Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new MT09 over the weekend and put about 80 miles on it. This only happened once, but I thought it was weird. When I was accelerating from a stop I could not get the bike to go into second using the QS. I wasn't accelerating very hard, but I did give it more gas than normal. I then tried to manual shift into second but it still would not let me. I had to force the shifter harder before it pop into gear. This made some horrible gear sound which I wasn't happy about. Just want to see if anyone else has this happen.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Have you checked clutch free play for the manul shifting issue? The clutch may not be disengaging fully.
And, you have a warranty. Tell your dealer about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the dealer is two hours away.....I'll ride it some more and see what happens. You are probably right it might be the clutch not fully disengaging, I'll check the cable slack.

·
Registered
2021 MT-09
134 Posts
As far as the QS, it's been discussed and several here have experienced a somewhat stubborn 1-2 upshift using the QS, and therefore manually shift to 2nd, and use the QS for 3-6 only. I do it this way as well.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
237 Posts
Quickshifting from 1st to 2nd requires quite open throttle and decisive force with your foot.
You should avoid it unless you ride really fast and the conditions are right.
Since you are in the break in period, I wouldn't recommend it yet.
The bike is new and the engine has to break in so in some degree ,it makes sense to be more difficult for the gears to change.
Happened to mine too, it improves after a couple of hundred kms or so.
Just ride your bike and don't worry.

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha MT-09 SP
87 Posts
I was informed by my dealer to not use the quickshifter until the first 600 mile break-in period. clutch and transmission need to be broken in/lubricated as well.
I noticed that after my exhaust install that QS from 1 to 2 is a bit more rough but 2-6 QS so smooth.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,924 Posts
My experience with a 2016 XSR900, 2017 FJ09, 2019 MT10 is that they all shift like shit until the 600 mile oil change and then they are golden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I should have been more clear, my main concern was that I had trouble getting into 2nd manually. I am going to adjust the clutch free play and see what happens after break-in period.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I should have been more clear, my main concern was that I had trouble getting into 2nd manually. I am going to adjust the clutch free play and see what happens after break-in period.
If you haven't already set your shifter to your settings .Adjust it if you need to,If you have to lift your foot to shift it's not adjusted properly !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts