Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MT-09, 2017 STI
307 Posts
The 2022 ECR was my first year attending, after having joined the forum only ~7 months prior. These group of guys welcomed me in like a bunch of old friends and I had a blast up there. I fully intend on making it up there for 2023 if my work schedule cooperates. I'll know better by early 2023 and will inform y'all for sure.

For newcomers, I'll try to answer the questions I had prior to attending earlier this year:
  • What's the lodging situation like? When do I need to have the room booked by?
Usually stay at Albert's Lodge in Burnsville, NC. As for booking the room, the longer you wait the less chance you'll get a room. For last minute booking, call the lodge directly and talk to Van or Debbie. They'll let you know what availability looks like. I managed to book my room just about a month prior to the event this year, though it's not in the same wing as the rest of the group.

• Can I camp/bring an RV?
Yes. You'll have to call Albert's Lodge directly to inquire about the details for this. I know one person camped this year and another slept in their own sprinter camper van. They do have hookups to a certain extent but I'm not 100% sure how many. I believe you'll need to cozy up to someone with a room though, to use the bathroom facilities (won't be an issue as they're all a friendly bunch).

• Is there an itinerary for the riding portion?
Nope. Imagine you took a trip with your buddies to some place with limited plans and just go out adventuring each day. It's kind of like that, but with some dudes that know the roads in the area pretty well and end up splitting into 2 - 3 groups riding various routes. You're encouraged to just hang out with the group at night and figure out who you might want to join for a ride in the morning.

• What's the riding skill like? Am I going to get left behind?
When I joined we had a huge variance in riding skill level. You won't get left behind, even when I joined up with riders who are significantly faster than me they waited at junctions. Moral of the story, there is no pressure to keep up. Ride your comfortable pace.

• What's the food situation like?
Dynamic. Sometimes people grill. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes a group will splinter off and get bbq. Sometimes an asian guy breaks out the camping pot and makes himself ramen. Bring as much food as you want for yourself or bring more to share, it's a pretty flexible situation. There's a grocery store about 30 min ride away where you can stock up on food and beers.

• What's the booze situation like?
Same as the above. Just don't drink and ride.

• What's the weather like? Do you still ride when it rains?
Well this year it was mostly fine. Got rained out one day but we still went riding, and once it dried out I took off on another 90 minute ride solo. My advice is to just come with the expectation of hanging out with a bunch of "cool dudes you met on the internet." A few years back apparently it rained the entire weekend and most of the crew just hung out at the motel and drank and ate to their hearts content, which still sounds like an amazing time to me.

• What else is there to do in the area?
A LOT of hiking. The area is incredible. The lodge itself is situated across the road from a sweet hiking trail to a spectacular waterfall (Roaring Forks Fall). If you're willing to ride a bit further (15 - 45 min) there are several state parks and recreation areas where you can hike around. If you have the week free and happen to be an outdoor nerd I'd highly recommend looking into the hiking in the surrounding region. There is a golf course right next to the lodge if that's your thing. We had a group dinner at the restaurant there this year. Good food, great booze, and fantastic company.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll update if anything else comes to mind.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
Sorry to be dense, maybe I missed it, but do we have dates set for this yet? I'd like to join if I can. Shamy indicated June 9, is that the weekend?
Let's go ahead and say this is the date.
I'll sticky this thread and add to the title.

@Budo made a great post for new comers, so check it out!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
I reserved June 7 - 12 today. I am sharing with Muc and Tom. Make sure that you make your reservation by phone. If you try and reserve online, those dates will show as unavailable as they cleared that week for ECR 23. I'm stretching it out a little as I have so much travel time and I want to be able to be fresh for riding motorcycles, not exhausted from driving. I have a 1700 mile round trip........it's worth it.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,224 Posts
I'm reserved at Albert's Lodge already and tripling up with Muc and Tom. Who else definitely has decided to go? To all new people to this forum, know that you are all very welcome and encouraged to join us. This past June ECR22 was my first and it was way cool being a part of this FZ09 forum tradition.

·
Administrator
3,304 Posts
I’m planning on camping out back again next year in the benz. I’ll still have to call Debbie/Van to set that up. My significant other might join too, so we’ll be riding as sweepers probably at the back of any group. Slow as we please. :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts