Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impaktech is building a crashcage and subcage for our 2021 MT09. I lent them my bike for R&D. Impaktechusa.com if interested. I also reached out to TOCE Performance. They told me they should be getting us an Exhaust option also. Soon.

Also just read about yamaha MSRP has gone up due to production issues. Also another person said their SP was flat out canceled. No more will be arriving for this year. Not sure if how accurate that one is tho.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Oh man; hope those rumors are not true. Guess we'll find out soon enough. I don't understand why the US hasn't received any SPs; we're always last to get everything. Ha ha. I really prefer to get an SP over an 890R, and it's about 2 grand cheaper (once fitted with cruise and tech pack), so hope I can find one by the end of July. Knowing this rumor now, if I could find one tomorrow, I'd buy it immediately, even if it sits for a month or two in my garage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also just read about yamaha MSRP has gone up due to production issues. Also another person said their SP was flat out canceled. No more will be arriving for this year. Not sure if how accurate that one is tho.
I can confirm that the dealership I ordered my SP through had Yamaha refund the deposits on both that they ordered. They were told by Yamaha that that’s it; no more SP’s for Canada in 2021 that haven’t already been shipped. Again, not sure how legitimate that is, but they really had no reason to make it up, and they went above and beyond in sourcing me one from another dealer locally.

I picked it up yesterday and got the exact same vibes from them

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got my suspension tuned today and was speaking to the guy who has worked with akra and some racing teams for a while.

Akra is the only pipe out right now out and doesn’t need a ecu flash because they built the bike around the stock ecu map even with the cat removed.

He said unless other pipes do the same type workflow and design, until we know how to crack Euro 5, any other pipe will just run super lean.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is 'no' - there is a global shortage of micro chips, including those used frequently in automotive industry. All the major car makers have 100,000's of cars that they can't finish, and I see no reason why those same chips wouldn't be used in Motorcycle ECU's, displays, ABS, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
But that'd affect ALL bikes, not just the SPs... unless Yamaha is not shipping any MT-09s at all, which I haven't heard. Might be something else unique to the SPs, like production issues with Ohlins, maybe? Hopefully we'll hear more soon.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
962 Posts
It could have to do with t he 'order' of production too - perhaps they did a large run of 'standard' MT09's and then started producing the SP version from the same line/factory.

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well so SP models did reach the US. Because I have one. Southern California received their first shipment in April. Then their second shipment arrived with the SP. Someone else lost out because they didn't put any $ down. I jumped on it when I heard it was there. I was going to get the standard Blue but got tired of waiting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone living in Australia (specifically Eastern side) and have recent news re their SP orders? Still expecting sometime this month (June)

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts
Someone else lost out because they didn't put any $ down. I jumped on it when I heard it was there.
Sometimes, being bold and taking a chance brings rewards. Congrats on your new SP...

✊😎 🏍💨

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well so SP models did reach the US. Because I have one.
Well, good for you :). But the question now is how many were delivered? First time I hear of one in the US. I live right in the middle of both coasts, and nobody around is getting one. Oh well. Hey, may ask you if your SP has a chip (immobilizer) in the key? I really hope it doesn't. The MT-10 SP had it, but my regular MT-10 didn't, fortunately. Lots of stranded KTM 890R owners due to that crap, that stops recognizing your freaking key whenever they feel like it. Ha ha. Thanks man, and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
PERFECT! I remember the MT-10 SP in Europe having the chip key. Now I just have to get my hands on one. Ha ha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well so SP models did reach the US. Because I have one. Southern California received their first shipment in April. Then their second shipment arrived with the SP. Someone else lost out because they didn't put any $ down. I jumped on it when I heard it was there. I was going to get the standard Blue but got tired of waiting.
Same thing basically happened to me, I had a deposit down on the black MT-09 and the SP came in early so I picked up that one instead.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts