Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw this out there. My friend Tom and I are ready to go for the 2023 ECR. My riding plans for 2023 are very limited. My riding season will consist of the ECR and hopefully a trip to the dragon with @abe57 and his crew from Indiana. The reason that I'll be limited next year is I'm planning on having weight loss surgery shortly after my last spring outing and will have an extensive recovery that will probably limit my ability to ride the rest of the season.

I've struggled with my weight since I was in grade school and my health is telling me I have to take significant action soon before it's to late to reverse the effects of carrying around the extra weight. So I'm going to bite the bullet and have the surgery.

The reason I brought this up is that I want to make sure that, we plan and set the dates and confirm with Van and Debbie early enough that I can know when I'm shooting to schedule my surgery. I know that it's about time that the planning of this event gets passed on to the next generation, and want to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks.

This event is the major highlights of my season and I look forward to it every year. I'll be double looking for to it this coming year since I won't be riding much. Let's start chatting about what we need to do to make the coming ECR the best it can be and I'm more than willing to lead the planning charge if necessary.

Thanks,

MUC

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,230 Posts
Just wanted to throw this out there. My friend Tom and I are ready to go for the 2023 ECR. My riding plans for 2023 are very limited. My riding season will consist of the ECR and hopefully a trip to the dragon with @abe57 and his crew from Indiana. The reason that I'll be limited next year is I'm planning on having weight loss surgery shortly after my last spring outing and will have an extensive recovery that will probably limit my ability to ride the rest of the season.

I've struggled with my weight since I was in grade school and my health is telling me I have to take significant action soon before it's to late to reverse the effects of carrying around the extra weight. So I'm going to bite the bullet and have the surgery.

The reason I brought this up is that I want to make sure that, we plan and set the dates and confirm with Van and Debbie early enough that I can know when I'm shooting to schedule my surgery. I know that it's about time that the planning of this event gets passed on to the next generation, and want to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks.

This event is the major highlights of my season and I look forward to it every year. I'll be double looking for to it this coming year since I won't be riding much. Let's start chatting about what we need to do to make the coming ECR the best it can be and I'm more than willing to lead the planning charge if necessary.

Thanks,

MUC
I want to be the first to say congratulations. I've roomed, hung out and ridden with you twice now in the last 2 years and I know you to be a great person. I admire that you just came out and told everyone. Most people wouldn't have the balls to do that. As you know, I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago and it was well worth it. It's a tough surgery but after a month you'll be feeling pretty good. If you did it in January or February, I think you'd be fine for April, May and June. Your going to do great.

I would say that I'm in for ECR excepting a world war, the collapse of democracy or some kind of natural disaster. Let me know what your thinking.

·
Administrator
3,316 Posts
Good for you, Marc! Hope all goes well with it.

As for the ECR, I'm down for anything. I am free any date usually.
You guys still thinking about the first week of June or so?

I'm also cool with doing stuff in cooler months as well. Possibly late May or so too.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
Even though ridetofish has been AWOL from ECR for the past few years I still feel that it's his rodeo.
I'm good for any dates that get chosen and I think we should get started on picking something. As we all know planning around the weather doesn't work and the traditional June weekend would work for me.
Marc, I know everyone of us will deal with whatever your schedule requires so let us know what is best for you!

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,230 Posts
Even though ridetofish has been AWOL from ECR for the past few years I still feel that it's his rodeo.
I'm good for any dates that get chosen and I think we should get started on picking something. As we all know planning around the weather doesn't work and the traditional June weekend would work for me.
Marc, I know everyone of us will deal with whatever your schedule requires so let us know what is best for you!
I like the idea of working it with Marc so that he definitely can be there. Let's keep the conversation going and see how it develops.

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
1,678 Posts
I want to put this on my schedule and make it out this year.....earlier planning will let me make that happen so I'm all ears. My family has been wanting to do a spring/summer trip east to michigan (where the grand parents live) so I may be riding south from Michigan rather than east from Nevada. I don't have any particular dates in mind, I'm open to whatever.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well @ridetofish reached out to ask me what dates I preferred, my response was that I like where it typically falls in June. I just need to know where my black out dates are for the surgery.

@shamrock , I agree that it's @ridetofish rodeo, but I think I feel bad not taking some responsibility.

@ChesterBurnet if the late spring early winter weren't my busy time at work, I'd think about scheduling it then. There's no real good time to do this but the summer has the least impact on everyone that isn't me, lol. I was going to do it this year but I put it off and really for no good reason.

I appreciate the support everyone, I just want to have a blast and avoid to much rain!

@psycoreefer I hope you can make it out this year!

·
Registered
Batmobile
1,137 Posts
I have the last weekend of May off 26-28, and the second weekend of June 9-11 off already, it would save me a little PTO of we could make it work around those dates, but I'll be there regardless.

Good on you Marc, my mother had weight loss surgery a few years ago and is an entirely different person now. I think it definitely added some years to her life and it's been a big improvement in her mental health too.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the last weekend of May off 26-28, and the second weekend of June 9-11 off already, it would save me a little PTO of we could make it work around those dates, but I'll be there regardless.

Good on you Marc, my mother had weight loss surgery a few years ago and is an entirely different person now. I think it definitely added some years to her life and it's been a big improvement in her mental health too.

I think our first choice is the weekend of June 9th but that depends on availability being confirmed at Albert's 🤞

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
This always falls on MotoAmerica's Road America round. That said, I may just blow off the races this year...a couple of people I always get together with were no shows and the buddy who I've gone with for the last 20+ years was a complete dick (I haven't talked to him since).

Not sure I'll have enough vacation to make it work at this point...our vacation doesn't run 1/1 - 12/31, it runs by your hire date and mine won't renew until late June. I will be checking out if I can make it work somehow. Trailering down would save me some time.

·
Premium Member
3,369 Posts
For many years we always planned two of our trips for early June and early September. Normally the week after Memorial Day and Labor Day. The kids were still in school, it was to soon for the leaf peepers and the Winnibagos were dormant. By mid June the roads clog up with tourists, campers, rafters, hippies and silver haired people from Florida.
June 9th sounds fine but someone needs to check with Alberts for availability.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
2,230 Posts
I negotiated an extra week of vacation when I changed jobs last month so I'll make the date work.

For new people on this site.....ECR = East Coast Rally. I think the history was that our moderator, Ridetofish and a few others organized an informal get together when this site was new. It's in the Appalachian Mountains in Western North Carolina and it's gorgeous twisty mountain roads that sport bikes were made for. The hotel is called Alberts Lodge and they are extremely motorcycle friendly.

This being said, I've met up with a few other people from this site for rides but never made it to ECR until this past June. It's a great experience. everybody is friendly and inclusive. There's no formal agenda, it just unfolds as people start arriving. Smoozing and riding motorcycles. Fast groups and slow groups. Nobody judging or criticizing. You don't have to have a lot of experience or ride like a pro.....just meet new people and have fun. I liked every single person I met for the first time as well as the ones I knew already. I'm taking the time to write this as there's a good time to be had and hang out with like minded riders. If it sounds like something you'd like to try or do, don't hesitate to join in. you will be welcome. My only 2 regrets about this is that I wish I was closer to some of the people I've met so I could hang out more often and that it doesn't last long enough.
Chester out

·
Super Moderator
4,625 Posts
1st time I heard of ECR. Is it the weekend of June 9th, 2023 then? How many days is it, etc. Love riding that area!!!
Go back over previous threads in this, "events" sub forum and read through reportage to get a feeling about what is to date the only annual rider gathering for fz09.org members & friends. June 2023 will be the 9th Edition. Do join us.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts