Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed on day 1 that when I apply the front brakes while moving forward there's a clunk in the front end. Then while stopped, if I pull back on the bars while holding the front brake, the same clunk, but not quite as loud. Then the first time I apply the front brakes while moving, the clunk again.
If I hold the front brake and push forward and backward, I get the clunk each time I change direction and I can see the front tire move approx. 1/4 inch. At first I thought was the brake pads.
I can grab the front brake rotor while holding the wheel and move the rotor approx. 1/8 inch front to back, (rotational movement) but not side to side.
Took it to the dealership and the mechanic said it's normal for floating brake rotors. This is my first Yamaha and none of my other bikes have ever had that much play (if any) in the floating brake rotor.
Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I may be wrong, but that doesn't sound right. The only time I heard a clunk was when I attempted to push my bike but neglected to remove my rotor lock :ROFLMAO:
I'm certain you will get more helpful replies

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Floating calipers have movement axially, that's side to side in line with the axle. They should not have movement rotationally. I've just checked my '14 and there is no rotary play at all.
Clicks and clunks are often the pads moving in the caliper.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
It's not the clamps that are causing the Clicks and clunks, only the brake discs are loose.
Well, if the discs are worn enough to move rotationally on the buttons or on the mounting bolts you have a real problem.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Your English is a million times better than my Polish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I noticed on day 1 that when I apply the front brakes while moving forward there's a clunk in the front end. Then while stopped, if I pull back on the bars while holding the front brake, the same clunk, but not quite as loud. Then the first time I apply the front brakes while moving, the clunk again.
If I hold the front brake and push forward and backward, I get the clunk each time I change direction and I can see the front tire move approx. 1/4 inch. At first I thought was the brake pads.
I can grab the front brake rotor while holding the wheel and move the rotor approx. 1/8 inch front to back, (rotational movement) but not side to side.
Took it to the dealership and the mechanic said it's normal for floating brake rotors. This is my first Yamaha and none of my other bikes have ever had that much play (if any) in the floating brake rotor.
Anyone else have this?
You should take it back to the dealer and let them fix thus issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts