Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2023 big mileage ride is shaping up, at least the framework of it is. It'll be a three course adventure...

Handwriting Black Blackboard Chalk Font

So yeah after the ECR, I plan on riding NE up to New Brunswick, then riding across Canada where I'll park the bike in Calgary for ~3 weeks (flying home for work). Once I fly back, I'll ride NW from Calgary, possibly stay at Banff or Jasper National Park, with the goal of ending up at Prince Rupert for the ferry down to Vancouver Island. Ride around the island, then ferry back to Vancouver and cross back into the US. I'll visit my sis in Wyoming, a buddy in South Dakota, drop in on the million dollar highway, then start making my way back to Texas.

Something like this:

Ecoregion World Map Line Atlas

Lessons learned from previous tour:
Don't pack so much shit.

Timing:
June - August
So far I have allotted about 6 weeks for this trip, but that's with some pretty flexible routing options. I'm using the formula "1 day to ride to a destination + 1 flex day", so it'll be roughly 21 days of actual touring and 21 days of ****ing around.

Lodging/Shelter:
As part of the "don't pack so much shit" mantra, I'll be leaving the comfy folding camp chair at home, same with the pourover kettle, and the coffee grinder, etc... I'll pack what I'd usually bring on a backpacking trip this time, partially because I don't have as much space with my new luggage setup and partially because I don't plan on doing a ton of cooking at the campsite this time (BEARS). Primarily though I'm going to try and utilize the Bunk a Biker resource and see how that goes. I've heard really good stories about it from the Advrider community so fingers crossed.

Route Considerations:
I caught some flak for this last year. A few people came in and told me I'm hitting too many boring freeways, which was 100% true (but partially necessary). I did ending up using some invaluable input from the forum on a couple of route adjustments though, increased the fun a ton and barely cost me any time. For this trip... not much has changed lol. I've left it up to the route god Google for now, and will re-assess closer to the trip date.
  • Leaving ECR I am focused on getting to Canada ASAP so I'll be taking the most direct route possible, riding out of NC I'm going to push for ~12-13 hours of riding which should get me to CT. From there it's about a 10 hour ride to St John, and I'll be spending an extra day there just to putter around and do some sightseeing.
  • From St John onward Canada the route options are pretty slim, especially when going by Bunk a Biker host availability... but if any locals know a neat road that doesn't involve a crazy long detour I'm all ears. I have about 14 days to make it from St John to Calgary and be on a flight home. Should be plenty of time I think?
  • From Calgary to Prince Rupert I'll be passing Banff NP, Jasper NP, and will be relatively close to about 5 or 6 different provincial parks. Would love some inside on this portion of the route if someone has any.
  • In Vancouver Island I'm still debating whether I'll have time to camp at Long Beach or not but that seems like it would be pretty neat.
  • Crossing back into the US I haven't decided whether to go with the Vancouver crossing, or if I should just traverse southern Canada to a crossing around Montana. Anyone?
  • Alpine to Rapid City will be a direct route, focusing on spending time with friends and family on this portion.
  • Rapid City down to Ouray route will definitely change a bit. Google routing currently won't let me go through certain spots likely due to roads that are closed for winter. I'll take my time through this area since the riding south and west of Fort Collins is generally pretty sweet, plus the temps would be amazing unlike being in Houston.
  • That's most of it, the rest of the trip will be finding my way home, likely as direct as possible. Might stop by that Yamaha dealership in ABQ with the insane tire prices... I'll need new tires by the end of the trip for sure.

I'll reply to this post with any more questions I might have. Writing down my thoughts here helps me visualize my plan a bit clearer and pick apart things that might need improvement, as usual thanks for humoring me ;)

· Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,365 Posts
My 2023 big mileage ride is shaping up, at least the framework of it is. It'll be a three course adventure...

View attachment 173889

So yeah after the ECR, I plan on riding NE up to New Brunswick, then riding across Canada where I'll park the bike in Calgary for ~3 weeks (flying home for work). Once I fly back, I'll ride NW from Calgary, possibly stay at Banff or Jasper National Park, with the goal of ending up at Prince Rupert for the ferry down to Vancouver Island. Ride around the island, then ferry back to Vancouver and cross back into the US. I'll visit my sis in Wyoming, a buddy in South Dakota, drop in on the million dollar highway, then start making my way back to Texas.

Something like this:

View attachment 173891

Lessons learned from previous tour:
Don't pack so much shit.

Timing:
June - August
So far I have allotted about 6 weeks for this trip, but that's with some pretty flexible routing options. I'm using the formula "1 day to ride to a destination + 1 flex day", so it'll be roughly 21 days of actual touring and 21 days of ****ing around.

Lodging/Shelter:
As part of the "don't pack so much shit" mantra, I'll be leaving the comfy folding camp chair at home, same with the pourover kettle, and the coffee grinder, etc... I'll pack what I'd usually bring on a backpacking trip this time, partially because I don't have as much space with my new luggage setup and partially because I don't plan on doing a ton of cooking at the campsite this time (BEARS). Primarily though I'm going to try and utilize the Bunk a Biker resource and see how that goes. I've heard really good stories about it from the Advrider community so fingers crossed.

Route Considerations:
I caught some flak for this last year. A few people came in and told me I'm hitting too many boring freeways, which was 100% true (but partially necessary). I did ending up using some invaluable input from the forum on a couple of route adjustments though, increased the fun a ton and barely cost me any time. For this trip... not much has changed lol. I've left it up to the route god Google for now, and will re-assess closer to the trip date.
  • Leaving ECR I am focused on getting to Canada ASAP so I'll be taking the most direct route possible, riding out of NC I'm going to push for ~12-13 hours of riding which should get me to CT. From there it's about a 10 hour ride to St John, and I'll be spending an extra day there just to putter around and do some sightseeing.
  • From St John onward Canada the route options are pretty slim, especially when going by Bunk a Biker host availability... but if any locals know a neat road that doesn't involve a crazy long detour I'm all ears. I have about 14 days to make it from St John to Calgary and be on a flight home. Should be plenty of time I think?
  • From Calgary to Prince Rupert I'll be passing Banff NP, Jasper NP, and will be relatively close to about 5 or 6 different provincial parks. Would love some inside on this portion of the route if someone has any.
  • In Vancouver Island I'm still debating whether I'll have time to camp at Long Beach or not but that seems like it would be pretty neat.
  • Crossing back into the US I haven't decided whether to go with the Vancouver crossing, or if I should just traverse southern Canada to a crossing around Montana. Anyone?
  • Alpine to Rapid City will be a direct route, focusing on spending time with friends and family on this portion.
  • Rapid City down to Ouray route will definitely change a bit. Google routing currently won't let me go through certain spots likely due to roads that are closed for winter. I'll take my time through this area since the riding south and west of Fort Collins is generally pretty sweet, plus the temps would be amazing unlike being in Houston.
  • That's most of it, the rest of the trip will be finding my way home, likely as direct as possible. Might stop by that Yamaha dealership in ABQ with the insane tire prices... I'll need new tires by the end of the trip for sure.

I'll reply to this post with any more questions I might have. Writing down my thoughts here helps me visualize my plan a bit clearer and pick apart things that might need improvement, as usual thanks for humoring me ;)
Very cool vacation plan. I can't get that kind of time off from work. I will be at ECR also. If you are heading to Connecticut from ECR, then I am extending an official invitation to have a pitstop at our lavish Massachusetts estate. We're only 50 minutes away and are in a perfect location to head out to all points north. We're right in the middle of your route. We'll feed you, offer you our (lavish)sofa bed, maybe do a little local ride and give you a place to check out you bike and do whatever you might need in repair, maintenance etc. I'm here with my GF and 2 lovable dogs. If you want to only stop for a sandwich and a breather that's fine too. When so far from home, it's good to have a port in the storm. BTW, if you need, you can have stuff shipped to and from here as you may need.

· Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a bit of a nutty schedule... I work 21 days of 12 hour days non stop, then I get 21 days off.

Thanks for the invite to Mass, let's chat about it at the ECR.

· Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,365 Posts
I have a bit of a nutty schedule... I work 21 days of 12 hour days non stop, then I get 21 days off.

Thanks for the invite to Mass, let's chat about it at the ECR.
I live in Swansea so you can look at the map and see where it is in relationship to your current plan.

· Super Moderator
4,690 Posts
Looks to be an epic adventure. While I can't see much detail with your map two things stand out. 1: it appears you have included the most excellent US12 alongside the trouty Clearwater River through Idaho over Lolo and into Missoula. I found that ride to be one of my most memorable, ever. And I did catch a pretty nice Cutthroat Trout on a #16 Pale Morning Dun that evening.

And then 2: you have mapped out a direct shot from Atlanta to Alberts, thus bypassing what are perhaps the best roads on the east coast. In the first few years of ECR me and a handful of really decent riders would make the trek from Atlanta hitting nothing but two lane twisties except for that hideous 45 mile stretch of hell getting out of Atlanta. After Dahlonega it was a high speed sleigh ride. Those trips wore us out and took the best part of 8 hours. I look forward to meeting you in Burnsville if the stars line up just so.

· Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks to be an epic adventure. While I can't see much detail with your map two things stand out. 1: it appears you have included the most excellent US12 alongside the trouty Clearwater River through Idaho over Lolo and into Missoula. I found that ride to be one of my most memorable, ever. And I did catch a pretty nice Cutthroat Trout on a #16 Pale Morning Dun that evening.
Oh man thanks for the heads up. That was a happy accident because I routed to go through Glacier Brewing Co in Polson, MT... but upon closer inspection it looks like my original draft route bypasses most of US 12. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back and include the whole US 12 onto my plans now. It looks like an amazing place for a pitch a tent.

And then 2: you have mapped out a direct shot from Atlanta to Alberts, thus bypassing what are perhaps the best roads on the east coast. In the first few years of ECR me and a handful of really decent riders would make the trek from Atlanta hitting nothing but two lane twisties except for that hideous 45 mile stretch of hell getting out of Atlanta. After Dahlonega it was a high speed sleigh ride. Those trips wore us out and took the best part of 8 hours. I look forward to meeting you in Burnsville if the stars line up just so.
The ride to Albert's is a bit of a race against time plus I'm considering dropping in on the Porsche Driving Experience in Atlanta for a spin in a GT3... if I skip the Porsche part I might opt for a more fun twisty ride towards Albert's. Do you have a route you can recommend?

· Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Swansea so you can look at the map and see where it is in relationship to your current plan.
Looks to be a couple hours east of my route for now, but I'll look at adjusting that. Would be nice to break up the ride into two days and end up at your place for some R&R.

· Registered
Batmobile
1,195 Posts
Skip riding up the east coast from the ECR and take a more direct north path and cut across PA. Beats all the coastal city traffic and you get to enjoy some more mountains even if you take highways.

· Registered
127 Posts
HI! I have not done it myself, but one ride is on my bucket list for sure; The Cabot Trail is surely one of the "must" do if you go by Nova Scotia. Maybe worth taking a look?

Then, when leaving the Cabot Trail, you could swing by "La Gaspésie" towards Percé (with its massive landmark "Le Rocher Percé") which is also very nice (i've done this one). Then when heading down the St-Lawrence river west, the north shore is "nicer" of a ride with the mountains and the such. You would need to jump on a Ferry which could be fun too. And of course, you would probably "need" to stop in the Old Québec city as well if driving through...kinda of a must ;)

Map Azure World Line Parallel

Sky World Cloud Tree Cityscape

Reactions: Budo

· Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks man, i think I've included the Cabot trail in my redesigned route thus far after researching some ride reports on adviser. Glad you brought it up since it validates the decision haha. Also the tip on Old Quebec, I had no idea. My initial plan was to push to Montreal but i might have to think about staying near that area for a night. Seems super neat.

· Registered
127 Posts
The Old Québec City is truly a must stop. You can spend the day walking around cobblestone streets, grab a beer on the multiple terrasses and the such. It's like taking a trip back in time ;)

That castle, is Chateau Frontenac. It is a massive luxurious hotel. There are multiple other places to stay in the Old Québec of course.

Window Infrastructure Road surface Building Sky

Sky Cloud Daytime Building Tree

• Love
Reactions: Budo
1 - 13 of 13 Posts