Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This article on mineral vs. synth makes for a quick and entertaining read.

Ask Kevin: Should I Use Motorcycle Synthetic Oil or Petroleum?

Its probably a good article, but I wont read it..I dont say this to be rude, I say this because over the years I have read thousands of articles both for and against the use of synthetic oil....
With that being said, I use synthetic oil, and I will continue to use synthetic oil.... Its in all of my cars, and all of my bikes.....hell, its even in my lawn mower..........I also start using synthetic at the first oil change...in the case of the FZ, that was 250 miles.....

·
Super Moderator
4,134 Posts
Its probably a good article, but I wont read it..I dont say this to be rude
Your reply did not come off as rude.I understand what you are saying. I too, have used synthetic oils in the past.

I respect Kevin Cameron as an engineering authority and found his comments regarding "additive packages" new food for thought.
With less than 2500 miles on my FZ, I have not yet thought about when or whether I will change over to synthetic.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think if you use a motorcycle specific oil of almost any brand that meets the specs recommended by mfg. and you change it regularly you will never have an oil related engine failure. Having said that, I prefer a synthetic for the reasons the mfg. claims it's better than dino oil, higher flash point, lower pour point etc. Most my bikes manuals call for a 10w-40 up to around 90*F (if I remember correctly) and 20w-50 beyond, some just 10w-40 but I run 20w-50 in everything year round even in the snow in the Sierras when I get a chance, I just make sure the bike is warmed up before blasting off.

I really can't say that I've been able to actually tell the difference between the 10w-40 or 20w-50 in my bikes performance but the original poster said his bike ran cooler, shifted better and ran quieter, if this is truly the case then I see no reason to go back to hotter, noisier and worse shifting, it wouldn't matter to me one bit what any one said on a forum either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just did my my fourth oil change at 3200km, and switched to full synthetic 20w50 Lucas high performance synthetic oil.

Now, I'm sure some members are going to jump on me for this, and tell me I shouldn't use this grade of oil. But I've thought this out.

My main reason is engine temp. This bike gets hot, and 20w50 does a better job of keeping things cool. The only downside is I have to let the bike warm up every time ....which for me is no big deal because I always let it run for 5min before riding (within reason...if I park the bike for 15min I'm not worried about jumping on and riding right away).

So, most times when I hear oil makes a difference on the way a bike runs - I call bs. Most of the time the difference is subtle..and questionable.

Not in this case.

I'm shocked at how much smoother the bike runs, quieter the engine is, and better the gears change. I haven't wound it up to top speed yet, but it seems to move just as well, and wheelie a tad bit easier(??).

Very happy with this oil change ; and amazed really.

No, I don't work for Lucas oil :)...I work at a college:(

Anyone else try this ?
:cool: I ride in Guam average temp is 105 deg, I run 2 quarts of 20/50 Royal Purple or,top of line Castrol and top of Itop it off with 10/40 AMSOIL. I also warm bike up good then run it soft to get oil and tires right and crank it up, it is so hot all my bikes water temp run 175 to 215 running Honda blue and Royal Purple Ice. The oil is cooking so change it out every 1000 miles [email protected] filter every 2000 miles money not an issue my bikes running good is worth every dollar to me have (2) 2018 MT 09 (1) 2018 Yamaha SXR 900 and Honda CBR 1000RR all bikes ECU is flashed and full exhaust... Put around 4000 miles a year on each bikes no problems they all run like a Swiss clock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh god I’m posting in an oil thread... must be the end of the world. If you really want to talk about quality oils remember that full synthetic is very different than 100% synthetic. A 100% synthetic in a proper 10w40 would be a lot more tolerant to heat, and evaporative losses/thermal breakdown than a cheaper “full syn“

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
:cool: it is so hot all my bikes water temp run 175 to 215 running Honda blue and Royal Purple Ice. The oil is cooking so change it out every 1000 miles [email protected] filter every 2000 miles
How do you know the oil is cooking? What's the temp?
Modern synths will be fine at 120C plus and still give long life performance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I am running AMSOIL 10w40 and 20w50 50/50 mix due to the temperature in my Yamaha MT09. I run in is 85 to 120 degree weather and loads of humidity. I always start my bike get the water temp up to 150 deg and then run slowly till I fell the oil temp is at a good temperature and let it rip. It has been working for me, change my oil 1500 to 2000 miles. 10w40 is fine in weather that is not really hot all the time, but if you want you could use one quart 20w50 and the rest 10w40. All air cooled bikes run 20w50 all the time in hot weather.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Hi, I am running AMSOIL 10w40 and 20w50 50/50 mix due to the temperature in my Yamaha MT09. I run in is 85 to 120 degree weather and loads of humidity. I always start my bike get the water temp up to 150 deg and then run slowly till I fell the oil temp is at a good temperature and let it rip. It has been working for me, change my oil 1500 to 2000 miles. 10w40 is fine in weather that is not really hot all the time, but if you want you could use one quart 20w50 and the rest 10w40. All air cooled bikes run 20w50 all the time in hot weather.
You really have got it all wrong. There's no point mixing oils, it makes no difference, except possibly disrupting the additive blend in both. You don't know what temp your oil is running at and but are assuming it's hot. You can't tell by feel, except possibly by the feel of the gearshift. But that won't tell you if the oil is too hot.
I can tell you that if your oil is at its upper temp limit, your water temp will be way up too.
Ferrari recommend 5W/40 for the turbocharged 488 in all climates including the Middle East, a large market for them. That engine stresses oil far more than your 09 does.
Air-cooled engines often run thicker oil grades because many use oil as a cooling agent, and some of their clearances are greater.
If you run a top quality 10/40 synth you can't go wrong.
If you really want to know how your oil is doing, get it analysed.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts