Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to the forum.
I normally don’t buy new bikes that often, just because I don’t hang onto them for a long time. I just like different types of riding and can’t afford to own every kind for every type of riding.
I’m considering buying a brand new XSR900 however, as I feel it’s a good price and bang for the buck.
I’m about to start the arduous task of reaching out to dealers and going in to start the haggling process.
Just wondering what some of you ended up paying otd. Now I know sales tax is different in every state, but an approximate figure is fine.
Thanks!
Jon

· Registered
492 Posts
Base price is up to $10,200 for the 23’s, so expect to be in the $12-13k range. Dealer fees are no joke now, and due to current supply there won’t be too much room to negotiate as someone else will be willing to pay it.
Agreed. With current supply issues, negotiating on price might be a thing of the past since as you said, the next guy has no problem paying full price so why would they want to lose money?

· Registered
102 Posts
For sure. When I got my ‘21 XSR the first place I went to quoted $13.3k and came down to $12.3k, but it had been a while since I’d bought a new bike so with a base price of $9.5k I thought they were on crack. I talked to them a few days later hoping to bring them down more but they’d already sold it to someone for the $13.3k (assuming they were being truthful) and all I could say was well done to them. In the end I went to a dealer out of town and paid around $11.7k I think, and they threw in a pair of CRG lane splitter mirrors. That’s what I always try to do, if I can’t get the price down enough, go for swag items to be thrown in to sweeten the deal.

Agreed. With current supply issues, negotiating on price might be a thing of the past since as you said, the next guy has no problem paying full price so why would they want to lose money?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! Yeah, that’s what I’m expecting, no negotiating. I’ll see what they do for me here in Jacksonville, FL. but they’ll probably try something ridiculous. I’m willing to shop anywhere in the country for the right price and ship it if need be.

· Registered
492 Posts
I’m willing to shop anywhere in the country for the right price and ship it if need be.
I have done that with a few bikes in the past and never had any issues. There are good deals to be found, when shopping online I have been shocked at how much of a price difference there can be between dealerships in different regions of the country.

· Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
87 Posts
For sure. When I got my ‘21 XSR the first place I went to quoted $13.3k and came down to $12.3k, but it had been a while since I’d bought a new bike so with a base price of $9.5k I thought they were on crack. I talked to them a few days later hoping to bring them down more but they’d already sold it to someone for the $13.3k (assuming they were being truthful) and all I could say was well done to them. In the end I went to a dealer out of town and paid around $11.7k I think, and they threw in a pair of CRG lane splitter mirrors. That’s what I always try to do, if I can’t get the price down enough, go for swag items to be thrown in to sweeten the deal.
I never try to negotiate on the price of the bike itself outside of asking about military discount or incentives. I always try and get gear or accessories thrown into the deal. Most dealers I’ve worked with are more than happy to go that route. I tried to get an AGV Pista out of the dealer i bought my 2020 ZX6r from a couple years ago. I can still hear the laughter. It was worth a shot though lol

· Registered
102 Posts
It’s funny because they laughed, but they have so much markup on riding gear. Whatever the price
of the helmet or pants/gloves/jackets, you can half it to get their cost. Bike parts and accessories not so much. I don’t know about AGV specifically, but Arai, Shoei, Alpinestars, Dainese, 40-50% of the price in the store is markup so it’s likely similar although the Pista is a pricey one! They have to make a profit somewhere or they’d close, so I won’t begrudge them of that as we need these local shops.

I never try to negotiate on the price of the bike itself outside of asking about military discount or incentives. I always try and get gear or accessories thrown into the deal. Most dealers I’ve worked with are more than happy to go that route. I tried to get an AGV Pista out of the dealer i bought my 2020 ZX6r from a couple years ago. I can still hear the laughter. It was worth a shot though lol

· Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
87 Posts
It’s funny because they laughed, but they have so much markup on riding gear. Whatever the price
of the helmet or pants/gloves/jackets, you can half it to get their cost. Bike parts and accessories not so much. I don’t know about AGV specifically, but Arai, Shoei, Alpinestars, Dainese, 40-50% of the price in the store is markup so it’s likely similar although the Pista is a pricey one! They have to make a profit somewhere or they’d close, so I won’t begrudge them of that as we need these local shops.
Well its a $1500+ helmet (sale price) but i just couldn’t help myself. I’m not mad at them. If i remember they did throw in a smoked windscreen and a few other small pieces of gear. this particular dealer is known in the area as one to avoid so i was surprised that they even did that.

· Registered
2021 MT-09
152 Posts
I didn't bother trying to negotiate on the 2021 MT09 I picked up new in June of last 2021 - I new it was pointless due to the short supply and high demand in my part of California. But my "discount" came in the form of them agreeing to take my '08 Suzuki 1250 Bandit with 25k miles as a trade-in. They were reluctant but I was persistent - I simply repeated, "let's do whatever it takes to make this work". They asked me how much I wanted to get for the Suzuki, I responded $2000 would be nice. They offered $1700 and I nodded solemnly and said that would work (I would've taken $1000 just to get if off my hands and not have to deal with listing on Craigslist!). So, I got my "discount", they kept my trade-in, and I rode home on my new MT09!

· Registered
2014 Yamaha fz09
87 Posts
I didn't bother trying to negotiate on the 2021 MT09 I picked up new in June of last 2021 - I new it was pointless due to the short supply and high demand in my part of California. But my "discount" came in the form of them agreeing to take my '08 Suzuki 1250 Bandit with 25k miles as a trade-in. They were reluctant but I was persistent - I simply repeated, "let's do whatever it takes to make this work". They asked me how much I wanted to get for the Suzuki, I responded $2000 would be nice. They offered $1700 and I nodded solemnly and said that would work (I would've taken $1000 just to get if off my hands and not have to deal with listing on Craigslist!). So, I got my "discount", they kept my trade-in, and I rode home on my new MT09!
I always tell people as long as you’re happy with your bike, that’s all that matters and you got a good deal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts