Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
1,194 Posts
taking my new 2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP in for it’s first 600 mile service later this week and wondering is it ok to go full synthetic oil this soon❓ my question also had me wondering if new bikes are coming outta the factory with full synthetic oil already in there❓hey guys let’s not make this about our oil brand of choice, please gimme opinions or even mo betta facts on my synthetic dilemma😂❓
Come on....why can't we make it about our oil brand of choice❓
Liquid Bottle Fluid Electronic device Font

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I switched to full synth at my 600. No problems...
[/QUOTE
The running in issue with synth hasn't been a problem for many years. Modern engines are designed for low friction oils. Some car engines don't specify the first oil change for 30K.
All my new bikes and cars in the last 15 years came with synth or semi synth.
ain’t it funny though that sumthin you hear from years ago still sticks in your head cause what you just said is exactly what I was thinking and even my mechanic buddy is telling me that’s no longer an issue👍🏻

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
You guys do understand you do not have to take your bike in for the 600 mile service to keep your waranty ! They say to check the valves but they don't or you would see a valve cover gasket on the bill plus possible coolant.and most likely do not do a sync ! All they do is look at the basic stuff like throttle cable adjustment and change the oil !

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
82 Posts
You guys do understand you do not have to take your bike in for the 600 mile service to keep your waranty ! They say to check the valves but they don't or you would see a valve cover gasket on the bill plus possible coolant.and most likely do not do a sync ! All they do is look at the basic stuff like throttle cable adjustment and change the oil !
At the 21 model manual it doesn't mention any of these.Only oil and filter.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Then they only look at the basic stuff you can do your self and change your own oil !! Just be sure to get a good oil filter wrench because that thing is going to be TIGHT and very frustrating to remove without one ! Like this ....

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
All it gets is a oil & filter change, i stood & watched whilst chatting. The service manager asked if i had any problems with the bike so far & no was my answer. The mechanic checked coolant level, chain tension, brakes & controls & changed the oil & filter, took about 15 mins before i was out the door. That's the first service, i watched it. Parts cost £58 & labour was £62 & i got my book stamped. (y)

Toecutter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
All it gets is a oil & filter change, i stood & watched whilst chatting. The service manager asked if i had any problems with the bike so far & no was my answer. The mechanic checked coolant level, chain tension, brakes & controls & changed the oil & filter, took about 15 mins before i was out the door. That's the first service, i watched it. Parts cost £58 & labour was £62 & i got my book stamped. (y)

Toecutter.
best take my damned book wit me den there’s another ball I woulda dropped which reminds me sumthin else I once said “drop the mic not da bike” 👍🏻😂

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Then they only look at the basic stuff you can do your self and change your own oil !! Just be sure to get a good oil filter wrench because that thing is going to be TIGHT and very frustrating to remove without one ! Like this ....
nice pic King💯👍🏻

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ya for me it’s psychological comfort besides me and the mechanic we good 🍺 drinking buddies he never steers me wrong💯👍🏻 if you was half as incompetent a wrench as me then you know a trustworthy mechanic is totally worth it’s weight in pints 🍺😂

21 - 31 of 31 Posts