• Crashcage

• Frame sliders

• Neither, me & my bike are invincible

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
21 MT09 Crashcage & Subcages now available from impaktechusa.com

I'm a little serious about protecting my investment and I'm a daily rider dodging death everyday on southern California freeways/hwys.

My bike in pictures. I'm now just waiting for the cage to be powder coated. On the video I talk about why I picked a crashcage over frame sliders and the company I chose to get them from.
ht

Attachments

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one in the picture is spot welded. Pretty obvious I thought that it isn't close to the finished product. Not everyone is familiar with crashcages or how they are built. Fair enough.

I'll trigger the boomers more when it's finished and update the thread with pictures 馃き

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
The one in the picture is spot welded. Pretty obvious I thought that it isn't close to the finished product. Not everyone is familiar with crashcages or how they are built. Fair enough.

I'll trigger the boomers more when it's finished and update the thread with pictures 馃き
Trust me, I know that's not the finished product on the crash cage. Anyone can see the spot welds barely holding it together. Just like anyone can see all the scratches on your left engine cover and the toe piece of the shift pedal. That stuff is pretty obvious.

It's fully possible that it will look "better" once it's done but, I'm not sure if it's ever going to look decent. If that makes sense 馃き

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sad story about them scratches. And part of the reason I started looking for protection. Long story short. I let a friend test ride the bike/moto on day 2 of ownership. A simple slow turn drop created those scratches & more you didn't catch.
No big deal. My bikes are to be rode. Not sit pretty in a garage. It will be dropped again or unfortunately crashed as i'm a daily rider/commuter. The thing I liked most about my old VSTAR1100 was knowing that in the event of a collision with a car, that bike at over 600lb was going to fck up their car. Even my Speed Triple would have left a hefty dent. Is it wrong I think that way.. I wonder. I'm not so concerned about the damage to me but the damage to my bike. Anyway. I see what happens to some modern bikes like this MT-09 in a collision. All that is left is a bent frame & plastic parts shattered into a million pieces. I reiterate. I'm a daily commuter. All my travel is done on my Motorcycles. Thus my "investment".
Cheers!

Registered
2016 xsr 900
IMHO the front cage doesn't look too bad - very similar to the Higdonion cages for the first GEN FZ/MT/XSR. It would look better if the 'top' tube were dropped in the back, or raised in front, so that it better replicated the angle of the frame. I don't care for the look of the rear parts - they don't really 'match' the front cage or the look of the bike with all the blocky parts. The contrast is not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. I'm sure both will provide drop and impact protection to help with the minor bangs and scuffs of daily use.

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The subcage im only keeping on until I get the crashcage. Maybe. It might not be necessary. They had to redesign the crashcage around the riders position. First rough draft they did was hitting riders knees & in event of a crash, they don't want the bike hurting the rider further.
馃槉鈽

Registered
My bike in pictures. I'm now just waiting for the cage to be powder coated. On the video I talk about why I picked a crashcage over frame sliders and the company I chose to get them from.
We are waiting for pics of the final result.
For some reason, the ImpakTech website does not have a subcage selection for MT-09 2021. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔
Have you checked Crashcage & Subcages on the websites of alternative manufacturers? 馃

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For some reason, the ImpakTech website does not have a subcage selection for MT-09 2021. 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔
Have you checked Crashcage & Subcages on the websites of alternative manufacturers? 馃
That is odd because I literally just saw Impaktech make a post on here about their cage but now can't find it. Also I reached out to my contact their this morning and he said yes. It's now available on their website. Not sure about pictures because it seems they use stock photos. And mine is the first one. As for other companies I did reach out to that Slovenian company but they just told me No. The have nothing for 2021 MT09 and left it at that.

Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the one they built and is on my bike is the
Adjustable Subcage

And I imagine they'll update the picture for the Crash cage one when mine is complete. Because the one on the website definitely isn't the right design picture.

Registered
Since, we haven't had an update for 20+ days... Here's the video of the engine guards they actually chose instead of the stunt cage. Skip through to about 1:00 min in.
Just put down a deposit today for a 2021 SP. What company makes that windshield/wind diffuser? i really cleans up the front of it in my opinion :) Just putting together a list of mods at the moment and I like the look of that one. any caveats with it so far?

Registered
Just put down a deposit today for a 2021 SP. What company makes that windshield/wind diffuser? i really cleans up the front of it in my opinion :) Just putting together a list of mods at the moment and I like the look of that one. any caveats with it so far?

I have this screen on my bike, and although it looks absolutely amazing, it doesn't do as much as I would have hoped for wind blocking. If it was a little taller, it would have been perfect.

Registered
Suggestions, please, on sliders as protection for my 2021 MT 09 SP. I'm thinking frame and spool. Concerned about fitment since the bike has a new frame. :)More interested in protecting against an accidental tip over than major crash protection. Thanks in advance, everyone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts