolt on the right side of the bike than the left. The left bolt is the same as the previous gen, but the right is different. The frame has a deeper cavity on the right side meaning that the new sliders will have to accommodate that.

Long story short, it would appear that the 2020 Slider’s will work, but only on the left side… But hey! At least you’ll have a spare 😂

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd be very surprised if it didn't fit given that its the same part number for both bolts.
It's an m10 fine thread.
It only just cleared the plastic radiator cover though.

I'd say you can't wait for it to come I'm. What bike shop are you dealing with?
Opps sorry only seeing this now. Megabikes. Have the bike two weeks now and have fitted previous gens crash protection all round frame and axles and all good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Excuse me guys and gals i forget to attach a few pics of the frame and axle sliders. As stated they fit right straight on and are exactly the same as the pre 21 model. Very solid construction and half the price of more mainstream distributors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I like the look of the MSliders. Less than 100 euros (~$122 USD) shipped to the US for both frame and axel sliders. Not bad at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts